Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What ever happened to the old tried and true handshake? Nowadays, you never know what to expect when shaking someone's hand. Is it going to be the old fashioned firm grip style? Maybe the hand clasp deal? The gyrations that go on for a minute? Wtf?

There's a GM revolver shooter that used to live in the area who always tries to greet me with some sort of "home boy" handshake, despite the fact that I never have any idea what the heck I'm supposed to be doing. I can barely pull off a normal handshake.

A good FIRM handshake while looking the other person in the eye is what you'll get from me. Do it like you mean it.:cheers:

Pat

Same here :cheers:

A handshake is a sort of bond, shown in friendship or business, it best be sincere!

Its ok to be quite gentle when shaking a Ladies hand :rolleyes:

Jim

Edited by GentlemanJim

I prefer a good handshake myself. With kids, I do use the fist bump.

It's the ladies that freak me out. Some want a handshake, some want a hug, some want a kiss and others just run away. :surprise:

It's the ladies that freak me out. Some want a handshake, some want a hug, some want a kiss and others just run away. :surprise:

Stick with simple things like astrophysics or engineering :roflol:

Ladies are FAR too complicated for us to understand :goof:

Jim

Edited by GentlemanJim

You'll get a good firm handshake from me. Unless you try to pull that canted over quasi dominance BS with me. Then I'm going to crush your hand while turning it over so you're in the "submissive" underhand position. I have a good friend that picked it up from his father. One of these days he's going to learn that it's not necessary to try to impress me. :blink:

Personally Id rather not touch you, You might be the greatest guy in the world but seriously I just dont want to touch you and dont like others presuming I want to touch them. And it is usually people that I dont know at all that expect me to touch them. But then I feel like an outcast if I dont, but then I feel like a schmuck for not standing up for myself and submitting to the habit,,, I should take up the Japaneses head bow

You'll get a good firm handshake from me. Unless you try to pull that canted over quasi dominance BS with me. Then I'm going to crush your hand while turning it over so you're in the "submissive" underhand position. I have a good friend that picked it up from his father. One of these days he's going to learn that it's not necessary to try to impress me. :blink:

When I sense some "quasi dominance BS" coming, I typically offer my left hand. This totally takes people off guard and puts them in a submissive role, if only for a moment. :devil:

When I sense some "quasi dominance BS" coming, I typically offer my left hand. This totally takes people off guard and puts them in a submissive role, if only for a moment. :devil:

Well played, sir! I'm going to enjoy that confused look on his face next time I see him! :cheers:

I have now quit shaking hands the "old fashioned way." When meeting someone I now take 3 quick steps and launch myself into the air as high as I can and do the chest bump.....:ph34r:

Why not the best of both worlds? Do a bro-hug - you know the sort of soul slap of hands along with a tender yet distant hug with just one arm while keeping your clasped hands between you and the huggee. It has a hint of both manliness and heartfelt emotion.

Oh you guys! I miss you!!!

Merlin, you've never greeted me that way so I am VERY disappointed. Pat, I'll let you know in advance next time I am headed to Albuquerque and Jim, a hug might accompany that sincere handshake cuz I still appreciate your help with my barrel (that is, if Ms. Nancy doesn't mind!). Jamie... my flight got cancelled otherwise, I would have been in your fair city at this very moment. I agree with all of you!!

I had 26% turnover on my team last year (all but one was promotion related so good stuff!) but that's a lot of hand shaking. The cold, limp fish hand-shake wigs me out but not near as bad as the snively nose. Guy wiped his nose on his hand before I could offer him anything and then proceeds to shake my hand not once, but twice... once in my office when he stood to leave then again at the door of the elevator lobby. Needless to say, he didn't get the job.

Perhaps I am old-fashioned, but it still means something to me. Be firm, be confident and for heaven's sake, look at me when you do it! And Mark, if it's business or the first time we meet, don't touch me. A lady will always respect that.

Mr. Outerlimits... change nothing! Just keep on doing what you're doing. It's classy!!

Have a good evening, gentlemen!

Sherry

Edited by sdwilliams

I have now quit shaking hands the "old fashioned way." When meeting someone I now take 3 quick steps and launch myself into the air as high as I can and do the chest bump.....:ph34r:

So, you can get 3" off the ground? I was told that was an impossibility..... :roflol:

And that is why you get the pat down at the air port

...that, and the leg humping.

So, you can get 3" off the ground? I was told that was an impossibility..... :roflol:

Oh Grumpy!!! You aughta see him and Benny practice! It's priceless!!!

I prefer a good firm, serious handshake. I am never impressed by the jackwagon that must show his manliness by attempting to crush my hand or purposely grabs my hand further out towards the fingers while wrenching down, preventing me from returning the favor of turning their metacarpals into dust.

I also use the fist bump with other investigators after digging through a commercial wok range in some small town Chinese restaurant that caught fire over night. Ten year old wok grease may as well be fast acting Gorilla Glue and a firm handshake combined with this all natural super adhesive will result in hours of destructive disassembly of intertwined gloves, hands and/or fingers.

Edited by Firetoad