Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bushing or Bull?

Shay1911

Some folks like 5" guns to have bull barrels, and 6" guns to have bushing barrels....so you may want to add options. R,

Hey G-man, how have you been?

Run of the mill 5 inch Limited gun. I was talking to a GM, top 5 type, and he was entertaining switching from Bull to Bushing. Said he may want a lighter gun, quicker transitions. So we were debating, thats all.

Run of the mill 5 inch Limited gun. I was talking to a GM, top 5 type, and he was entertaining switching from Bull to Bushing. Said he may want a lighter gun, quicker transitions. So we were debating, thats all.

Hey Shay, things are good!

Well, for a 5" gun, I think most folks are better off with a bull barrel, a little more weight, and softer shooting gun. For someone like a super good GM, lighter weight will help a little, and not hurt.

I say that because with proper form, you can get a light gun to reset quickly, still shoot fast, and have slightly faster transitions, but that isn't going to be true for the average Joe or Jane (in most cases)...the lighter gun will likely cause them to struggle to control it, hurt their split times, and they don't move fast enough between targets for an ounce or two to make any difference anyway. R,

Hello: I have a light 6" bushing barreled pistol and like it alot. I also built a bull barreled 6" with a light slide. I like the bushing barreled one so far. I am getting the bull barrel lightened and will be able to tell more after I get it back. I am no GM but do like a light pistol. I have a 5" bushing barreled pistol and need to try a bull barrel in there to see how I may like it. I know I don't like the feel of a factory Edge. My 5" is like a STI Eagle with a bushing. I say try a bushing barrel and see. Thanks, Eric

I voted bushing even though my limited gun has a bull barrel.

I'm a C-class shooter, and if I were to build a limited gun from scratch today, I'd build it as heavy as possible (long dust cover, bull barrel).

I don't think it makes a huge difference either way, though.

My 5" gun has both a bull and a bushing. On the clock (the only thing that matters to me), there's no difference in splits. After the 4th round, I don't notice anymore. Oddly, they do sound remarkably different.... but the difference between barrels is only 1.4oz.

My 6" gun is a bushing and I wouldn't want any more weight on it. Its very light (37oz) and tracks well.

I have an STI Trojan and it, of course, has a bushing. I like it alot and can shoot SS with it as well as the other divisions (maybe at a slight disadvantage). Having a bushing just opens up your division options. If you're dead set on L or L10, the extra weight might help. On the other end of the weight spectrum, I know a guy who LOVES commander frames simply for the REDUCED weight and extra speed in transitions.

Much easier to make weight with a bushing.

Make weight?

Limited and L-10 guns don't have to make weight and you can't use a bull barrel for SS unless the barrel is 4.20" or shorter. R,

Did I miss something; where does the OP mention division or barrel length? "1911-style Pistols > Bushing or Bull?" is what I see.

Much easier to make weight with a bushing.

Make weight?

Limited and L-10 guns don't have to make weight and you can't use a bull barrel for SS unless the barrel is 4.20" or shorter. R,

Did I miss something; where does the OP mention division or barrel length? "1911-style Pistols > Bushing or Bull?" is what I see.

It's pretty much self-evident that a compact gun is not the ideal competition gun. SS specifically bans full sized pistols with bull barrels, and weight is irrelevant in Limited and L-10. Therefore, "weight" is not the consideration that makes a bull barrel undesirable, but rather, the fact that the rules prohibit bull barrels specifically make it undesirable regardless of weight.

I'm not even quite sure why the SS rules prohibit bull barrels in full size guns. I don't really think an aluminum frame with a bull barrel would offer any competitive advantage even worth discussing (so long as the weight restrictions stayed the same).

Its not about competitive advantage. The Special Notes in the rule book say it all...

"Only 1911 production type pistols. Must be available to the general public

and have their basis in the original 1911 service pistol as designed by John

M. Browning. Pistols made from components that duplicate the factory

originals are acceptable. Frames must be metal."

Browning didn't design a bull barrel.

I think this poll with serve a better purpose if the question was put in context...

as in division size of gun, discipline, wide or thin body etc..

all this things play a role on the bushing vs bull barrel question :)

Its not about competitive advantage. The Special Notes in the rule book say it all...

"Only 1911 production type pistols. Must be available to the general public

and have their basis in the original 1911 service pistol as designed by John

M. Browning. Pistols made from components that duplicate the factory

originals are acceptable. Frames must be metal."

Browning didn't design a bull barrel.

Browning didn't design a beavertail, commander hammers, bomars, flat topped slides, fiber optic sights, external extractors, frames with rails, magwells, 8 round magazines, or 1911s in calibers other than .38 Super and .45 ACP.

In other words, that argument fails if that's the only criteria. There are plenty of examples of things that deviate from the original design that are allowed, and, in fact, used by almost every competitor.

Never mind.... I don't have the energy.

The rules say you can't use a bull barrel but they say you can use that other stuff.... That's it.

The OP asked about 2011s.

Edited by Seth