Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 MAJOR Mags

Sarge

If you were putting together the parts today, to have some 9 major mags tuned for your STI what would you order?

My initial list looks like this:

STI 140 tubes (3)

STI 170 tube

SNL+1 pads

Grams springs and followers (13 coil)

Shooter's Connection steel spacers

I'm not interested in SV tubes at the present time. I would appreciate you mentioning reasons for your recommendations.

Thanks for your input.

Merry Christmas

Kevin sanders

That is basically the setup I use in my guns. I use 11 coil Grams springs in the 140's and 13 coil in the 170's. I use +1 SNL's on the 140's and +1 non-SNL's on the 170's and they fit the gauge without modifying the back corners of the feed lips. I use 170mm metal spacers from Shooters Connection (either H. Smith or Hardy) and cut/file to fit each mag. My mags have not been tuned.

Hello: I would add another 170mm mag and I use Grams 4mm base pads since they hold more than the Bolen or the Dawson "SNL". Do not glue the spacers in since you will be able to clean them better if you take them out. The Dawson followers work well with ISMI springs for them. You will have to check the gauge just to make sure they fit. Thanks, Eric

Why are you opposed to SV tubes? They do not need a spacer and work perfectly. Plus they are tough as nails.

3 things keep me using STI Mags 1. SV cost twice as much even used as new sti. 2. Half of them won't fit the gun till you hammer fit them. 3. The new ones won't fit the gun and have to be modified probably by a smith. I know a guy that shoots $100's of dollars worth of lead into cardboard evey month complaining about the cost of mags, go figure.

The SVI seem to be about as durable as the sti mag but they are more finikey about the follower than the STI. I don't particualrly like spending hours with a file fine tuning the follower to come up far enough in the mag for the last round to be fed. (Grams). Bolens seem to work best in the SV.

I shoot 140mm STI mags with no spacer and they work 100%. I'm using the metal spacer in the 170's. I also have several SV mags I use, since I already spent the money on them, had my smith make them fit the gun etc, filed on the follower till the cows came home etc.

And to the original quesiton I use same setup with +1 SNL pad.

Edited by CocoBolo

Why are you opposed to SV tubes? They do not need a spacer and work perfectly. Plus they are tough as nails.

The mag guy I'm using said they are just getting harder and harder to get to drop free from STI's.

I run 3 170's and 3 140's....you will start damn near every stage with your bigstick and only reload approximately half those stages. It is nice to have just as many bigsticks as 140's even if you go 2& 2.

I have had excellent function with SVI tubes Dawson pads and Grams guts (13 coil spring in 170's, 11 coil in 140's) in my gun.

I run mostly old SV tubes but I do have a few STI mags set up for 9mm Major. The SV 140s with Grams springs followers and base pads hold 24 rouds reloadable and the 170s hold 30 rounds. My STI tubes run Grams springs, followers and base pads with the Arendondo (sp?) plastic spacers with the side flap. The side flap keeps the rounds on the followers when you get down past the side ribs. The STI 140s hold 23 rounds reloadable and the 170s hold 29 rounds. I use 11 coil springs in the 140s and 13 coil springs in the 170s. I have tried Bolen followers and have never been able to get them to fit consistantly. They either sit low and don't feed the last round or come out of the top of the mag tube.

It is a good idea to have at least 2 170s. You will use them often and it helps to have an extra loaded one on hand. It's also a good idea to have 4 140s, so that you can do those goofy 3- and 4-magazine classifiers without dropping (or reloading to) a big stick.

Grams followers are very nice for making mags that just work. I use 11 coil in the 140s (with old +3 basepads) and 13 coil in the 170s. Bolens may enable you to get an extra round or get that half-round you need to make a mag reloadable.

If you have to clean your mags every time you drop them like I do (range surface = sand), you can't beat Dawson basepads.

(You should use SV tubes. I know you said you're not interested in them, but you should be. I have 11 of them and they all work very well. Yes, the new ones are expensive but old (used) ones are not, at least not as much. It is unlikely you will ever destroy one so just pay the price once.)

It is a good idea to have at least 2 170s. You will use them often and it helps to have an extra loaded one on hand. It's also a good idea to have 4 140s, so that you can do those goofy 3- and 4-magazine classifiers without dropping (or reloading to) a big stick.

Grams followers are very nice for making mags that just work. I use 11 coil in the 140s (with old +3 basepads) and 13 coil in the 170s. Bolens may enable you to get an extra round or get that half-round you need to make a mag reloadable.

If you have to clean your mags every time you drop them like I do (range surface = sand), you can't beat Dawson basepads.

(You should use SV tubes. I know you said you're not interested in them, but you should be. I have 11 of them and they all work very well. Yes, the new ones are expensive but old (used) ones are not, at least not as much. It is unlikely you will ever destroy one so just pay the price once.)

Thanks. For right now I am going with 2 140 and 2 170. After that I can keep my eyes open for the occasional mag to pop up in the classifieds.