Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Area 8 Championship - Sept. 1-4

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Split into a convoluted mix of half day and all day squads and I will admit that it escapes me how to schedule the match, but a two day half day format 5 stages Sat and 5 on Sunday and while you can put the same number through the match you will not finish early on Sunday. That can be problematic if your crew can't stay around to tear down the match. last shot by 2-3 on Sunday and the match can get torn down and put away. Last shot at 6 or later and you need to schedule crew for Monday!

The math on this isn't that hard. Everybody shoots the match in 2 - half day formats.

Friday is reserved for all day only.

Squad 1 shoots stages 1-5 in the AM, Stages 6-10 in the PM.

Squad 2 shoots stages 6-10 in the AM, Stages 1-5 in the PM.

For those who want choices, you can shoot all day Saturday, or a mix of Saturday and Sunday AM.

Squad 3 shoots stages 1-5 Sat AM, Stages 6-10 Sat PM

Squad 4 Shoots stages 6-10 Sat AM, Stages 1-5 Sun AM

Squad 5 shoots stages 1-5 Sat PM, Stages 6-10 Sun AM.

Obviously you can have more than 2 squads on the range at a time, but this gives you the format.

Correct, but this year the half day and two day formats were somehow mixed. If Friday is reserved for full day and Sat/Sun is reserved for two half-day runs, OK, but then Sunday is a full day with its own problems.

All of the replies and interest in seeing the match format one way or another are much appreciated. NO format has been approved or determined at this time. So chime in with your thoughts on what you want. The logistics of which one to use certainly wont be entirely debated here. H!

As a "local" it takes me about 1:15 - 1:30 one way to get there so a two day format would add 2:30 - 3:00 hours, double my drive time. But at the end of a single day with 10-12 stages in the heat of Aug, I know I'm not goming to be that fresh and at peak performance.

I can go either way, just happy to shoot it. :cheers:

Edited by Rob Tompkins

10 stages, half day. Was anyone really put out at Summer Blast? We've done it. We can do it. Get in shape. Drink enough fluids.

Anyone remember the Nationals in the summer at Barry? 105 in the shade. On the range ALL DAY. Shoot one sit one, shoot one. Now THAT was brutal.

Look, I don't care really one way or the other. If we have a two day match Sat/Sun, I will shoot one day on Friday. If we have it so I can shoot Saturday, I'd rather as that way I don't have to take off a day. Sunday is our regular Match in Old Bridge, so for some of us, shooting Sat/Sun will be out. As it is, this will strip us of a lot of our regulars, but there area enough people that won't be going that we still will need to build and run 7 stages.

So yes, I have a personal stake in how this is run.

Regardless, I will be there. Doubt I will be able to RO for a day, but maybe, we'll see.

Jim

Edited by Jim Norman

The optional format that Area 6, Bill Noyse Noyes, uses is a great format. No mixing of squads, everything works to precision. You can shoot in one day or two half days and every thing finishes on time.

What was used last year was different and had a problem or two.

I would hope that their format would at least be looked at.

Edited by ima45dv8
'Cause Gary cain't speel good

The optional format that Area 6, Bill Noyse Noyes, uses is a great format. No mixing of squads, everything works to precision. You can shoot in one day or two half days and every thing finishes on time.

Yes, it works quite well.

Staff and approved shoot-throughs on Friday.

Then,

- All day Saturday

- Saturday AM and Sunday AM

- Saturday PM and Sunday AM

It worked just fine even with 384 competitors this year.

Just something to consider...

Just my 2 cents, but I prefer to shoot it all in one day. But, I'm local to Fredericksburg. I do see the other side of the argument, though. In years past when I'd shoot an out-of-town major match, I'd get in town the day before and overnight it in a hotel. That would usually give me an opportunity to look the range and facilities over a bit the day before the match.

Honestly, since I'm local I'll shoot it whichever format is decided upon.

Again, JMHO. See ya'll in August, if not before. :cheers:

First let me say thanks to the good folks at Fredericksburg for putting on this match for the third year in a row. I know it is a lot of work since they run 2 majors per year.

Here is my opinion on the format. My ride is 4 hours to the match. I prefer to drive down the night before and shoot a full match in a half day format like Summer Blast or Area 7. Lots of shooting, match moves well and I only have to spend 1 night in a hotel. Second choice is drive down the night before and shoot the entire match in one day. Except for a National or World Shoot, I want no part of shooting over multiple days.

10 stages, half day. Was anyone really put out at Summer Blast? We've done it. We can do it. Get in shape. Drink enough fluids.

Anyone remember the Nationals in the summer at Barry? 105 in the shade. On the range ALL DAY. Shoot one sit one, shoot one. Now THAT was brutal.

Look, I don't care really one way or the other. If we have a two day match Sat/Sun, I will shoot one day on Friday. If we have it so I can shoot Saturday, I'd rather as that way I don't have to take off a day. Sunday is our regular Match in Old Bridge, so for some of us, shooting Sat/Sun will be out. As it is, this will strip us of a lot of our regulars, but there area enough people that won't be going that we still will need to build and run 7 stages.

So yes, I have a personal stake in how this is run.

Regardless, I will be there. Doubt I will be able to RO for a day, but maybe, we'll see.

Jim

I just love when the Summer Blast name is mentioned in Area 8...makes my heart feel good. Ok from one MD to another, I hate the East Coast in August (YUCK!)....I know this is silly but it might help if folks knew the break down of stages, number of short, medium and long. To me that makes a difference as to how many stages you can shoot. If I have to pack 10 long courses into a day, well that will be one long day. If it were like the Summer Blast 6 long and 4 short, well it can be done in a half day. Don't let Chris Keen fool you, the last Summer Blast he beat me out for the A Class Limited so he can do it! Great job Chris. Now if I can figure a way to get back during that time count me in! Only problem is I will have to use all three guns during the match! :cheers:

Make sure Gary Stevenes is you RM, he likes to hang around the Area 8 folks, we ooops!!! you give him good material to teach his RO and CRO courses :roflol:

Larry

Edited by sbmd

The 2011 Area 8 Dates have been changed to September 1-4.

Due to a scheduling conflict we could not put the match on the ground with the time aloted. We want to make sure that the Area 8 Championsip is the best it can be. With this in mind we opted to push the match back one week. This will enable us to build the stages and fine tune them over a weeks time. The other option was to try and build the match in a few days. A club match, possibely. A sectional maybe. Our Area Championship NO WAY! Our Area Championship is important to all of us. Our match will need this time to make it so. I apologize if this has caused any inconvenience to our competitors. Harry

Due to a scheduling conflict we could not put the match on the ground with the time aloted. We want to make sure that the Area 8 Championsip is the best it can be. With this in mind we opted to push the match back one week. This will enable us to build the stages and fine tune them over a weeks time. The other option was to try and build the match in a few days. A club match, possibely. A sectional maybe. Our Area Championship NO WAY! Our Area Championship is important to all of us. Our match will need this time to make it so. I apologize if this has caused any inconvenience to our competitors. Harry

Now it sits over our club match at LPRGC on Saturday. I hope to find a way to shoot both as thius is always a good match!!!

Maybe you could ask one of the Moderators to fix the title of the thread.