Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

All right you 930 ponderers

kurtm

Yes it has pictures!!

First off the 930 isn't easier to load than a Benelli...weak-hand wise. Don't forget kids Benny doesn't load like that! I had to really pare the fore-end back and bevel it to effectivly be able to smoothly weak hand the gun. The best I have done with it so far is a shoot one load eight and shoot one in 6.44 seconds, but I am not practiced up on it, and I feeel it can be done in the low 6,s. Next I had to hog out the loading port as it is SMALL from the factory (coned out around the mag tube) The good news is it is real easy to do!. Next, as with ALL shotguns I had to have the Lifter welded up....(more on the lifter latter). THANK YOU JEFF COCKRUM!!!!! It now is very easy to load and isn't thumb snaggy! The lifter on the gun I got was very slugish and it had several jams where the shell was trying to come out under the lifter because it wasn't dropping in time. I had to polish the sides of the trigger housing, Lighten the lifter, and re-spring it...NO MORE PROBLEMS!!!

I had to shorten the stock a bunch (man they come long and My arms ain't short!) I also had to file away the bottom of the stock at the receiver and re-do the stock spacer mount in the back to give it 5 degrees more drop...AND IT COULD USE MORE!!! When it came form the factory, NO-ONE who tried it could get down on it to see just the bead and we all saw the WHOLE rib and man it shot HIGH!!!

Mike Cyrwus at Accurate Iron shortened the barrel for me to 24" and I added a 9 round total tube from Nordic, Right now it doesn't have any choke.

The follower is coned and it will cause slugs to jam against the tube with the roll crimp, making it almost impossible to load fast. I changed it out for a Nordic follower and no more problems!

I had to relieve the bottom of the bolt carrier in the notch for the lifter, in order for the lifter not to be pushed off-center while weak-hand loading and jam the gun up. The lifter has A LOT of side to side play and making this notch bigger cured all the problems loading!

Recoil seems to be about the same as My Benellis and I attribute most of that to the stock drop and design. I will be adding a Limb-Saver pad this week-end and changing the angle of the stock to allow more drop yet.

The gun has been very reliable ( outside of the lifter issues which we curred early on) and it hasn't been cleaned yet after 700 rounds or so. It will be sent back to Mossberg early next week so they can see what I have done to it, and then after that they will decide what they will change on the gun if anything. There it is, my preliminary repeort. Hope that helps you guys thinking about them. In general I like it! KurtM

post-1176-041175100 1292008576_thumb.jpg

post-1176-050728100 1292008594_thumb.jpg

post-1176-039629100 1292008610_thumb.jpg

post-1176-053130900 1292008627_thumb.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:surprise: what is that silver line on the reciever opposite the bolt release at the top of photo #2??? Did you slip with the file???? :roflol: I have the exact same line on my Benelli :ph34r: I no longer work on my guns after work hours :cheers:

Thanks for posting all that kurt. I hope Mossberg listens, and takes serious note of what you have done.

Amigo! The loading port doesn't have to be beveled out anymore than what is shown for weak hand loading!!! I ment no disrespect when I said you don't load that way...you don't!

No my shotgun didn't come with ANY shims for stock fit, hence the changes I made. I am glad to hear they have them!!!

Mine came with a nice 3 1/4# trigger and it sure is easy to do a nice trigger job to them (as long as you know what your doing like Benny does!!) I got this one down to a litle over #2 1/2 but as my friend and mentor says....Thats a Grand Master trigger right there and far too good for you! :D ( that would be Mr. Hill!)

If you read my post you will realise why Benny charges the amount he does for this kind of work, and it is cheap at twice the price charged to get it all going on! KurtM

When I shouldered it after Kurt dinked with the stock and with the lighter front end, it felt like an entirely different beast. Nice balance,shouldered quickly, and my eye was quickly behind the bead. And while it was still a little bulkier than a Benelli,and maybe the same weight; it was much svelter than an FN.

Are we going to shoot it somemore at Pintos 3g match next week?

the more I hear, the more I like the idea of picking up one of these for 3gun next year. Does anyone have a ballpark time frame about when some competition models will be available from Mossberg or some tweaked ones from someone like Benny?

I don't know but Mossberg does seem to have an open mind to input from "real" shooters and I do think this will actually happen sooner rather than later.... cheers.gif If Mossberg listens to the guys they have guns with they will have (IMHO) the best shooting and definitely the most attractive gas operated competition gun available.

I have not had a chance to fondle Mr. Weakhand/Kurt's work with the 930 yet but I really do like the way Benny has his guns set up... Really nice (Benny modified) trigger and over travel and the gun is not that much heavier than the Benelli. It is lighter, smoother lines and simpler mechanically (read more dependable per the KISS principle.)

It does point high for me but that may be something that can be worked out of the gun. Loads well (with a little magic to the port) and seems really smooth.

I really like the safety location and it will sure be easier to see if it is engaged by the ROs when you come to the line or dump the gun. Safety can be modified to release easier with a little work.

I like the Nordic bolt handle but when you release it you better get you hand out of the way if you do it from over the top as it does not waste any time slamming shut....surprise.gif Bit me a few times before I learned to do it from the bottom up.

Just my .02 from a middle of the pack shooter.....cool.gif

Thank you very much for the information! I was hoping to catch up with you guys at FB3G and ask about them, but our squads were never both off a stage at the same time. :cheers:

Thanks for the post Kurt. I am excited to see what Mossberg offers from the factory later.

Pat

I would say if you guys plan on waiting for mossberg to build you a 3 gun shotgun I'd send an email and or a phone call to every address you can find. Thanking them for backing Jerry, Kurt and Benny. Tell them you heard good things and are awaiting the modifications Kurt mentioned above. Just like you do with all the other match sponsors.

I think I am going to get one of there short 930 field guns and give it a try at our IDPA 3 gun matches .Can't wait to see there all out IPSC version

Are ported barrels legal for IDPA matches? Keep those ports in mind. They'll toss you into Open if the match has it. If it doesn't, they'll just toss you out of the match.