Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blue Ridge Mountain 3-Gun Championship 2011

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I want to thank Andy, Tammy, and all those that made the match possible! The stages were great, and the RO's all busted their butts for days prior and during the match. I had a great time, and maybe some day will shoot better! :roflol: As Denise mentioned, squad 19 was a terrific bunch of people and I enjoyed their company.

Another great match put on by Andy Horner and crew. This match is probably the most challenging 3 gun event out there.

Blue Ridge is almost the opposite of Superstition Mountain in a lot of ways. SMM3G is a speedy drag race (2 Ds, I'm good to go!) whereas BR3G is more of a marathon. The weather is generally opposite too! The technical nature of the shooting and the scoring system really require that the shooter AIM every shot. Small plates for the pistol, tight no shoot shotgun targets (I never shot anything more wide open than modified), very challenging long range steel for the rifle. All while running around, half the time with a long gun slung to your body.

I may have won Tac Iron but I have to say that James Casanova's run on the rifle only stage (Stage 3) must have been a thing of beauty. I wish I could have seen that because that was some FANTASTIC shooting. But of course, he was rolling with a Pris too!

But Andy, whatever sacrifice the Weather Gods require, please make it.

Thanks Kelly! The stars definitely aligned on Stage 3... or maybe the Prismatic is just that good an optic! ;) Now if I can just learn to aim a pistol, I might start to give you guys a run for your money. Great shooting out there! :bow:

Andy and crew; Thanks for a terrific match and really fun stages, I know how much work you all put into it and it showed. Hope you all get a little rest. You more than earned it!

Thanks to Squad 19 too. It was great shooting with all of you; hope to see you out on the range again soon!

This was my first time at this match so they put me into the hole! Thanks to my fellow cave dwellers Tony, Don, Jim and Tom. You guys are total pros and I'd be happy to work with you all again. Thanks to the shooters who shot the stage for not getting too upset when we told you how many targets you missed.

To everyone else who helped put on the match and all the sponsors, THANKS!

This was my first time at this match so they put me into the hole! Thanks to my fellow cave dwellers Tony, Don, Jim and Tom. You guys are total pros and I'd be happy to work with you all again. Thanks to the shooters who shot the stage for not getting too upset when we told you how many targets you missed.

Was there anyone that didnt have a big grin on their face after shooting that stage, no matter how many targets they ran by?

I was happy that I only missed one! :)

Was there anyone that didnt have a big grin on their face after shooting that stage, no matter how many targets they ran by?

I was happy that I only missed one! :)

That was one of the 2 stages that i didn't get to shoot. Oh well maybe next time! Had a great time with squad 20, will try and make it back next year.

Thanks to all that worked and/or supported this match!!

Jim

+1 on a really good match, wish the weather had cooperated I really needed the last to stages to help out my abysmal showing on stage 3. I walked away from it without my virtue intact. :surprise:

I would like to extend an absolutely tremendous thank to the staff that set it up and made it happen. For those that haven't been you can't imagine the mess from the rain that they must have had to work in/with. THANK YOU THANK YOU! :bow:

Now for the needy part.

I misplaced the sheet of paper I used to write down the 5.11 discount code and the contact info for the FFL for the match. I would appreciate it if anyone can forward that info to me. PM is fine.

Thanks

Edited by smokshwn

This was my first trip to the BRM3G and I had a blast! Hats off to Andy and his crew for all the hard work putting on this match. Our squad did not get to shoot stages 3 & 4, but we sure had a ball shooting the others. We shot the Cave stage at the end of our first day and yes, I did have a smile on my face the rest of the evening after that.

I really enjoyed being on squad 15. Our squad actually would race to see how fast we could reset targets once we got the ok from an SO. At times we were shoving each other trying to get to the next piece of steel to reset it! I will say that if Mr. B. Payne wanted to get to one before you, then just let him have it. There was no way I was going to fight that big guy! :lol:

I've had friends ask me "how it went?" and all I can say is that no matter how prepared you think you are for the BRM3G, you're not. I shot in the TI division with my Aimpoint M3 and I was very pleased with being able to hit my long range rifle targets with that setup, but next year I'll be shooting in the TO div. for several reasons. :ph34r:

Good time with good people!

Thanks to Andy and all the crew at Rockcastle shooting center. This was my 1st 3-Gun and it won't be my last. A special thanks to all my friends of squad 15. You guys really made me feel right at home, and helped me out in many ways. I'm looking forward to next year. See ya then!

So Kelly, what happened was, James had on his knee pads, and I S _ _ T you not, he just leaped up from the ground like a demented goat and landed on his knees on the platform with his rifle up and ready to put on target!!!

You were watching him, and one second he was on the ground, and the next, he was on his knees on his platform in position!!!

Last year, he just basically leaped over that Dang water tank, too!

The guys a goat! (I mean that like the animal because he jumps and sticks on the side of mountains, not some perverted weird interpretation that you guys can think of!)

It was pretty amazing! Maybe Mark got footage....

Thanks to everyone again!

Denise

I've had friends ask me "how it went?" and all I can say is that no matter how prepared you think you are for the BRM3G, you're not.

4e6515b4.jpg

"BRM3G RO: "You see that little dot on the treeline? *Points 300 yards away* That's a rock - look beyond that and you'll see a target about 200 yards back."

"Really you want me to hit what?"

:lol:

In all seriousness though, it was plenty of fun and you really don't know your limitations until you shoot Andy Horner's match.

I'll be back next year - thanks for making it happen and props for handling the rain as fairly as possible given the circumstances. :cheers:

Hi Folks,

Sorry for the delay in getting scores posted, but I was on the road all day Monday and at work all day today. A huge THANK YOU to Mike, Scott, David, Bob, and Eddie who stayed and helped Tammi and Elyse take down stages yesterday!!!

Division results are posted on the match website Updates/Results Page. I don't think I will be able to get stage results up for another several days. Also, before anyone else finds the discrepancy, it seems everyone in TO should have another 0.42 match points added to their score. The calculations did not award the stage winner the entire 100 points, only 99.58.

Take care,

Andy

One thing that I think makes Andy's match so popular is it is about more than just shooting and having a good time. The fact the auction exists for the benefit of the Wounded Warrior Project is a source of pride for the match organizers, the shooters who attend, and those sponsors who donate. The value that this adds to the match for all concerned can not be ignored.

So Kelly, what happened was, James had on his knee pads, and I S _ _ T you not, he just leaped up from the ground like a demented goat and landed on his knees on the platform with his rifle up and ready to put on target!!!

James the Demented Goat. Nice Denise, nice. :roflol:

I may have won Tac Iron but I have to say that James Casanova's run on the rifle only stage (Stage 3) must have been a thing of beauty. I wish I could have seen that because that was some FANTASTIC shooting. But of course, he was rolling with a Pris too!

And, only his 2nd match in Limited! Yep, James crushed stage 3. He was loose and smooth. Once he hit the far left long range target on the first shot, I knew it was going to be a sub 100 second run. But sorry, we did not film at BRM3G.

I was RO on stage 3, and if remember correctly, there were only 3 shooters that finished the stage in under 100 seconds, clean. The "goat' and his primatic were something else. As an irons guy myself, I like to see a TI shooter rock the long steel better than anyone else that got to stage 3. I just do not like what is did to my percentage. Impressive shooting.

I was RO on stage 3, and if remember correctly, there were only 3 shooters that finished the stage in under 100 seconds, clean. The "goat' and his primatic were something else. As an irons guy myself, I like to see a TI shooter rock the long steel better than anyone else that got to stage 3. I just do not like what is did to my percentage. Impressive shooting.

I think stage 3 was the best stage I have had so far in three gun, its good to be lucky

I have noticed that the more I train the luckier I get ;)

Must be my Glass

Here's a little vid from the cave stage. Not quite as good as Jason's. Big thanks to him for letting me borrow his head-cam.

AWESOME! Thanks to you and Jason for the Cave videos. At least with those I can let my family and friends know what it looked like. :cheers: