Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wanted: Side Match Ideas

Im looking for side match ideas for the match I'm MDing this fall. Needs to be fun for the shooters and profitable for the chairity. Should be rewarding for the winners and level out the playing field. Does not necessarly need to use competitors equipment.

Stump Shoot!

Use 2x4's if 4x4's are too expensive.

If you do 2 or 3-man teams, you can balance the skill and/or equipment levels out somewhat.

Another interesting side-shoot / balancing act is the final shootoff they used to do at Paper & Iron. It was the same stage (4 plates and 3 paper interspersed, with a mandatory reload, I think), but there were a row of shooting boxes, one right behind the other. D's shot from the front box, C's the next one back, and so on (the GM box was another 3 feet back from the M-box). Best time (in time+ scoring won the $). Each time I saw it run, it was amazingly close time-wise for each of the classes.

Stump shoots are tremendously fun!

You can do them with everything from .22s to shotguns

Side matches with .22s encourage more participants of all ages and abilities, whether stumps shoots, ringing steel, or even breaking 'nilla wafers on target stands.

Shotgun side matches are fun for people who want to shoot 3-gun, but rarely get the chance. Set up 5-8 poppers in an interesting pattern and let people take turns with their own gun or a range gun for a couple of bucks a run. You can do it for bragging rights or small prizes, and people can shoot as many times as they wish. It's fast, exciting, and easy to administrate.

Stump shoots are tremendously fun!

You can do them with everything from .22s to shotguns

I agree that "stake shoots"(thats what we call 'em out here) are fun. But don't think that work well with open squadding. I like to have the side match availible at the shooters discression during the day and getting people to assemble teams may be difficult. NOt only that it would require the competiotor to bring alot more ammo.

With the paper & iron were all divisions lumped together or were they seperate.

Anyone hear of poker shoots?

A steel challenge type stage would be cool. Just get some of the big IPSC targets and a few of those self-resetting US poppers Richmond has. Don't even paint them between shooters. Must hit hard enough for RO to hear steel ring. Do a ten-yard Smoke and Hope with a resetting popper as the stop plate. Have a low ready start for .22s, auto shotguns, and pump shotguns. That'll really rake in the money.

blkbrd, oh yeah? Texas star at 50.

We set a 52+ round stage last weekend as a "bonus" to our classifier match, not necessarily for charity, but fun none the less. It was basically a speed shoot, lots of movement, no hard targets and everything was fairly close (<15yds) I think the fastest time ended up still being something around 30 seconds.

.22 speed shoots. You could use steel, animal crackers, or bowling pin tops (just cut off the top part).

A .22 rifle silhouette shoot. A .22 25 or 50 yard bullseye-style event.

I'd kind of like side-shoots that draw from different shooting disciplines to add variety to a match...stuff that most IPSC shooters don't see at most matches.

• 10 months later...

They had a plate rack set up at one of the Michigan IDPA matches a couple of years ago.

Fastest time with a .22 revolver won 50/50 payout. I think it cost $2-3 dollars each try. Distance was about 10-15 yards if I remember right.

Maybe Marmot452 can remember the fastest time :P

It made money because if you missed one you were hosed and had to pay another $2 to start over. A lot of people miss with a DA revolver! ;)

At the IL State IDPA match a couple of years ago they had a 2'x3' steel plate set up at about 125-150 yards maybe further (yes, yards) and you were allowed six shots. Fastest time minus penalties for misses. Best times/most hits were revolver guys....gotta love that.

50/50 payout.

I've got 2 ideas for you

1. Put clay pigeons at 1-6 yards and bust them with a airsoft, a CED 8000 will pick up the shots, and that way any age person can participate.

2. Contact a gun manufacturer, like STI, Glock, CZ, and see if they will donate one to use for the side match, then use it for the prize, and give all the money to

a charity, or the USPSA junior program hint hint!!

Thanks,

Manny

Build a two shelf rack to hold two rows of eight targets. Clay pigeons would be fun, but more expensive than the paper cups we used. Shooter brought his own ammo and with the use of one club members full auto MP5 we had a blast! You get 30 rounds to try to knock down 16 targets.

Many years ago, in the earlier days of IPSC, I did a side match I called "Snub Gun Fun". The prime rule (other than safety) is that the gun must have a barrel less than 4" long.

Since I did not trust people to have holsters for the small guns, at least any I wanted them drawing from at speed, so the start was with the gun on a card table. The shooter sat at the table. I don't recall the hand position at this point, but it would work with any consistent hand position, on knees or flat on table, for example.

There were two IPSC targets, one at two or three yards slightly to the right, and one at five yards slightly to the left. A clay pidgeon was mounted at the opposite side of the card table. At the signal the shooter acquired the gun, fired two rounds each at the two targets, then broke the clay pidgeon.

I don't think we scored it other than time, as long as everything was hit. Entry was a dollar a run, run it as many times as you wanted. Cash back to the top three with accounting for half the money, with the other half going to the club.

It seemed popular with the shooters and gave them an opportunity to see how different (or hte same) things could be with guns they rarely shot under time pressure.

Guy

D's shot from the front box, C's the next one back, and so on (the GM box was another 3 feet back from the M-box).

This sounds kinda scary.

Maybe I just can't visualize the layout.

As a "C" shooter, I've got an "A" shooter firing behind me? :blink:

-Chet

D's shot from the front box, C's the next one back, and so on (the GM box was another 3 feet back from the M-box).

This sounds kinda scary.

Maybe I just can't visualize the layout.

As a "C" shooter, I've got an "A" shooter firing behind me? :blink:

-Chet

It's a one-box speed shoot. Everybody shot separately.. the top D's would shoot, one at a time, score recorded for each, then the D box was removed and the top C's shot from the box further back and so on.

It's a one-box speed shoot. Everybody shot separately.. the top D's would shoot, one at a time, score recorded for each, then the D box was removed and the top C's shot from the box further back and so on.

Ok, cool. Now I see. I was thinking it was man-on-man.

-Chet