Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer follow?

Sarge

I am experiencing this very issue.

My gun has an EGW sear, EGW disconnector, and the Koenig hammer. I cannot for the life of me figure out why I continue to have following during my stages.

In this video at the 5 second mark you see where I have to rack the slide. That was NOT an ammo/battery issue. I am very conscious of this problem and always look quickly at the hammer. It was down.

This following issue has me in tears. :(

A common cause of hammer follow is trigger bounce. Too many people concentrate on minimizing pretravel in the trigger system, not realizing that the ignition system needs a certain amount of pretravel to provide clearance for the trigger moving back due to inertia. The lighter the trigger pull gets, the more important this becomes since the center leg of the sear spring is able to provide less tension against the trigger.

A gun with a borderline amount of pretravel can exhibit hammer follow depending on how it's gripped. The more it moves during recoil, the more likely it will happen.

This.

It happens during fast splits because you probably slap the trigger, releasing the trigger while the slide is open, and then when the slide slams closed, the trigger bounces dropping the hammer to half-cock. You probably have better follow-through on more deliberate shots, so the trigger can't bounce when you are pressing it through recoil.

I wouldn't call it operator error, I'd call it a race gun that is tuned to just this side of the ragged edge of failure. I bet if the owner (not you!) were to hold the gun loosely and drop the slide on an empty chamber, the hammer would fall to half-cock more often than not.

You can fix it by holding the gun more firmly, by following through on your trigger press, adding pretravel, adding weight to the sear spring or some combination thereof.

Edited by Griz

My gun passes the slide test. My gunsmith showed me.

I've got plenty of pre travel.

I do know that adding more pressure to the center sear spring is a fix but it botheres me because it passes all test. Only happens while I am shooting.

I am having my smith swap my sear and hammer to something else tomorrow.

I was experiencing that exact issue when I first got my 2011 and increased the weight of the recoil spring. Met up with the builder the following weekend and he was able to duplicate it consistently even though I had dropped the recoil spring back down. I am not sure of his explanation but it had something to do with holding/releasing the trigger at a specific time during the slides cycling. Some of the original parts had been changed out prior to me getting the gun. He brought it back to original specs and cut the hammer hooks to the right depth, now there is no follow.

• 3 months later...

I had this issue in a factory Edge after I put about 6,000 rounds through it. My particular issue was the sear/hammer interaction. The nose of the sear had gotten worn. I replaced them with an STI S-7 sear and a Koenig hammer. They fit together perfectly, just dropped them in. This may not always be the case, I may have just gotten lucky on the drop in. However, sear/hammer interaction can be to blame for hammer follow.

This is happening on my new to me Bedell limited gun!

Really frustrating me, because everything checks out just right!

Only happens once or twice every few hundred round during fast splits.

Had this happen to me too last week and the advice I got was to add a little more bend to the left leg of the sear spring. I'll see if that fixed it this Sunday.

• 3 years later...

This is happening on my new to me Bedell limited gun!

Really frustrating me, because everything checks out just right!

Only happens once or twice every few hundred round during fast splits.

My gun passes the slide test. My gunsmith showed me.

I've got plenty of pre travel.

I do know that adding more pressure to the center sear spring is a fix but it botheres me because it passes all test. Only happens while I am shooting.

I am having my smith swap my sear and hammer to something else tomorrow.

A common cause of hammer follow is trigger bounce. Too many people concentrate on minimizing pretravel in the trigger system, not realizing that the ignition system needs a certain amount of pretravel to provide clearance for the trigger moving back due to inertia. The lighter the trigger pull gets, the more important this becomes since the center leg of the sear spring is able to provide less tension against the trigger.

A gun with a borderline amount of pretravel can exhibit hammer follow depending on how it's gripped. The more it moves during recoil, the more likely it will happen.

This.

It happens during fast splits because you probably slap the trigger, releasing the trigger while the slide is open, and then when the slide slams closed, the trigger bounces dropping the hammer to half-cock. You probably have better follow-through on more deliberate shots, so the trigger can't bounce when you are pressing it through recoil.

I wouldn't call it operator error, I'd call it a race gun that is tuned to just this side of the ragged edge of failure. I bet if the owner (not you!) were to hold the gun loosely and drop the slide on an empty chamber, the hammer would fall to half-cock more often than not.

You can fix it by holding the gun more firmly, by following through on your trigger press, adding pretravel, adding weight to the sear spring or some combination thereof.

I know this is an old thread, but this is the first time I have found other with the exact same issue I am having. Finally! I made a post about this elsewhere, but none of the answers helped.

My gun (2011 edge in 40) has done this with the original parts. The whole back end is replaced with the sear/hammer fitted by a smith and it still has the same issue. The only thing that has remained the same in the lower is the grip and magazine release.

It passes all pre travel test and other safety tests. I have bent the sear spring an ungodly amount trying with more tension and it still did not solve the issue. I can re create the issue with an empty by gun by holding the trigger right at the "wall" where the bow touches the disco. The by racking the slide even just a 1/4 stroke the hammer will follow. In live fire it only goes to half cock and when I am shooting faster. My trigger technique is to ride the trigger as it as always been. I know it isn't caused by a loose grip or recoil. I have literally drawn the gun fired one shot and it fall to half cock.

Did you guys ever find a solution???

My wife's gun followed at a match and she got a DQ. I added a little tension on the center leg of the leaf spring. Fixed the problem and the trigger still breaks nice at 2.5#.

DQ for hammer follow or because the gun fired??? Yeah I have tried adjusting the sear spring in many different combinations and tension and it doesn't fix the problem. Wish it were that simple.

Loose grip screws and/or broken grip screw bushings will cause hammer follow as well. More accurately, I think it causes trigger bounce, in turn hammer follow.

My current ones don't give any play in the frame/grip. Just for kicks I did put on a new set of bushings and screws that were a decent amount tighter. It didn't change anything. Thanks for the suggestion though. I'm hoping Sarge will comment here if he ever figured this out.

I posted this on another thread on hammer follow. Use at your own risk, or not.

It's just my 2 cents, but if it were my 2011, I'd have my smith check the relief cut on the sear. There's a little radius under the hammer hooks that prevents a squared off sear from seating on 100% of the sear and hammer hooks contact surfaces. A relief cut lets the sear seat deeper under the hammer hooks. Without the space the relief cut creates, the sear can't fully seat under the hooks when it resets especially under high speed and can allow the hammer to follow.

I posted this on another thread on hammer follow. Use at your own risk, or not.

It's just my 2 cents, but if it were my 2011, I'd have my smith check the relief cut on the sear. There's a little radius under the hammer hooks that prevents a squared off sear from seating on 100% of the sear and hammer hooks contact surfaces. A relief cut lets the sear seat deeper under the hammer hooks. Without the space the relief cut creates, the sear can't fully seat under the hooks when it resets especially under high speed and can allow the hammer to follow.

Yep thats where it is going tomorrow! Thanks