Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me spend some $ on a limited gun

RAZZ

I have been kicking this around for a month or so now, and I can't make up my mind. I'm getting a new 5" gun as a back-up / practice gun to supplement my Dawson custom gun. I'm not sure if I should just pick up a factory Edge, or if I want to spend the extra dough on a custom gun. I'll spend it if necessary. I've read in the past how many recommend getting a custom gun, as you will end up changing out lesser quality factory small parts as they break, probably end up swapping out fire control parts for a better trigger, etc. and I get that. But it just so happens I have a Brazos fitted fire control group sitting in a bag, as well as an Aftec lying around that are not getting used for anything. Would I be giving up much to a custom build with those parts in a factory Edge? I have seen what a competent shooter can do with a factory STI, and I don't think the gun would be holding be back.

What do you think. Should I spend the extra money?

With the parts you have an Edge would be a great choice for the back up gun you want. I have a Trojan with those parts and the gun has gone over 30,000 rounds in short order with no parts breaking or wearing out. I love the Brazos trig kit. Mine is a hair over 2lbs and never follows. I think its a logical choice.

I have found that Limited Guns just run and run but having a spare is a comfort. I wouldn't blow a big wad on a backup. One of the guys I shoot with is putting his Eagle up for sale on the USPSA classified with 3 mags. With the Eagle you could also shoot IDPA and explore the world of the lighter gun vs the heavier Edge.

Of course every time I get a backup gun it turns out it becomes the primary then I go thru the whole cycle again and buy another backup gun.

When I shoot Limited I shoot a Dawson HPF Edge, I sold a very nice Custom SVI ($4500 gun) and I've also shot some other customs but I just like the feel of that big heavy Edge! In an Open gun I'm just the opposite, the lighter the better!

Glad to hear it is treating you good donnyglock.For the OP, I too was thinking of a backup for my Limcat, and am seriously thinking about a tuned edge from Brazos. In the years I have been shooting, I have never found a unhappy Brazos customer.

I went from a barsto (nice edge) to an SV and SV makes guns that flat out run... Someone please grab that SV limited gun in the classifieds. It looks like a great deal and Im not allowed to buy it. :( it's race ready.. Screw a tuned edge! Buy a used SV. They don't dissapoint.

I have a edge with the brazo trigger that works great. If your current gun has not been lightened then a edge will work fine. my problem is that my SVI has a different balance point and Dryfire with my edge backup is different so i never use it just lug it around. I would want my backup to be very similar to my match gun.

Adam

Let me Clarify what I said, I'v tried a lot of Limited guns and I always come back to my Edge. This is due to my preferences and my skill level and shooting style or lack there of. I sold my SVI to a GM, he forgot his gun and borrowed my SVI for the match, he won the match and loved the gun so much he had to have it. They do build good guns as does Bob at Brazos but guns are like women you got to find the one that is right for you, well maybe not like women but you know what I mean.

In some ways they are like cars, thier looks can distract us from what is important, darn sounding like women again.

No offense cocobola, but an SVI custom gun is waaay nicer built with barstock parts than an edge. I would rather have a LDC 5" infinity with 100k it than a brand new edge.

Look at the tool marks on the inside of of the STI slide. Add crappy trigger components, MIM small parts. STI makes a great frame & slide (when the metallurgy is right)

they support the sport, and I appreciate that they sell frames and stuck with the polymer grip. I would take a

anglin, Tripp research, benny hill, JPL, MC, cheely, FGW, JVD, custom build any day over a factory STI. An SV is by far the most solid, well built, tuned guns right out a factory full of master gunsmiths. why else would it cost twice that of an Edge?

No offense cocobola, but an SVI custom gun is waaay nicer built with barstock parts than an edge. I would rather have a LDC 5" infinity with 100k it than a brand new edge.

Look at the tool marks on the inside of of the STI slide. Add crappy trigger components, MIM small parts. STI makes a great frame & slide (when the metallurgy is right)

they support the sport, and I appreciate that they sell frames and stuck with the polymer grip. I would take a

anglin, Tripp research, benny hill, JPL, MC, cheely, FGW, JVD, custom build any day over a factory STI. An SV is by far the most solid, well built, tuned guns right out a factory full of master gunsmiths. why else would it cost twice that of an Edge?

To me reliability is key. It could be ugly as sin as long as it runs.

I remember when I first got my new Mustang GT. I went to Raceway Park in Englishtown NJ and raced a brand new vette with the sticker still in the window. The vette got the jump on me and when he went to 2nd he spun out in front of me and went into the wall. By all accounts he had the better car.

(I have always wondered how that Onstar conversation went after the accident as the GPS read where the car was.)

To me an Edge is like the Mustang. It works good out of the box but a few parts later and it can just just flat out run.

I think that the only similarities of an EDGE vs An SV new or used are the the TRI licensed long dust cover and unique slide. I believe SV gives you an option of both frame, slide, cuts, serrations, and now grip metal, as well as frame cuts, internal lightning and since they don't use plastic grips anymore, and can't charge any higher, you get the steel grip for free. If that's what you want. I personally still love the polymer grip and have too much invested in mags to switch. If I order or buy an SV again, I'll ask them to use my stippled grip, magwell, and After talking to Bart, I may have to send them a shuemann hybrid barrel, as I don't trust anything that isn't proven to last 200k rounds, and SV is Really new to making barrels.

JL

Well, the Black Friday sale at Dawson pushed me over the edge. Throwing in an Ice magwell and a DP F.O. front sight was enough to get me to break out the credit card. I'll let you guys know when I get it, and see how it campares to a custom gun once I toss in my few upgraded parts.

Thanks for the advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the Black Friday sale at Dawson pushed me over the edge. Throwing in an Ice magwell and a DP F.O. front sight was enough to get me to break out the credit card. I'll let you guys know when I get it, and see how it campares to a custom gun once I toss in my few upgraded parts.

Thanks for the advice.

So just a little update...Got the Edge from Dawson in this morning. Poor thing only made it an hour or two before it met the file and dremel. I'm very pleased with the gun, and I'm glad I went this route.

IMG_0001.jpg

818 DVC hit the nail on the head.

Waxman hows the new Limcat?

Too early to say, I only have about 200 rnds through it, WInter sucks here in MN. The only comment I can honestly make, is it is the softest shooting limited gun I have ever shot. Even better then the sightracker. Time will tell. Sorry for the post steal. Dave

I have been shooting Limited Div. now since I trained with Taran Butler back in 'late 05 after I got back from my 2nd tour of active duty; I started shooting USPSA in 2000 in the new production div.; I have been shooting an STI-based Custom gun by Millenium Custom shop in Florida; the Accu-Trac, similar to the sight-tracker by SV; great gun but this past April, I had elbow surgery due to a rock climbing injury I sustained back in '99 and found that I had a hard time controlling the recoil and "muscling" the gun when shooting thru fast, close sections of stages; I tried a friend's ALL-Steel SV Sight Tracker and was amazed at how different it felt and handled; his gun had the CZ style grip kit so it fit my hand almost perfectly and it handled like night & day compared to my STI with the Plastic Grip Kit; I was able to shot it faster & more accurately than the STI, due to the natural balance the All-Steel SV gun had; I re-shot the last stage of this year's Limited Nationals with the SV gun and shot it a full 2 seconds faster, down 2 points total; I had two mikes the first time I shot that stage and it was all I could do to keep the sights on target during the weak-hand portion of the stage, no so with the SV, it transitioned so much faster & cleaner and laid in right on target while shooting weak-hand; that sold me immediately, but I have since shot this SV gun many times and it just performs so much better than anything I have ever shot in Limited Div.; this is because I can shoot my sights, i.e. "let them be by speedometer" and really not have to worry about changing how I grip the gun vs. the STI, which I had to consciously change grip from hard to lighter & back, depending on the speed I was shooting a particular part of a stage at. I will be converting to the SV Sight Tracker for all of my Limited guns over the next year. I would highly recommend this platform to anyone that doesn't mind spending some serious money on an excellent quality competition gun.