Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

rifle supporting device?

My opinion is that monopods/bipods/tripods/whatever should be allowed in all divisions - there, I've said it. My only caveat would be that the device must stay on the gun for the duration of the match. If the benefit of the device offsets its weight then it will be popular, and if not it will disappear. After all, this is how it is in the real world (if the "real world" is the benchmark for such things). Such a rule change would eliminate all the nonsense over whether this or that item is a "supporting device".

Good post!!!!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question related to this topic. In open class do you have to have the bi pod on for the duration of the match or can you take it on and off for different stages. This question applies to all the match rules you guys know about. I know they vary. Thanks

Pat

Quick question related to this topic. In open class do you have to have the bi pod on for the duration of the match or can you take it on and off for different stages. This question applies to all the match rules you guys know about. I know they vary. Thanks

Pat

Actually I can't think of any of the major matches that does not allow you to put on/take off the bipod as you wish, even during a stage.

The larue quick detach bipod mount is your friend.

Pat

Actually I can't think of any of the major matches that does not allow you to put on/take off the bipod as you wish, even during a stage.

The larue quick detach bipod mount is your friend.

Cool thanks. I have a Larue quick detach mount.

OpenNoveske.jpg

Pat,

I know you posted this as your 3 Gun rifle so FWIW you will be much better served to get rid of the BUIS and mount that MiniRDS back by the charging handle if it will fit. The closer those are in your face the field of view is better and you are faster when using it.

Pat,

I know you posted this as your 3 Gun rifle so FWIW you will be much better served to get rid of the BUIS and mount that MiniRDS back by the charging handle if it will fit. The closer those are in your face the field of view is better and you are faster when using it.

Cool thanks for the tip. I will give it a try.

Pat

Is it really just match specific?

Pretty much. You can send a request for a ruling to USPSA which would cover MG Nationals, and the 3 or 4 smaller USPSA matches. The rest of the majors, in theory, are close to IMGA, but really all have their own rules.

Pretty much. You can send a request for a ruling to USPSA which would cover MG Nationals, and the 3 or 4 smaller USPSA matches. The rest of the majors, in theory, are close to IMGA, but really all have their own rules.

USPSA Multi Guns Rules allow you to attach and detach a bipod from the rifle during a match.

USPSA Multi Guns Rules allow you to attach and detach a bipod from the rifle during a match.

Yes, that was answered several posts up, but that was not the question at hand. It was if there is an official ruling on the K9.

How was the K9 handles at Benning? Was it an open class device or not?

I had the opportunity To use my K9 at a local rifle only match last weekend. It worked great on the one stage where I had to shoot through a barrel that was at knee level. I went with a reverse kneeling position and set the handguard on the bottom righthand side of the barrel. The K9 was mounted on the righthand side of my forearm. The K9's spikes intermingled nicely with the edge of barrel. It definately gave me better support than not having it.

I dont know if it actually saved any time but it gave me confidence in the device and my position. I went one for one on some dangling 50 yard clays.

I submit to you all that a "support" helps to hold something up. Think of the supports on a bridge, for instance, or a bipod. In my mind the K9's, et. al., are rifle "stabilizing" devices- just like a shooting sling they help to stabilize the rifle for a more accurate shot. They are just faster and handier than a sling if a barricade happens to be available. In reality the barricade itself might be a rifle supporting device but the K9 alone isn't. Also, just like slings they will be tried in three gun and competitors will decide if they have value or not. I personally think they do.

Edited to add: The MD at Benning ruled they are not a rifle supporting device and allowed them in all divisions.

Edited by whiskey1

I think, as usual, Joe is right, about this type device not being a supporting device.

I have not used anything similar to the K9, so I do not have an opinion on it's benefit, if any.

Edited by Bryan 45

Congrats on your win without a supporting or stabilizing device!!!!! :cheers:

Denise, thank you, but I do use a supporting device. I have two, which happen to attach my biceps to my forearms.

:D

Edited by Bryan 45

Congrats on your win without a supporting or stabilizing device!!!!! :cheers:

Denise, thank you, but I do use a supporting device. I have two, which happen to attach my biceps to my forearms.

:D

Boy, that just throws another kink in the works! :devil::roflol:

Congrats on your win without a non-living supporting device!

• 2 weeks later...

I was patiently waiting for the next batch of the popular and sold out K9's when I found this Hedgehog badboy on Facebook of all places. This thing makes the K9 like like its bitch (female dog reference to K9, get it moderators, I wasn't cussin', LOL!)

Hedgehog-1.jpg

Hedgehog1.jpg

And its got a big brother named the Porcupine. This thing is god for large bore guns liek the .308, .338, .50 BMG. I wouldn't hesitate to put one on a SAW, M60 or even a M2!

Porcupine-1.jpg

Hedgehog1.jpg

PorcupineHedgehog-1.jpg

Edited by ATAS

Egads those things should be called sea urchins. I would be affraid I would hurt myself severely with my own gun if it had one of those on it. I think I will stick with the safe, old fationed way.

Oh, and my Websters defines support as: "A means or device that keeps something erect, stable or secure". Sounds to me like all the devices mentioned so far are supporting devices, unless we want to redefine the word support.