Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caspian Build

trodrig

:devil:

You can get the Tanfoglio 170 mags from EAA, RSR distributors also has them RSR has a better price .

With the tanfoglio mags you just match the top of the mag to match a caspian mag, dont fool with the mag catch slot

except sometimes you need to make it longer dont lower the mag by cutting the catch slot.

Caspian mags are made by the same folks who make Tnfoglio mags.

Jim/Pa

Sailors ;)

So Tanfoglio mags work in caspian frames? can that go vise sersa? I was just looking on the Caspian site and they have 9mm mags for sale and I'm wondering whether or not I should buy one to try out on my stock 2. I'd like to use it in limited division bt the EAA 9mm mags aren't the greatest. I know the mags don't look the same.

;)

Pictures of mags on websites may not be the picture of the mag your wanting.

Eaa 9mm mags can be made to work very well.I dont believe CAspian has 9mm mags at this time.

Im working on takeing two 9mm Eaa/TZ mags and welding them together so we can have a 170 9mm mag

that isnt so hard to get to work.

The 9mm 170 mags Ive mentioned before that work in the large frame TZ type guns arent the same as the

ones I build a few years back. :(

Caspian,TZ& eaa mags can be made to work in 9mm . In 38 super type its a snap.

Jim/Pa

Sailors :D

So, on Henning's site, there's a 38 super 171.25mm mag listed that holds 28 rounds. There's also a "Henning Built Competition 38 super" listed to hold 24 rounds. Is the 24 round mag just a tuned 140mm or is it also a 170mm? Will any of these EAA mags work with the 'Cape' Caspian base pads? The screw on pads they come with seem to be a little cumbersome. Maybe I'm just spoiled from the Dawson 'toolless' being all I've known and the screw on's are really not that big of a deal to screw/unscrew?

So, on Henning's site, there's a 38 super 171.25mm mag listed that holds 28 rounds. There's also a "Henning Built Competition 38 super" listed to hold 24 rounds. Is the 24 round mag just a tuned 140mm or is it also a 170mm? Will any of these EAA mags work with the 'Cape' Caspian base pads? The screw on pads they come with seem to be a little cumbersome. Maybe I'm just spoiled from the Dawson 'toolless' being all I've known and the screw on's are really not that big of a deal to screw/unscrew?

I can not speak for the 38 mags but the Tangfolio 40/10mm mags can use the Cape ( caspian ) bases.

My Caspian mags are all stamped 9mm. IIRC they list 9mm mags on their webpage.

Randy,

If yours are the "old design" 19 round magazines, I'll bet they say 9mm-.38 super. I have 9 of these old magazines and I understand that they are calibre interchangable, no spacer required.

The new "Cape-Design" 21 round magazines are not. You have to order either .38 super or 9mm.

I have one of these magazines in .38 super and I am, um, not impressed. I just continue to use the old design mags and my 2 welded big sticks. The old style 19 rounders are still available from caspian at, I think, around $85.00 a pop. Mine look like hell but work fine. 4 of them are my original magazines from 1993. I bought the other 5 from a forum member before the Nationals that had sat in a safe for 10 years. 2-3 of them are marked Springfield Armory 9mm-.38 super but they are obviously Caspians and also work fine.

Marty

A-7424

Edited by martyg00

My Caspian mags are all stamped 9mm. IIRC they list 9mm mags on their webpage.

Randy,

If yours or the "old design" 19 round magazines, I'll bet they say 9mm-.38 super. I have 9 of these old magazines and I understand that they are calibre interchangable, no spacer required.

The new "Cape-Design" 21 round magazines are not. You have to order either .38 super or 9mm.

I have one of these magazines in .38 super and I am, um, not impressed. I just continue to use the old design mags and my 2 welded big sticks. The old style 19 rounders are still available from caspian at, I think, around $85.00 a pop. Mine look like hell but work fine. 4 of them are my original magazines from 1993. I bought the other 5 from a forum member before the Nationals that had sat in a safe for 10 years. 2-3 of them are marked Springfield Armory 9mm-.38 super but they are obviously Caspians and also work fine.

Marty

A-7424

Marty, what issues are you having with the new 21 round Caspian mags that are making you "unimpressed"?

Edited by trodrig

The SV trigger shoe base works with the Caspian trigger bow.

who's safety is that, and did you mill away the frame make it fit?

Thanks

That is Caspians new ambi safety and it does require the frame to be modified

Rich

Thomas,

As you know my Caspian frame has been highly modified, the original magwell was cut off and a longer one welded on. From the mainspring housing hole to the bottom of the gun is over 1/2 an inch. We have done a lot of grinding on the top of the Cape basepad and I still can not get it to eject to my satisfaction. The rounds in the magazine seem to nosedive a lot. The old style magazines leap out of my magwell. The new style mag feels cheap to me. That being said, I'm sure with a little more work I could make the new design mag work just fine, but I have 9, 19 rounders and 2 welded big sticks so I got tired of messing with it. YMMV. One thing I am impressed with is the ease of taking apart the new magazines. It is really a pain to take the old one's apart.

Regards,

Marty

A-7424

Thomas,

As you know my Caspian frame has been highly modified, the original magwell was cut off and a longer one welded on. From the mainspring housing hole to the bottom of the gun is over 1/2 an inch. We have done a lot of grinding on the top of the Cape basepad and I still can not get it to insert or eject to my satisfaction. The rounds in the magazine seem to nosedive a lot. The old style magazines leap out of my magwell. The new style mag feels cheap to me. That being said, I'm sure with a little more work I could make the new design mag work just fine, but I have 9, 19 rounders and 2 welded big sticks so I got tired of messing with it. YMMV. One thing I am impressed with is the ease of taking apart the new magazines. It is really a pain to take the old one's apart.

Regards,

Marty

A-7424

Most Caspian hicap mags and a lot of Tanfoglio mags will tend to have nose-dives with a standard mag spring.

The tried&true cure from way back is to take 2 pairs of pliers and bend the top coil up about 15* from the MIDDLE of the coil - midway between the front of the mag and the back of the mag. Don't bend up from the back of the spring, it will just settle back.

Some of my mags also said "Springfield 9mm/38" so I always imagined them falling out of Rob Leatham's bag sometime in 1992 and ending up with my gun. Doug Koenig kept shooting some of his Springfield/Caspians a little longer from what I remember.

My 2 cents. The old style thin 39/9 caspian mags have ALWAYS worked well for me. I have 3 9mm Hi caps, 2 limited and 1 open. I found if you just keep them stock ( caspian springs and followers ) they will run right. I have a total of 30 of them, some marked Springfield and the others Caspian. If I measured feed lips on all of them i would come up with a wide range in dimensions, but they all work. They will run in 38 super or 9 with no problems.

The new ones I can not speak for. I will be borrowing one soon to test but really do not see the need because my old ones work so well. (don't fix what aint broke )

I do have a Big stick that was welded up by Matt Mclaren ( from what I am told ) it holds 28+1 and works flawless.

http://www.powerfactorshooting.com/product_p/caspian-mags.htm

Here are some of the older mags all set up.

Thanks for the link! I'll have to contact Sean about some of those!

The barrel and comp arrived this week! I've got all of the major components in and can't wait to get it started!

Edited by trodrig

I was at a match this past weekend and one of Canadian shooters was without a gun. I offered up the Caspian. He made some nasty remark about the old girl. I had to remind him how many time that gun beat him. He quietly walked away.

I was at a match this past weekend and one of Canadian shooters was without a gun. I offered up the Caspian. He made some nasty remark about the old girl. I had to remind him how many time that gun beat him. He quietly walked away.

Witnessed this conversation in person, walked away with a grin on my face knowing just what you were thinking...

The SV trigger shoe base works with the Caspian trigger bow.

who's safety is that, and did you mill away the frame make it fit?

Thanks

That is Caspians new ambi safety and it does require the frame to be modified

Rich

Rich, please tell me its stronger and that youre happy with it.

First Ive seen of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks! I picked up my Caspian high cap frame this week. After checking it out I like how it feels so am planning on building a new open gun on it in 38SC! I'm going to document the process, and ask questions, here. Thanks to Caspian for the support of our sport! I picked up the frame kit certificate from the Steel Challenge prize table! :)

First question is on magwells. Is EGW the only company making add on, wide magwells for Caspian high cap frames? Can anyone tell me if it attaches to the frame with the mainspring housing pin similar to an Ice on a 2011?

Thanks!

To the original poster, I heard through the grapevine that Dawson may be making an ICE magwell for the Caspian widebody in the near future. Although, the EGW magwell works good too.

I have a widebody frame waiting to be built as well. I think I'm going to wait until Spring to see if some new parts may become available over the winter.

Chris

That would be sweet! Can anyone confirm this??

Here is the link for the Dawson ICE magwell for Caspian widebody guns:

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000E5B-1293038130

Chris