Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI trojan or Springfield PX9109lp?

XDman

I've had both apart and have the Trojan, one of my favorite pistols. I've see a lot of good shooters put lots of rounds through Springfield pistols. It's the old Ford vs Chevy thing. Buy what feels best in your hand either will provide good service. Expect to spend a little on either one tuning and setting up for your use.

If it was between a SA TRP and STI Trojan I would say TRP but between the Trojan and SA Loaded I would say STI Trojan hands down and I'm a big fan of SA. Just my $0.02

ETA= I think the Trojan's slide to frame fit is better then the SA Loaded.

Edited by Victor R

I can't compare those two exactly, but a few months ago I picked up a 9mm Trojan for my wife, and after shooting it, I started to get pretty bummed out thinking about how much I spent on a custom single stack .45 a few months prior. The Trojan was well worth the money.

With the Trojan your going to get a little more attention to detail with fit and finish. The Springer is a production line gun where the Trojan is a little more hands on. If it was only between those 2 I would go with the Trojan. Take that from a guy who shoots Springfields!

My only gripe with the trojan is the finish. Less than 1000 rounds and it has noticeable holster wear. I've heard this from other shooters as well. I don't know if the finish is any better on the Springfield.

The Springfield is Stainless unless you get a older milspec or 38 super.

Trojan's are blued, blueing isn't going to last, especially with the amount of draw presentations we do.

My only gripe with the trojan is the finish. Less than 1000 rounds and it has noticeable holster wear. I've heard this from other shooters as well. I don't know if the finish is any better on the Springfield.

I'll second this. My Trojan only has about 3,000 rounds through it now and there's LOTS of bluing missing. I kinda like it, though...character. I've decided that I'm going to send it off for refinishing when I make Master in ESP with it.

Had mine hardcromed, your going to spend a little on either to get it tuned to you. I would look at and handle both. Ask the owners if you can put a few rounds down range. I like the feel of the undercut trigger guard and the balance of the Trojan. Mine broke the ejector and all it took was a phone call to STI and they sent the cure and it was Hardcromed. Great service. Mine has several thousand rounds, had it three years, shoot it every week and have had a lot of fun with it.

I know that you mentioned the PX9109L, but Springfield just release the "Range Officer"

i think this would be a better matchup to the Trojan, and for $750 (street price as seen in GB ads) the RO would be a good buy.

only 500 are being made.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/1911RO/1911RangeOfficer.htm

BannerLandingPage.jpg

Edited by Quack

I know that you mentioned the PX9109L, but Springfield just release the "Range Officer"

AND, I still think it is bad form for Springfield to name a pistol "Range Officer". And then to trademark the phrase. Sure as heck hope they are not going to come after USPSA and make us use a different name for NROI certified "Range Officers."

The answer is, it depends. I talked to a few guys at the Nationals about what caliber to pick and the answer was that it depended on what match it was for. If you intend to shoot the SS nationals a Major caliber is probably best because the courses of fire are based on the SS Division, but for most matches the higher capacity of the 9mm might be the better choice. I know that with the way that IPSC courses are set up in this area a 10 round gun is a no brainer. Sooooo many 9 round speed shoots and strings of fire sometimes including unloaded starts and medium and kong courses with many 8 round strings and unloaded starts means you HAVE to have a 10 round gun.

AND, I still think it is bad form for Springfield to name a pistol "Range Officer". And then to trademark the phrase. Sure as heck hope they are not going to come after USPSA and make us use a different name for NROI certified "Range Officers."

I don't really see how "Range Officer" can be trademarked.