Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rule 5.2.7.2 Limited Division

Gregg K

• 1 month later...

5.2.7 Competitors must not be permitted to commence a course of fire wearing:

5.2.7.2 A holster with the heel of the butt of a handgun below the top of the belt, except as specified in Appendix D, or otherwise indicated in Rule 5.2.8

Appendix D2 - Limited Division

12: Restriction on position of holster and other equipment - NO

I take this to mean 5.2.7.2 does not apply to Limited division. It that correct?

Dave

Position means the location of the holster on the belt, on the side, in front etc, the type means the type of holster, race holster, covered holster etc.

The butt of the gun must be above the top of the belt.

It is misleading; You're not the only one to have asked this question, its cropped up before.

I am sure I will be chastised for not just bumping them to Open Division

Gary, Not sure that is possible.

The rules states that they must not be permitted to start a CoF. I could be wrong but I do not see an exemption for open either? So under what rule would you move him to open? Does this rule not apply to open as well?

Just trying to learn not bust your balls :cheers:

I am sure I will be chastised for not just bumping them to Open Division

Gary, Not sure that is possible.

The rules states that they must not be permitted to start a CoF. I could be wrong but I do not see an exemption for open either? So under what rule would you move him to open? Does this rule not apply to open as well?

Just trying to learn not bust your balls :cheers:

Yeah I got to thinking about that after I posted. Probably a thing one should do before they post:)

You can't bump them to open because the gun/holster/belt configuration would be illegal there also.

Once I observed the violation, I corrected the shooters before they shot their stage. I guess that is about all I could really do, not that I wanted to do something more drastic.

The only other option would have been to just keep quiet, but then the shooters would not be able to learn and correct the problem for future matches.

Gary

Not to drift the thread further, but that sure is pushing the edge. David (Reshoot)...is the front of the trigger guard all the way down and butted against the cut out in the holster?

That is a new holster setup for you, right? If you make it to C-ville on the 1st Saturday (coming up) get with me and I'll help you make sure you are setup right.

Yea or nea, on my rig

As holstered it is legal, BUT as Flex pointed out you are pushing the edge of safety. I would bet that your gun is being held up by the muzzle piece rather than a combination of the trigger guard and the muzzle. If you need to push down on the gun to slide the safety lever into place, then the holster is not set up right.

Not to drift the thread further, but that sure is pushing the edge. David (Reshoot)...is the front of the trigger guard all the way down and butted against the cut out in the holster?

That is a new holster setup for you, right? If you make it to C-ville on the 1st Saturday (coming up) get with me and I'll help you make sure you are setup right.

What I did, when I set the holster up, was to place the barrel stop in a position where I could insert two screws in the stop. I did not give any thought to how deep the trigger guard was into the holster. Until it was mentioned here, I did not realize the mistake! Was simple enought to fix though. Thanks to all of you for pointing it out!

The last thing I want to do, Klye, it drive clean across the state, fork out all that money, shoot in the Ohio Sectional and be sent home without a championship plaque :roflol: You betcha, I want you to check out my rig next month!

Dave

post-23750-041077500 1295473221_thumb.jp

Edited by Reshoot

Slight thread drift:

I only asked about the exposure because with an Tanfoglio Witness Match in a WSM II, I need the same kind of positioning to keep the gun securely in the holster. I could have the gun lower, but it would be bouncing up and down as I ran after shooters. I ended up doing some major surgery (as shown by CHA-LEE in an old thread on the Tanfoglio forum) on the holster so that my Match sits lower, hiding the trigger completely, and securely.

Now back on the main topic about the vertical position of the gun: Is there a minimum amount of the heel of the butt of a gun that needs to be above the top of the belt? 1/4" along the backstrap? 1/8"? 1/16"?