Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Spartan vs RIA Tactical

mgood

Can't have a Spartan so I bought the tactical. It's one of my favorite 1911's I own. Comes with ambi's & novaks. Fit is tight. Some lapping the slide & frame Rails made it nice. Trigger job was a cinch with factory parts. I like the commander hammer better too. I paid $440 NIB. It left me the extra $40 for a front FO sight and a few mag puches n holster. If I had the right, I would buy a Spartan too and work it over.

So you'd spend the extra $200 for the Spartan if you could?

My friend's Taurus was such a piece of junk that I shudder at the thought of a cheaper pistol...but the RIA Tactical looks like it has an excellent bundle of features for the money...and Dawson makes a front sight for it.

Don't get me started on Taurus. The RIA is not like the Taurus at all. The finish is actually nicer on the RIA than the Spartan, and the fit is the same. I have owned/own gold cups, trophy matches, TRP, loaded, & full dustcover operator, Royal match II, several mil spec builds, colt combat commander etc, and I would back the RIA to all of them after a lil TLC. The TRP worked out the Box, as did the kimber, but they cost $1000 more, and I still had to tinker on those to get the feel I was comfortable with.

I bought a Spartan from Aircooledracer6 so I guess that settled that. I'm hoping that my friend will put some miles on it next year. If not, I guess I'll just shoot steel challenge with it and maybe some local matches in single stack (cheap ammo FTW!).

Don't get me started on Taurus. The RIA is not like the Taurus at all. The finish is actually nicer on the RIA than the Spartan, and the fit is the same. I have owned/own gold cups, trophy matches, TRP, loaded, & full dustcover operator, Royal match II, several mil spec builds, colt combat commander etc, and I would back the RIA to all of them after a lil TLC. The TRP worked out the Box, as did the kimber, but they cost $1000 more, and I still had to tinker on those to get the feel I was comfortable with.

Taurus has its apologists, and it's really a shame that they don't put out a decent product, because I'd REALLY like to see some 1911 manufacturer come out with a decent, reliable gun with the front strap checkered for under $1k. And if the quality issues aren't enough, the squared frontstrap on the Taurus makes it feel like a 2x4 in the hand, which really ruins the feel of the 1911.

The only mainstream guns out there with frontstrap checkering are $13-1400 (TRP, Lawman, etc.) besides the Taurus. It seems like the market really has a vacuum in this area. I suppose so long as Springer can sell "Loaded" guns @ $900-1000 a pop with naked frontstraps, they'll continue to get $1400 out of the guy who wants his checkered.

If I had an FFL I'd probably buy a dozen Spartans and send them to EGW or Springer to get checkered, re-park them myself, and sell them for $850 and still make money on every single one. I know I'm not the only one who'd want one.

Edited by twodownzero

The only mainstream guns out there with frontstrap checkering are $13-1400 (TRP, Lawman, etc.) besides the Taurus. It seems like the market really has a vacuum in this area. I suppose so long as Springer can sell "Loaded" guns @ $900-1000 a pop with naked frontstraps, they'll continue to get $1400 out of the guy who wants his checkered.

I don't know if you consider RIA mainstream but their Match pistol has a nicely checkered front strap. I bought the longslide version a few years ago and it was ~$700.

Dave

Edit: I looked after I typed the above and it looks like the checkered front strap is only on the longslide

Edited by Airedale

Hello: If you want the front strap checkered buy a checkering file and have at it. That is what I am going to do with my Spartan 45 :cheers: I have the files but not much time to do it right now. For now it wears skate tape. I wish the Trojan had a checkered front strap instead of the dimples that do nothing much for grip. Thanks, Eric

I can't comment on the STI, but, I do own an RIA tactical............and I gotta tell you, it is probably the most "bang for the buck" that I've ever experienced with a pistol. My Colt Commander is still my CCW, but, when I go to the range I love shooting the Rock. Does it have a Colt's fit and finish, no it does not. Is it a shooter, YES! What impressed me the most wss how good the trigger was for a "cheap" pistol, and , after the first 200 rds. of hardball to break it in, it has handled my LSWC reloads without a hitch. THAT impressed me. I like 'em.

post-28007-034156700 1291400284_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...
. . . I'd REALLY like to see some 1911 manufacturer come out with a decent, reliable gun with the front strap checkered for under $1k. And if the quality issues aren't enough, the squared frontstrap on the Taurus makes it feel like a 2x4 in the hand, which really ruins the feel of the 1911.

Doesn't the Spartan have a squarish front strap? Pictures that can really show this seem few and far between. (Someone help a guy out. Post a pic of the mag well opening in the frame so I can really see the shape of the front strap.) I haven't found one to fondle yet.

Front strap checkering is something else I'd probably want to have added. That sort of pushes me away from the hard chrome on the Dawson Super-Tuned Spartan. If I have it checkered later, I'll have to have at least the frame refinished. So I don't want to spend money on the chrome in the beginning.

Edited by mgood

I also picked up a Rock Island Tactical in 9mm.

Through some VZ grips on, a little finger nail polish on the front sight (may get FO Later), hand lap slide, polished trigger parts and added 5 Wilson 10 rnd mags. I'll add a Mag-well later and I couldn't be happier.

I have converted many non believers with my RI.

Nothing against the STI. I would love to own one. My goal was budget and this thing delivered.

I picked up the RIA tactical 9mm 1911 a few weeks ago. I put a magwell, fiber optic sight, a trigger job, grips and grip tape on it. I shot it in a match last night for the first time and did not have a single hiccup with it. I'm very impressed with this firearms reliability, but the price point makes it just that much more impressive. I can't imagine spending the extra money for a Spartan when this is such a viable option.

Edited by Mitch Harrington

If you are going to just shoot it out the box get the STI. If you are going to send it to a gun smith and have him replace all the parts and really work it over get the RIA. Just my 2 cents your mileage may vary

well said.

I would send in for a full trigger job, I even had it in my original budget, but after a little polish mine was fine. Still may later to get a little crisper break but as for now I love my RI!

I bought a RIA Tactical in January 2008. I started competing with it in March 2008. Since then I would guess that I have shot roughly 40k rounds through the gun. With a 16# recoil spring, the gun has been 100%. I did try lighter springs to try to get it to run for my son, that didn't work out and he got a glock.

I have had zero problems with the gun, and have put a sights, a S&A magwell, and a Ed Brown mag release on it. I regularly beat guys with Wilson Combats, springers, colts, etc. It is the indian, not that arrow, ofter all.

I would get a RIA over a Spartan. There is a review of the Spartan on the m1911 ezine, and he compares it to the RIA, so you might want to check that out.

If you are going to just shoot it out the box get the STI. If you are going to send it to a gun smith and have him replace all the parts and really work it over get the RIA. Just my 2 cents your mileage may vary

I own the Spartan in both .45 ACP and 9mm. Enjoy them both. Bought each on a Friday and shot IDPA matches the next day with them. No break in needed. Just good lube. Got them both from Dawson Precision, which is just down the road from me in Florence, TX.