Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Trigger Guard grip screws

Will_M

I've managed to lose the screws that hold the front of the trigger guard to the frame.

Found the screws, (at shooters connection) But, I've got the Gator classic this weekend. I don't see how they'd be under stress from shooting, but would it be a problem to be putting 2k rounds of Major ammo for practice this week, including what is shot in the match? Or should I have these overnighted?

Edited by Will_M

Yeah, I found some, but I'm just wondering if I need to have these overnighted.

Are the screws under a lot of stress during firing? I'll be putting at least a thousand rounds through the gun this week, plus whatever I shoot at the Gator Classic.

Without the sleeve and screws my frames will move in the grip. A lot of stress? Maybe not but they need to be there or your going to be putting quite a bit of unnecessary wear and tear on the grip and frame in my opinion. I'd try to get them in there if you possibly can but that's just me.

It's definitely the sleeve. It's about 1/16" too long. I'm going to have to rig up some kind of washer in there to put the screws at the proper spacing.

Anybody got any ideas for that?

Edited by Will_M

All three of mine move side to side. I think that's by design. I don't think that's much if any of an issue. It's the up/down of the frame in the grip that they stop. Was the sleeve snug when you slid it in? Thread lock those little buggers and go tear it up!

Wait a minute, .359" long? The sleeve only? I have one of mine out and it's .260" Hum, maybe your is long. Dremel time!

I really don't think it will hurt anything if the sleeve is free to move from side to side. But yea, you can shorten it. I've done it with different things. Make sure you have a good hold on it, it's going to get hot. Use pliers. Use a cut off disk but don't cut it. Grind it off. If you try to cut it the wheel is going to grab and launch it into orbit no matter how you hold it unless you use a vice and then you risk crushing your sleeve. Then take a knife or the like and use the point to clean the end of the threads. Take your time, go slow and you'll be fine.

• 3 months later...

I just discovered that I lost the sleeve and screws from my gun and have replacements on the way. Is it advisable to use threadlocker on these small screws? Is red threadlocker overkill or will blue be enough to do the job? I have both on hand. Thanks!

I just discovered that I lost the sleeve and screws from my gun and have replacements on the way. Is it advisable to use threadlocker on these small screws? Is red threadlocker overkill or will blue be enough to do the job? I have both on hand. Thanks!

If you have it, put a tiny drop of Loctite SMALL SCREW thread locker on one screw and let it set up overnight without the other screw in the sleeve. If you do not have the Loctite use a tiny drop of clear fingernail polish and let it dry overnight. Then put the sleeve/screw combo in the grip and snug down the other screw without using anything on it. It is very easy to round out the tiny socket in the head if you use a threadlocker on both screws. You just have to get used to checking for tightness every once in a while.

Pat

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Reopen of an old thread but a substitute I found was an AR15 trigger pin. Basically cut it off where the groves are and use Each of the outer sides so 2 per AR pin. On mine it fit VERY tight needing a punch to install and remove. The length is perfect if cut in the grove and it's pretty much flush with the grip on both ends. Nice to have in a pinch as they are all over. I put one in shot it some no issue and it's just staying in there now and am not even gonna buy a replacement