Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which would u get, XD or XDM?

XDman

I am looking to get into a Production class gun and was wondering which would you buy and why? XD or XDM? I am looking at a 9mm, and in the XD am looking at the tactical model. Is the XDM that much better with the match grade barrel? I already have an XD Service for ccw, but want a seperate Pgun for comp.

If XD, what mods can I do?

if XDM, what mods?

Thanks!

I am looking to get into a Production class division gun and was wondering which would you buy and why? XD or XDM? I am looking at a 9mm, and in the XD am looking at the tactical model. Is the XDM that much better with the match grade barrel? I already have an XD Service for ccw, but want a seperate Pgun for comp.

If XD, what mods can I do?

if XDM, what mods?

Thanks!

Production DIVISION gun. Either can be good. As far as mods, very little in Production Division, otherwise it wouldn't be production division. New sights, tweak the trigger, grip tape, that's about all you can legally do and stay in production.

I have owned both and currently only have the XDM. The 5" slide on the tactical is great. The XDM "Match grade barrel" is not what I had expected, I think it needs to be refitted, though it sounded very nice I was annoyed with the results. The grip on the XDM feels much better in my had and a bit more aggressive. Honestly feel them both and decide which you like better in your hand. Both sights are fine! You should also be able to get a better price on the XD tactical but that all comes down to what deals you come across.

Sorry if this didn't help much. Again, whichever feels better that's what I would get! Let us know what you decide on!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is silly ok, and not what you were looking for, but I think the 3.8 XDm is a heck of a gun. Fix the trigger and reset and you have a real winner. Sure, everybody plays with the long slide, but the 3.8 draws as fast as any gun out there...

and has a much shorter sight radius and shorter barrel....the draw is only a small portion of the game.

I say go for the M.....I shot a XD9 for a while and wasn't impressed. The standard size match model on the other hand is a little bit more entertaining haha.

When it comes to capacity, the XD is a good choice for production class. However, if you choose to switch to limited later on you will need the increased capacity of the XDM. I use Pistol Gear mag extensions in my limited XDM, giving me 20 rounds per. Just looking down the road . . . .

Dave

Production DIVISION gun. Either can be good. As far as mods, very little in Production Division, otherwise it wouldn't be production division. New sights, tweak the trigger, grip tape, that's about all you can legally do and stay in production.

We all have our cross' to bear.

+1 on Powder River Precision via Wallyworld.

I have used both along with the xdm in both major and minor for limited. For some reason, probably just me, the tactical is the one I have settled with rather than the XDM for production. Like the balance of the gun, the feel and the performance. I took off the stock sights and put warren on the back and HyViz on the front. Had SA custom do the trigger (that was before I knew about the others out there like Canyon Creek) and put on some grip tape. It did well for me on my initial season and part of the next before I got my CZ Custom Shadow. Still use the tactical once in a while and still like using it. The XDM, well put on a magewell, more tape and extended mags and use occasionally for limited minor. In some ways though the XD 5" Tactical is still my favorate gun and the one that I use when I do any training.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I decided on the XD. Having some work done on it, but it came down to using the same frame that I use for a CCW gun. I'll use the tactical for comp, and the service for CCW and the mags will be interchangable, and SA is offering 3 additional mags with the purchase. So in the end I will have 8 mags to use.