Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Nov BOD Meeting

Charles Bond

The next USPSA BOD meeting is the first weekend in November in Dallas, TX. If anyone has any items they would like to have the BOD review or address, now is the time to get in touch with your AD.

If you have ideas appropriate to post here, you do not need my permission to do so. I would however ask that you be extra nice in how it is presented so we can keep the thread open.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meeting notice and agenda is up on USPSA.org under USPSA News and Announcements. Agenda as it stands is listed below.

The agenda will include:

•Multigun Rules

•Steel Challenge

•National Advertising

•Permanent BOD dates

•High hit factors

•Bylaws amendments - contracts and budget submission data

•President salary range

•Online calendar and squadding policy

•Nationals slot distribution policy

Meeting notice and agenda is up on USPSA.org under USPSA News and Announcements. Agenda as it stands is listed below.

The agenda will include:

•Multigun Rules

•Steel Challenge

•National Advertising

•Permanent BOD dates

•High hit factors

•President salary range

If these items are on the agenda - is it possible to publish a little more detail about what the thinking is behind some of them? Meaning - why they are on the agenda and etc.?

What is the procedure for an item to get on the agenda? How far in advance are agenda items accepted, how are they accepted and placed on the agenda (A simple request by one member or does it take more to get an item on).

I know my section by-laws state a time frame in advance of a meeting when the agenda is presented, and I take requests for any item a member wants to add to the agenda.

I fail to see how a sight picture with a gun even a loaded gun is a danger and an accident waiting to happen. Isn't a sight picture typically done at a target or something safely down range? Even if the person does have a total brain fart and shoots one off its going where the gun is pointed. There are tons more things more likely to cause a problem than a sight picture even with a loaded gun

What is the procedure for an item to get on the agenda? How far in advance are agenda items accepted, how are they accepted and placed on the agenda (A simple request by one member or does it take more to get an item on).

I know my section by-laws state a time frame in advance of a meeting when the agenda is presented, and I take requests for any item a member wants to add to the agenda.

vluc,

I would think that even if it is too late to agenda-ize a specific item - it might be a good idea to start the process now of getting ready for your BOD to discuss your item when they meet. It might not be something they vote on - but having your BOD representative understand an issue and start the conversation with the other members of the board will be beneficial.

Sight pictures with a loaded firearm should be prohibited. I believe it to be extremely dangerous and an accident waiting to happen.

I think they should use the same process as IPSC, take sight picture on the first target only with an unloaded gun, then load.

The entire process should take less than 20 seconds, it would also benefit our top shooters when they compete in World Shoot etc as they would be more used to the procedure.

vluc,

I would think that even if it is too late to agenda-ize a specific item - it might be a good idea to start the process now of getting ready for your BOD to discuss your item when they meet. It might not be something they vote on - but having your BOD representative understand an issue and start the conversation with the other members of the board will be beneficial.

Agreed.

And another thing; If during the 'Make Ready' the competitor racks their gun and few times and presses the trigger (as a function check and before loading) then it violates the rule about having one's finger on the trigger during the Make Ready.... match DQ.

I've seen so many shooters in USA do this.

And another thing; If during the 'Make Ready' the competitor racks their gun and few times and presses the trigger (as a function check and before loading) then it violates the rule about having one's finger on the trigger during the Make Ready.... match DQ.

I've seen so many shooters in USA do this.

So you are advocating for no dry-firing during make ready? I'll disagree with that. Safety rules should be about safety, and stopping things that are inherently unsafe. Dryfiring on a target during make ready isn't a safety issue. If you want to advocate a rule to make matches run smoothly and add competitive equity - make it a penalty, not a match DQ.

ETA: Part of making ready should be about doing the things you need to get ready for a stage. I want to see the sights, feel the gun, feel the trigger, load and get on with it, though maybe that's why I'm trying to get back to B class shooting. One sight picture, that's fine - removing dryfiring - ehhh.

Edited by aztecdriver

Don't we have a thread or three to discuss the "sight picture" variations. (In other words...please don't clog this thread up with that debate...it deserves it's own thread)

The agenda will include:

•Multigun Rules

•Steel Challenge

•National Advertising

•Permanent BOD dates

•High hit factors

•President salary range

I can't speak for others, but I feel it would be prudent to tie the President's salary (or any bonus) to announcing the dates and venue for the next year's Nationals by Thanksgiving of the current year.

I'd like to see a definitive statement come out of the meeting regarding distribution of the new rulebook. Will a printed copy be sent to every member? And if not, how each member of the BoD votes on the matter.

I would like to see that as well.

Chuck Anderson wrote:

The agenda will include:

•Multigun Rules

•Steel Challenge

•National Advertising

•Permanent BOD dates

•High hit factors

•President salary range

emphasis on the bold part is mine.

What I would like to see on the USPSA website is a classifier stage records page. You go to click on a particular classifier stage, then it also shows you what the top 5 best hit factors per division that have been shot on that stage. It would also be nice to include the shooter's name, their member number, the date it was shot on, the club's name/location, the raw time, and the points.

Don't we have a thread or three to discuss the "sight picture" variations. (In other words...please don't clog this thread up with that debate...it deserves it's own thread)

The agenda will include:

•Multigun Rules

•Steel Challenge

•National Advertising

•Permanent BOD dates

•High hit factors

•President salary range

I can't speak for others, but I feel it would be prudent to tie the President's salary (or any bonus) to announcing the dates and venue for the next year's Nationals by Thanksgiving of the current year.

As much as it annoys me to have to wait on Nationals dates every year, I would actually be opposed to that one. I don't see a reason why this isn't doable, the problem is announcing a specific date gives venues too much leverage in negotiation regarding range fees. If you don't think clubs would do this, take a look at Bend for the Multigun a few years back. As soon as the dates were announced they tried to dramatically jack the price up, 2-4 times what they were supposed to be getting for a range that USPSA essentially paid to build. What I wouldn't mind seeing is a bonus included in the Presidents Salary package for completing tasks including timely (but not specific) announcenment of the Nationals match dates.

From what I can recall the agenda is published at least 30 days in advance of the BoD Meeting.

To get an item on the agenda, you should submit the item to your AD and they would request the items to be included on the agenda. The submission should contain pertinent information supporting the item.

After the 30 day window an item can still be added to the agenda, this would be done at the BoD and the BoD votes to include additional items.

The HHF item is to review the policy of USPSA not releasing the HHF. This is releated to the existence of the classifier calculators.

The Presidents salary item, is to review setting the Presidents salary to take effect when a new President is elected.

Alan

Alan Meek wrote:

The HHF item is to review the policy of USPSA not releasing the HHF. This is releated to the existence of the classifier calculators.

Hmmn... I don't know what to think about that. I really do want to be a smart @$$ and say, "Did we forget how to do division?"

I'd say for the 90% of the active USPSA'ers out there now they really don't know how the percentages work or how they are derived. All they know is "I shot the classifier in X time with so many Y points and USPSA gave me Z percentage." Then they shrug their shoulders.

And in case you think my 90% figure up above is too large and are about to suggest that I do a poll or survey here ...well...that would be skewing the results. Not all USPSA'ers are BE'ers, but I reckon a really large percentage of BE'ers are USPSA'ers. And in general people who want to improve their shooting, period.

Hence, my suggestion for a records page.

For example, I am looking at Todd Jarret's classifier page right now (L2458). He shot CM 99-04, Pucker Factor, on September 5th, 2010. He got a 100% on it. He shot it at the Fredericksburg Rod and Gun club. By the looks of it though, they don't post results to their website. So I can't see what kind of points Todd got and what his time was.

It would give me and others something to strive for..."Oh, hey, isn't that CM _____ ? Bob Vogel shot that in ___ seconds with ____ points...I think I can shoot it in _____ time."

The agenda will include:

•Multigun Rules

•Steel Challenge

•National Advertising

•Permanent BOD dates

•High hit factors

•President salary range

As much as it annoys me to have to wait on Nationals dates every year, I would actually be opposed to that one. I don't see a reason why this isn't doable, the problem is announcing a specific date gives venues too much leverage in negotiation regarding range fees. If you don't think clubs would do this, take a look at Bend for the Multigun a few years back. As soon as the dates were announced they tried to dramatically jack the price up, 2-4 times what they were supposed to be getting for a range that USPSA essentially paid to build. What I wouldn't mind seeing is a bonus included in the Presidents Salary package for completing tasks including timely (but not specific) announcenment of the Nationals match dates.

If a range would treat USPSA that way, they don't deserve our money anyway. I guess the trick is to have the contract written before the dates are announced. It still seems like it should be do-able. Maybe not this year, but make it a requirement that the contract for 2012 nationals be signed before the end of the 2011 match.