Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

marking brass

JxMAN25

hey guys, i have reciently started reloading my ammo. befor i did this i was using the silver steel steel brassed ammo. but now i care about picking up my ammo. So the people at the range are brass greedy and its hard to tell whos brass is whos. is it ok if i mark a line with a sharpy over the top of my brass and ontop of the primer? thanks guys.

I use a red Sharpie in the extractor groove. Give them one spin on a V-block and they're done. I can identify my brass as it is laying on the ground and pick it up. They're called "Pat's red butt brass." :roflol:I've found some of my brass months later.:cheers:

Pat

Edited by whatmeworry

I use a Sharpie on all my brass across the back of the brass/primer. I also polish the heck out of it so that if I see a super shiny piece in the brass pile after a match it's either mine or fresh factory from someone who doesn't reload...either way I win :devil:

:cheers:

Curtis

Edited: 'cause I hate tipos typos!

Edited by BayouSlide

I use a red Sharpie in the extractor groove. Give them one spin on a V-block and they're done. I can identify my brass as it is laying on the ground and pick it up. They're called "Pat's red butt brass":roflol:. I've found some of my brass months later.:cheers:

Pat

I do this, same color in the extractor groove. They really stand out

Somebody once made a little jig that would hold one or two markers against a case turned in a V block. You could apply two contrasting color bands in one twirl.

Color on the primer is good for ammo testing on chrono or target; identified when you load the gun, "erased" when you decap.

I use a red Sharpie in the extractor groove. Give them one spin on a V-block and they're done. I can identify my brass as it is laying on the ground and pick it up. They're called "Pat's red butt brass":roflol:. I've found some of my brass months later.:cheers:

Pat

im sorry but im not sure what you mean by the extractor groove

my buddy down in san jose??? cali. made those sharpie jigs, he also was the one who was selling the hoser-cam's(1rst person video incorporated in a earmuff)

the extractor groove is the spacewherethe extractor 'hooks' the case and pulls it out of the chamber, basically its the indention(for lack of a better term) just above the rim of the case

I use a sharpen on all my brass across the back of the brass/primer. I also polish the heck out of it so that if I see a super shiny piece in the brass pile after a match it's either mine or fresh factory from someone who doesn't reload...either way I win :devil:

:cheers:

Curtis

Hey! Those are mine! :roflol:

did you just drill a hole in the peice of wood for the peice of brass?

Yep, drilled a hole in the wood, then cut a plastic cup off of a bullet tray from some store bought ammo (got from the garbage can at the range), hot glued the plastic cup into the hole in the wood. The plastic cup makes the bullet spin MUCH easier when marking it. JHP's have a tendency to grab on the wood when spinning, and the plastic cup prevents that. The conduit strap is from HD or Lowes, I actually had them for work, so I didn't even buy that, but if bought, I think they are like .95cent for a bag of 5. The marker I had laying around, it had a chisel tip, but I took a razor blade and cut it flat.

My brass is VERY easily seen and identified. You can see it from 20' away, in a pile of other brass, even if all are shiny. No one ever picks up a piece of my brass and thinks it's theirs.....

Somebody once made a little jig that would hold one or two markers against a case turned in a V block. You could apply two contrasting color bands in one twirl.

I remember seeing this. Anyone know if this is still available and where to get it?

23itpox.jpg

i used the black sharpie, but since i noticed old peoples using black( lol),i now use red.

i've been in a situation where most of the shooters present on the firing line atm were using the same color marking ,all shooting 9mm lolol....

Nice primer

Edited by blue edge

Nice primer

lol....VV310.

You guys got way too much time on your hands. I just run a purple sharpie across the case bottoms after I box them up. One swipe across the box marks 10 at a time. No way I have time to do each case separately. I agree though, with your method I wouldn't even have to bend down to see which brass is mine on the ground.

Nice primer

lol....VV310.

You guys got way too much time on your hands. I just run a purple sharpie across the case bottoms after I box them up. One swipe across the box marks 10 at a time. No way I have time to do each case separately. I agree though, with your method I wouldn't even have to bend down to see which brass is mine on the ground.

I do it more for ease of finding, rather than making sure I get mine back. At my local range, I'm the only one shooting 38S, but put 50-60 38S cases on the ground with 300-400 40, 9mm, 45, it gets a bit hard to find. I tried the matking across the head stamp, that only works if all brass is picked up. Since most of my shooting is done at an indoor range, most of the brass IS NOT picked up. Looking for a stripe across a head stamp can be problematic, depending on which way the brass is laying. Second, just marking the extractor groove is the same deal, very small and hard to see. Like I said, you can see mine from 20' away.

• 2 weeks later...