Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's your lube of choice for your AR?

Mbauer67

Mobile 1 5w for the bolt carrier.

Any quality engine assembly lube for the buffer & spring - currently using Lucas Oil Semi-Synthetic engine assembly lube b/c it has some seriously "sticky" characteristics which makes it cling and stay in place and it loves to cling to spring coils. Never have I had such a crisp sounding bolt release and lock-up in an AR.

Found a good combo!

Cheers,

Kyle

Red Neck Tactical Recommended Slick 50 but since that went out with the Smokey and the Bandit Trans Am I now use their second recommendation, Mobile 1 synthetic. I have never felt an AR or Glock feel as smooth when racking the slide/bolt. Plus a qt is cheap and last forever so I can bathe my guns in it

Edited by jtischauser

maybe i ought to look into the engine oil idea myself...

Are you guys just bathing everything in the motor oil or only certain parts?

It should be used just like any other liquid lube on an AR. Contact points on the carrier, the bolt and cam pin, etc.

50/50 mix of 10W30 synthetic engine oil and Dex3 ATF.

Based on my completely unscientific analysis, the dispersants in the ATF make cleaning a little easier. I keep it in an old contact lens solution bottle for easy application.

Rust-prone parts still get a coating of CLP.

So nobody is using Slide-Glide?

The question is: Should I use grease at all?

The answer: No. A little here and there could be ok, but just oil is all that is necessary.

First choice for lube is Mobil 1 oil, which all my guns get, except the M1 rifles (which get grease). Breakfree or another CLP is good at matches because the single product cleans and lubes, but it ain't great at either.

ETA: I bought a quart years ago, and have dumped more on the bench than I have used.

Lee

Edited by lmccrock