Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Trojan or Sentry?

Marv Z

I'm looking for a new IDPA gun and am wondering what that difference between the Trojan and Sentry are. The Sentry appears to have a magwell and better trigger components. Any thing else I need to know about? What's the best gun for IDPA, cost aside? Thanks!!!

If it matters to you, the Trojan uses an investment cast 4140 steel frame, whereas the Sentry uses a forged 4140 steel frame. The forged frame is said (by some) to last longer, and stay tighter longer than a cast frame. Other than that, the internals are probably very similar, if not identical. Sentry has an ambi-safety and the Trojan has a single-sided as well.

Whats the Sentry front strap like ? Checkered ? That would be enough to sway my vote. For a game gun, I like a cheese grater on my front strap. :goof:

Sentry has a checkered frontstrap, Trojan has the STIppling--not quite as aggressive, but still decent.

The Sentry also doesn't have an undercut trigger guard the way the Trojan does. I can't figure out why that is, but it makes a big difference in how the gun feels to me. The fire control parts are all the same, with the possible exception of a Ti hammer strut in the Sentry. I've just never seen the $400 difference in parts between the two. I think some of the price difference has to be from the time to polish the Sentry's slide. R,

I own the Sentry in 9mm. I bought it primarily for IDPA as I like the 1911 platform but didn't want to spend the money on the .45 ammo any longer. If I were to do it all over again, I would have bought the Trojan instead and gotten it from a custom shop. While I have no issues with the Sentry, I believe the Trojan is the better bang for ur buck. The only real difference that I have seen between the 2 are the checkering on the front strap, the RecoilMaster guide rod, the mag well, the ambidextrous safety, and the polished steel accent parts (beavertail grip safety, and the safety). I've replaced the magwell with a Dawson Precision Ice magwell, and added a full length guide rod with a 9# spring, so looking back 2 of the things that I wanted in the Sentry, I changed. That is why I would recommend the Trojan.

good luck with your search, hope this helps.

Mike

After talking to Brazos today, I ordered a Trojan in 9mm. It will have the steel mainspring housing with a magwell and ambi safety. There also going to do a trigger job and a fiber optic sight. Even with the upgrades, it's still $200 less than a stock Sentry. Should have it in about three weeks. Thanks to everyone for there input and help!!!

After talking to Brazos today, I ordered a Trojan in 9mm. It will have the steel mainspring housing with a magwell and ambi safety. There also going to do a trigger job and a fiber optic sight. Even with the upgrades, it's still $200 less than a stock Sentry. Should have it in about three weeks. Thanks to everyone for there input and help!!!

I recently bought a 9mm Trojan from Brazo's with ambi safety and FO front site. They shipped fast and the gun is very sweet!

I'm looking for a new IDPA gun and am wondering what that difference between the Trojan and Sentry are. The Sentry appears to have a magwell and better trigger components. Any thing else I need to know about? What's the best gun for IDPA, cost aside? Thanks!!!

Take a look at the CZ 75. Its a great shooting gun. The quality of the parts made in Europe are much better then most of the American manufacturers.

Take a look at the CZ 75. Its a great shooting gun. The quality of the parts made in Europe are much better then most of the American manufacturers.

I went that route with a pair of tanfoglio's I didn't like waiting weeks for the most common parts and accessories. I won't make that mistake agin.

I have one of the Sentinel models in 45ACP (what is now the Sentry). Has a light crisp trigger right out of the box. I am a checkering kind of guy and love the Sentinel. Shot a buddies Trojan once and it is a nice gun but for games I think the checkering is the way to go. Stippling didn't give the bite that helps with a good hold. My 2 cents.

If it matters to you, the Trojan uses an investment cast 4140 steel frame, whereas the Sentry uses a forged 4140 steel frame. The forged frame is said (by some) to last longer, and stay tighter longer than a cast frame. Other than that, the internals are probably very similar, if not identical. Sentry has an ambi-safety and the Trojan has a single-sided as well.

RAZZ:

The Spartan is the model with the cast frame (Phillipines). The Trojan and the Sentry are almost the same - same internals.

http://www.stiguns.com/guns/Sentry/Sentry.php

http://www.stiguns.com/guns/Trojan5.0/Trojan50.php

• 1 year later...

RAZZ:

The Spartan is the model with the cast frame (Phillipines). The Trojan and the Sentry are almost the same - same internals.

http://www.stiguns.com/guns/Sentry/Sentry.php

http://www.stiguns.com/guns/Trojan5.0/Trojan50.php

Nope. RAZZ is correct. Trojan (and, as you point out, Spartan) frames are cast and the Sentry (as well as the USPSA Single Stack, one of which I acquired last summer) frames are forged.

I wish STI (and plenty of others) would recognize that 20LPI front-strap checkering would be vastly better than the kiddie-30LPI or the chain-link stuff.

I am a fan of the chain link but then again I am kind of manly so holding onto my firearm is not a problem for me like it is for some of you ;-)

Like Paul, I like the chainlink frontstrap. It allows me good purchase on the grip and doesn't rip my hand apart.

I do agree with you mike on the 20lpi vs the 30lpi. I prefer 20.

I guess you haven't anything better to do since you aren't shooting IDPA anymore.

Totally uncalled for comment but not a surprise considering the source.

And since you brought it it up, nor are many shooters in Alberta; and getting fewer. It seems Bob's (and by extension you, as one of his lap dogs) legacy will be the killing of the largest and most active IDPA club in Canada.

I guess you haven't anything better to do since you aren't shooting IDPA anymore.

Totally uncalled for comment but not a surprise considering the source.

And since you brought it it up, nor are many shooters in Alberta; and getting fewer. It seems Bob's (and by extension you, as one of his lap dogs) legacy will be the killing of the largest and most active IDPA club in Canada.

Not anyone's lapdog. Plus I don't try to impress anyone with "MY GOOD FRIEND" like you do.

I'm not the one who tried to send a membership renewal check AFTER being lifetime banned from IDPA, from a different address (Florida instead of Alberta)..

This goes to show your true character or lack of it.

Edited by RePete