Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Decot Shooting Glasses

I am contemplating ordering a set of those big old school trap shooting glasses because my metro sexual designer frames just aren't cutting it for shooting long range rifle. I have seen Kurt, Jerry, Trapr and a bunch of the other guys wearing them. It seems that everybody that has a pair swears by them.

Before I order I was wondering if any of you guys have them with a -5.0 prescription or so. I was going to get the new Revel frames but my -5 prescription won't work well with those I was told by Decot. I am concerned that those glasses are large as it is and the heavy thick lens will be too heavy (and look like coke bottle lenses).

Let me know what you think.

Here is their website for those of you that aren't familiar with them. Decot Glasses

Jesse,

I don't know how thick the lens will be with your prescription, but, I would rather have the flatter lens of the Decot system. Decot glasses are the best setup I've used. If they fog up on you, you would never be able to see through the other glasses.

Decot is a great company to work with too. The last lenses I ordered, I spec'd the high dollar lens material. The called me, and suggested not getting it. Told me they'd scratch easier and cost me considerably more.

Jesse,

I don't know how thick the lens will be with your prescription, but, I would rather have the flatter lens of the Decot system. Decot glasses are the best setup I've used. If they fog up on you, you would never be able to see through the other glasses.

Decot is a great company to work with too. The last lenses I ordered, I spec'd the high dollar lens material. The called me, and suggested not getting it. Told me they'd scratch easier and cost me considerably more.

Go for the Decot's Jesse you will like them.

The one's I have been using for years are very close in design to the Decot, but are made in Idaho by Post4 Optics.

Do it.

Patrick

Jesse,

Go for the Decot's Jesse you will like them.

The one's I have been using for years are very close in design to the Decot, but are made in Idaho by Post4 Optics.

Do it.

Patrick

How heavy is your script? I am really worried about weight. The glasses I wear now use those ultra micro thin lenses that make then small and light weight.

I really want these to work out because just having them I may not shoot like Trapr, Kurt, Jerry , and Pat but I will at least look like them. I guess I gotta trim my goatee down to a mustache too ;) ?

Edited by jtischauser

Ultra thin micro lenses? Eye care has come a long way in recent years, but, they can't fix an eye that has a chunk of brass or steel through it.

A guy I used to shoot trap with has a job you never want to see him professionally for, he does prostetic eyes.

Do yourself a favor, get lighter ear muffs if weight is an issue, but get good eye protection.

The different between one Rx and another Rx when cut from PolyCarb or some other synthetic lens material will be nominal.

Glass....sure a difference can be felt.

The frames are built to hold the weight comfortably on your face.

I am at work so I can't weigh them for you but a call or email to either outfit (Decot or Post4) will net you a quick answer.

Mister you are a fine looking fellow right now, emulate our performance? Please do!....but...look like us???? Maybe you need a better Rx for those peeps of yours!

Patrick

Jesse,

I use the glasses. I "only" have a 2.5/3.5 script but I also have prism which makes the lenses more substantial. I can weigh the stuff when I get home tonight and let you know the numbers. I have used them for whole-day matches with no issues. Let me know if you are interested.

Later,

Chuck

Call decot, I have a + 3.25, they are big and they are heavy,I beleive I have the classics, They are really nice but after a 4 or 5 hour match I need to get them off. Call them and ask, nice people to work with.

I talked to them in detail and they kind of scared me off actually which is why I have posted here. I know you guys go over your gear with a fine tooth comb so I figured somebody has done a comparison.

I didn't think to ask Decot how much a pair of theirs woudl weigh. I will do that now.

Thanks for all the input thus far.

I've got 3 lens, clear, target orange, and bronze. the clears get worn more than any other, with target orange being second.

as for wanting them off after a day of shooting, Yes, but then everything i wear after a day of shooting feels better off. :ph34r:

trapr

I've got 3 lens, clear, target orange, and bronze. the clears get worn more than any other, with target orange being second.

as for wanting them off after a day of shooting, Yes, but then everything i wear after a day of shooting feels better off. :ph34r:

trapr

Man I wish my brain wouldn't have processed that last sentcence into a visual. I just puked in my mouth. Lol!

If you do decide to get them, would be very interested to know how they work out. I have even worse uncorrected eyesight (straight -6 in both eyes) - although its not a major issue for me as I wear contacts. However....sometimes the glasses option would be a nice thing to have.

I have actually been considering an rx insert for the ESS glasses I already use: http://www.esseyepro.com/ICE-2.4-NARO-Eyeshield_136_detail.html - but have the same concerns re weight/"bottle bottom" effect etc due to my strong prescription.

Edited by DanielW

If you do decide to get them, would be very interested to know how they work out. I have even worse uncorrected eyesight (straight -6 in both eyes) - although its not a major issue for me as I wear contacts. However....sometimes the glasses option would be a nice thing to have.

I have actually been considering an rx insert for the ESS glasses I already use: http://www.esseyepro.com/ICE-2.4-NARO-Eyeshield_136_detail.html - but have the same concerns re weight/"bottle bottom" effect etc due to my strong prescription.

I'm about 80% sure that I am going to order a pair next week after I get my new vison exam. So I will let you know. I haven't heard a lot of good things about those insert type deals in the Rudy's or other frames. It seems like it would be two sets of frames to look around/past. Especially when shooting the long guns where you are looking out the top inside of the lens which is my biggest problem with smaller glasses.

I have a friend that has prescription Rudy's in a much lighter RX than mine and he too is looking for a larger/higher option in RX glasses for shooting the long guns.

Glad to see this string Jesse as I share many of your concerns. I have a strong script and wear small frames, partly due to the fact that they're fashionable but also, the smaller the lense, the less width I have on the edges which remains an issue despite them being a poly-carbon. Now that I am shooting rifle and shotgun (or trying to!) I find that I often look over the top of them. VERY frustrating! I've got plenty going on without having to deal with that.

Hoping contacts will suffice occasionally but want Rx glasses also. Maybe next trip to Phoenix I could stop by and "see" what this would all mean to me. Could care less about looking like any of you fine looking lads and can only hope to shoot half as good but to start, I've gotta eliminate such distractions. (challenge with glasses, NOT you guys!) :P

I look forward to hearing more Jesse; please keep us posted and good luck.

Sherry

• 1 month later...

Back before astigmatism soft contact lenses were available, I had Bud Decot make lenses for me with only the astigmatism correction. In combination with my contacts they worked very well. Now I can just use the plano lenses. I still have the orininal frames I got from Bud. The gold plating has worn off and they turn my temples green if I wear them but they're 25 years old!

Back before astigmatism soft contact lenses were available, I had Bud Decot make lenses for me with only the astigmatism correction. In combination with my contacts they worked very well. Now I can just use the plano lenses. I still have the orininal frames I got from Bud. The gold plating has worn off and they turn my temples green if I wear them but they're 25 years old!

I just got some contacts that corrected for my astigmatism. I can see the long range targets clearer than ever before. The new contacts don't give me a headache after 3-4 hours either. So I never ordered the Decot glasses I ordered a much more fashionable pair of Rudy Project Glasses. I laid down my first 2" group at 300 yards with the new contacts, Rudy's, 6X Swarovski, and a bipod. I am really excited to try the combination on the long range targets at Ft. Benning next weekend.

Edited by jtischauser

I just got some contacts that corrected for my astigmatism. I can see the long range targets clearer than ever before. The new contacts don't give me a headache after 3-4 hours either. So I never ordered the Decot glasses I ordered a much more fashionable pair of Rudy Project Glasses. I laid down my first 2" group at 300 yards with the new contacts, Rudy's, 6X Swarovski, and a bipod. I am really excited to try the combination on the long range targets at Ft. Benning next weekend.

I am glad your heterosexual side prevailed. lol, you metrosexual side can stay in the closet. :devil: congrats on your 2" group at 300yds, I was never a big fan of the decot glasses, from a fashion or just practical sense. The rudy's have more wrap around eye coverage. Combine that with the impact lenses, makes for more eye protection, and if eye protection wasn't an issue, I would just wear regular sun glasses, but since we have fragments of bullets comming back at us. I want to feel like I have the best eye protection out there at whatever the cost, and the Rudy glasses with the impact lenses, provides that security. I know this pargraph sounds biased. but hell, if I were not apart of Rudy, I would still be wearing them, because I believe in them...

I am with Sean on this one. I started wearing precription Rudys before I became a team member. I still have a pair of Decots that I spent alot on money on that sit on the shelf collecting dust. An incident occured while working as an SO and a shell casing hit me in the corner of the eye while wearing the Decot. There is just too much space. After that I no longer felt they were safe to wear. I immediately switched to Rudys and haven't regretted it one bit.

The point of this thread was not to compare Rudy's to Decots. It was to find a prescription lens that could actually be put in a pair of shooting glasses. Nobody but Decote makes a frame that a -5.25 will fit in. Rudys definately wouldn't work with all that curvature to the lenses.

Edited by jtischauser

The point of this thread was not to compare Rudy's to Decots. It was to find a prescription lens that could actually be put in a pair of shooting glasses. Nobody but Decote makes a frame that a -5.25 will fit in. Rudys definately wouldn't work with all that curvature to the lenses.

Jesse you are the one that brought up that you bought the more fashionable rudy's, and you shot one of the best groups you ever shot, I am not saying it was because of the rudy glasses, I am saying they are more fashionable,and I agree. I just happen to bring up the fact of the impact resistance is something else that is great. I am agreeing with you. as far as comparison, there is no comparison, they are two different animals.

IMHO, glasses are like guns/tools, you pick the one for that specific job. thats why there are so many variety of glasses out there. I am not trying to sell you on the glasses, you already own them. Just merely stating my opinion.

Now that is funny because I went with the DeCots for the same reason, they're made to be shooting glasses not fashion!! the best move I made a few years back was dropping the Rudy's, in favor of the Decot's. as for impact resistance the Rudys and Oakleys i had before did an admirable job but, the day an M60 cooked off in my face with the cover open I was very glad to be wearing the Big lenses.

Trapr