Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shock buffs-yes or no

BigGabe

Thought about installing a some shock buffs on my 1911's. Are they really needed or are they more trouble then they are worth. Right now the guns are running pretty well at 100% with out any installed. Just wondering. Gabe

Yes

Always used them. Always check them to see if they extend beyond the edges of the back of the guide rod. I just take an exacto to them if they do. You do not want them rubbing the slide at all. (learned that the hard way).

If your goal is to change the recoil feel of the gun, go ahead. It will fail at the worst time.

I do use them to change the felt recoil of the gun...and I've never had one fail or cause the gun to fail...but then I inspect it everytime I clean the gun which is every time I shoot the gun. FWIW, I use CP buffs.

If your goal is to change the recoil feel of the gun, go ahead. It will fail at the worst time.

I do use them to change the felt recoil of the gun...and I've never had one fail or cause the gun to fail...but then I inspect it everytime I clean the gun which is every time I shoot the gun. FWIW, I use CP buffs.

Steve did you just read my mind? Couldn't say it any better myself. :rolleyes:

I put a brand new CP shok buff and a ISMI recoil spring in my gun right before the Michigan match last weekend, and the gun ran absolutely superb! Never better!

Thought about installing a some shock buffs on my 1911's. Are they really needed or are they more trouble then they are worth. Right now the guns are running pretty well at 100% with out any installed. Just wondering. Gabe

If your gun is running at 100%, then you should without a doubt, use a Shock-Buff. Most of these so-called-experts that are saying "NO" built custom 1911's for a living and know nothing about the subject.

I vote "NO", BTW. However, I am a land surveyor and I own a few 1911's. :roflol:

No shock buffs reduce the cycle length of the gun by the thickness of the buff, thus changing the cycle time of the gun and continues to change as the shock buffs compresses (wears).

I don’t utilize them for this reason I use the correct spring for a given load.

Out.

2011BLDR

No shock buffs reduce the cycle length of the gun by the thickness of the buff, thus changing the cycle time of the gun and continues to change as the shock buffs compresses (wears).

Just how far do you think the shok buff is going to compress? 1/8"? 1/4"? How long do you think it takes for it to compress that far? :blink: