Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Meopta K-dot release?

jimmcc

The most recent post I found on the Meopta K-dot with the new reticle (chevrons) stated it would be available in January. Has anyone heard differently and should I wait around for it or just buy the current one? Thanks.

The new one is shorter, lighter, and has a better reticle...however, it seems to be milled out of a piece of unobtanium by elves :)

I was really impressed by the one I handled at SHOT...last January...

IMO: Learn to shoot iron's now and wait, or buy a Z6i :)

Alex

I don't know why there has been a delay in the new Meopta's release. I do not see the differences as enough to dissuade me from buying the current meopta. Either one will be an excellent scope.

However the new scope is really not that revolutionary. There are only two differences from the existing scope.

1) Instead of having the extended tube in front of the objective lens which was originally designed into the scope to protect it from brush/dirt/debris that it would have seen as a heavy brush scope. Yes it saved one or two ounces of weight but you now have a higher risk of crap getting on the objective and/or getting it scratched from greater exposure.

2) The reticle is the same reticle and covers the same subtensions as the old reticle. The three chevrons are not set up to be a BDC rather just fixed points at regular intervals on the same line that they replaced.

The glass quality, durability, and repeatability coupled with Meopta's unmatched daytime visible illumination will all be unchanged.

2) The reticle is the same reticle and covers the same subtensions as the old reticle. The three chevrons are not set up to be a BDC rather just fixed points at regular intervals on the same line that

hmm - when i saw it at shot, i recall the the sales guy explaining that the three chevron's were set up as BDC indicators for 300, 400, & 500 yards (or maybe meters?). He also said that they were going to be out "late Q1"... so maybe I should be taking the whole conversation with a grain of salt. at least he didn't say "i love you" or "the check is in the mail" :roflol:

• 2 weeks later...

You just gotta know who to talk to. I have a prototype for testing shipping to me as I type.

It pays to be ATAS!!! :ph34r::devil::cheers:

when it shows up, can you post something and advise whether the chevron's are in fact BDC for some specific 223 round? I'd thought that the three chevron's were supposed to range for 300, 400, & 500 but have heard conflicting info.

• 3 months later...

Meopta is on my list of booths to visit today...of course, LAST year they said it would be out by fall.

Now that reflect on the parsing of that sentence, I realize that they never said WHICH year :)

Alex

We need someone at Shot to track these folks down and see what's going on with these things.

Just returned from SHOT. Some notes on the updated Meopta K-Dot from examining it and speaking with a sales guy:

* same glass

* shortened front shade

* same kind of capped turrets

* new erector

* dials have new design, rather than the small rectangular protrusion it's a triangular thing that is a little easier to turn

* knobs are not resettable and no zero stop

* new reticle, similar to previous except instead of vertical post underneath there are three upside down V's that get progressively smaller. Fella didn't know subtensions but said designed to zero 2MOA center dot at 200 with chevrons for 300, 400, 500. BDC based on 55gr @2950 (note he wasn't too confident of this info)

* new illumination, darker on low end and (even!) brighter on the high end than previous version. Those who have the current K-Dot version know that the low end of illumination is way too bright for nighttime use, so this is welcome. The Meopta was already super bright, so even more is great but not really necessary IMO. It didn't seem that much brighter to me but I could not properly assess this in the convention center, and without the old one to compare.

* sales guy was unsure of battery life, but said he thought it was 300+ hours. This is significantly more than Meopta's specs for the last one, so take this with a grain of salt.

* supposed to hit stores in a couple months

Edited by esskay

We need someone at Shot to track these folks down and see what's going on with these things.

and if you order now, elvis will personally deliver your scope when it's available...

and if you order now, elvis will personally deliver your scope when it's available...

Missy Meopta has spent so much time in the bathroom getting ready = I went to sleep

Or China production cost were too high so they went to Somalia for manufacture

Edited by AlamoShooter

Yes, Jamie we know you've sipped the Vortex coolaid, and are hooked!!!

Trijicon and Meopta are still the longest running, most moderately priced, daylight illuminated, usable 3 gun optics out there. They are the benchmark, I was told at SHOT that a very high end optic maker was banging a very expensive scope on the table in frustration to "our" demand for daylight illumination, SMKSHWN can elaborate on this when he returns from SHOT, that said...........You optics guys are going to be overwhelmed with the amount of good usable, moderately priced optics that are going to be out there NOW!!!! I've seen them and held them in my hands, and was even asked to sit in on a few meetings about them with company reps!!!!! moderately priced 1FP and 2FP scopes, save your pennies. the best 3 gun reticle that I saw was from Trijicon in an ACOG but it was very very nice, simple and very user friendly, i'll be getting one soon.

trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

Missy Meopta has spent so much time in the bathroom getting ready = I went to sleep

Or China production cost were too high so they went to Somalia for manufacture

:yawn: Did somebody say somethin.....I must have dozed off too.

Yes, Jamie we know you've sipped the Vortex coolaid, and are hooked!!!

Trijicon and Meopta are still the longest running, most moderately priced, daylight illuminated, usable 3 gun optics out there. They are the benchmark, I was told at SHOT that a very high end optic maker was banging a very expensive scope on the table in frustration to "our" demand for daylight illumination, SMKSHWN can elaborate on this when he returns from SHOT, that said...........You optics guys are going to be overwhelmed with the amount of good usable, moderately priced optics that are going to be out there NOW!!!! I've seen them and held them in my hands, and was even asked to sit in on a few meetings about them with company reps!!!!! moderately priced 1FP and 2FP scopes, save your pennies. the best 3 gun reticle that I saw was from Trijicon in an ACOG but it was very very nice, simple and very user friendly, i'll be getting one soon.

trapr

Save our pennies for the new K-dot do you mean, or some of these other alternatives that are gonna be hitting the market? I'd like to know more about the new range of 1-4 optics that are coming out.

• 1 month later...

I have managed to get one of the new ZDs today and first impressions are that its a really nice scope - its got a much shorter sun screen than the K-Dot and is a good few inches shorter OAL. The K-Dot is listed as 355mm and the ZD is shown as 263mm- so that is about 3 1/2 inches shorter. Weight wise the ZD is only shown as about 15g lighter so no real weight savings, if that is a big deal to you.

The top end illumination I would say is the same as the K-Dot but as my K-Dot got dropped by a careless buddy and the illumination turret snapped off so I cant compare, but it looks certainly as I remember it- in the lower end settings 1,2,3 it is almost black for low light.

The aiming dot is exactly the same as the K-Dot as a 2MOA dot with the same side chevrons, and it has the three upside down v's under the dot. At first glance they look to be the same size, just spaced differently apart for the longer ranges. The litrature says the centre dot is zeroed at 100m and the subsequent chevrons are ranged at 300, 400 and 500m respectively based on 5.56 Nato ammo. It goes on to also state what the BDC will do with 7.62 x 39 and 186 - 223 Remington (I must admit I am not a real savvy rifle guy and dont know what they mean by 186-223 Remington, perhaps someone can enlighten me - dumb limey !)

What I am initially a bit disappointed in is the fact it doesn't have a 200m chevron, it wouldnt have been hard to put in another v, or even a tiny 1/2 moa dot, like on the Burris and others to mark the exact aiming point. There is a fair gap between the bottom of the 100m dot and the top of the 300m chevron so it may prove a little guess work at this range. Again I am not rifle savvy and it may be no real issue if there may be a work around with different loads and zero points, but on first impressions they have missed a trick here, and it would seem to have been easily implemented so they must have had their reasons not to do it.

Still is a nice scope to use and its the only one in the UK so far - so I am happy to have it for a while on lone ! :rolleyes:

Edited by mike.45