Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you have dedicated rain gear?

SeaTact

Shot an IDPA match today (no heckling from USPSA devotees, please) and I'm hooked on competition shooting. Here in the Pacific NW, things are getting a little cloudier as fall and winter approaches. Which comes to my questions:

My Uncle Mike's range bag and my all-cotton clothes will turn into sponges if next month's match is in the rain. Do people have water resistant bags that they use in rainy weather? Anyone still use their electronic ear protection also?

Just trying to plan...

Thanks

I keep rain gear in the car just in case. I bought it at a Black Powder Cartridge Match when it started raining and I'm glad I did.

I still use my electronic hearing protection. After you get back in the car just dry them off and they will be good for the next time you need them.

Don't count on the electric muffs surviving being soaked. I know a guy who lost a few pair that way.

I keep a few trash bags in the car, and one with my gear. Easy way to keep things dry.

Shot an IDPA match today (no heckling from USPSA devotees, please) and I'm hooked on competition shooting. Here in the Pacific NW, things are getting a little cloudier as fall and winter approaches. Which comes to my questions:

My Uncle Mike's range bag and my all-cotton clothes will turn into sponges if next month's match is in the rain. Do people have water resistant bags that they use in rainy weather? Anyone still use their electronic ear protection also?

Just trying to plan...

Thanks

Shooter's Connection has a rain cover for their big gear bag that will do the job. It'll probably be a litte big for your Uncle Mike's bag. As for the rest, just basic outdoor rain gear.

I have trash bags in my range bags so if I get caught out in the rain I just put a bag in a bag. I dont mind the plastic rain gear if its cold as much but if I put one off to stay out of the rain and get drenched in sweat anyway I dont see the point. I use frogg togg rain gear because its breathable but keeps you dry.

http://www.froggtoggs.com/

Edited by jmorris

golf umbrella from wally word for around 15 dollar.

I keep a large lawn and leaf garbage bag around. If it rains, my range bag goes in that. I also keep a zip lock baggy around, and that goes over my gun when it starts raining. I have a lightweight raincoat, but it's really hot to wear.

I had the most amazing luck for about 4-5 years, but you're going to get rained on eventually.

+1 on the golf umbrella and garbage bags. Usually somebody will hold the umbrella for you while you get ready to shoot.

OOH good rules question! Would having somebody hold your umbrella over you while you make ready be considered assisting the shooter?

I have a set of Frog Togs that I keep in a vacuum sealed bag. They take up very little space that way and weigh next to nothing.

2 votes for Froggtoggs so far. Looks like they make good products. Thanks for everyones' suggestions so far.

Holding a golf umbrella while shooting from your weak hand in the middle of a windrain storm sounds like a great scenario...

those are all great suggestions. How would I clean my gun if it got totally rain soaked? Is it any different than just a normal gun cleaning?

Totally soaked...I fell into a stream while fyfishing- J-frame in my pocket. When I got home I drenched it with WD40, then took the sideplate off, drenched it with more WD40, then cleaned and lubed it as usual. No rust, no problems, all the dunked ammo worked fine as well. I don't think your gun can get more soaked than that.

+1 for Frogg Toggs. They take up little space and they breathe! Too, they're also a decent windbreak in a pinch. But don't ride your motorcycle while wearing them. Pipes are heck on 'em. :goof:

Oh yeah, and while you're at it, might want to invest in a pair of rain boots. Nothing like shooting in soggy shoes.

Have fun!!

Sherry

I have Sordin Supreme Pro X electronic waterproof earmuffs. While they are waterproof they are also EXPENSIVE so I would not wear them in the rain unless some safety situation required it. I would instead use the excellent surefire sonic defender earplugs. I've seen people use shower caps to try to keep the rain off their pistols, but I shoot a glock so it's not a big deal to me. A few trash bags inside your shooting bag would be very smart, though I always keep a ziplock bag or two in my shooting bag for items like keys, cellphones or extra brass :cheers: I would also recommend a towel or two in the car so you can dry off and keep your seats dry as you drive home.

CAZ

This is what I used in today's match in the rain, and it worked like a charm. Welcome to shooting in the Pacific Northwet.

45738_1528705308765_1568682177_1338892_5608207_n.jpg

45693_1528650747401_1568682177_1338621_164566_n.jpg

45108_1528639987132_1568682177_1338472_5177464_n.jpg

folds up nicely to fit in any trunk...

46002_1528647947331_1568682177_1338620_7704627_n.jpg

But to answer your question, yes, I do have dedicated gear. First off, find yourself some good all weather waterproof boots. I use 9" Timberland waterproof boots, along with good wicking socks. In action shooting were you do a lot of movement, the key is layering, not running thicker clothing. I use Timberland waterproof shell pants that are thin enough to allow for thiner, wicking thermal pants underneath. For my top layer, I run Under Armour cold weather gear, and last but not least a Northface 3/4 shell coat with hoodie. The kind with zip down under pits to allow for you to cool off.

The key is to be dry, warm, yet with the ability to cool down after some running around in the rain. Otherwise you are dry from the rain, but soaked with sweat, which isn't any better. Multiple thin layers, wicking material and a good jacket. When it gets colder, I use fishing gloves with the cut out thumbs and pointer fingers so i can still "tape" without having to remove my gloves.

I used to use the garbage bag trick for my range bag, until I started using the pull cart with the umbrella holder, now, no more worries. I don't have to fight for table space to keep my bag dry when I go bay to bay. I can access my bag without having to hassle with a plastic bag, and I have plenty of room to throw my jacket, etc on the cart and not worry about leaving it. On top of all that, I am not limited to what I want to carry. Lunch, extra hat, jacket, etc.

Edited by Aristotle

I'm lucky in that my club has a large folding tent, so everybody keeps dry while waiting (only the shooter & RO get rained on heh). That's if its only light rain. If heavy we shoot steel from under the canopy of the tent - luxury :D

+1 on plastic garbage bags to combat ground seepage into range bags.

Open comps outside the club - well everyone gets wet! Break out the rain jackets lol

I have trash bags in my range bags so if I get caught out in the rain I just put a bag in a bag. I don’t mind the plastic rain gear if it’s cold as much but if I put one off to stay out of the rain and get drenched in sweat anyway I don’t see the point. I use frogg togg rain gear because it’s breathable but keeps you dry.

http://www.froggtoggs.com/

+1 on the trash bag.

This is what I used in today's match in the rain, and it worked like a charm. Welcome to shooting in the Pacific Northwet.

But to answer your question, yes, I do have dedicated gear. First off, find yourself some good all weather waterproof boots. I use 9" Timberland waterproof boots, along with good wicking socks. In action shooting were you do a lot of movement, the key is layering, not running thicker clothing. I use Timberland waterproof shell pants that are thin enough to allow for thiner, wicking thermal pants underneath. For my top layer, I run Under Armour cold weather gear, and last but not least a Northface 3/4 shell coat with hoodie. The kind with zip down under pits to allow for you to cool off.

The key is to be dry, warm, yet with the ability to cool down after some running around in the rain. Otherwise you are dry from the rain, but soaked with sweat, which isn't any better. Multiple thin layers, wicking material and a good jacket. When it gets colder, I use fishing gloves with the cut out thumbs and pointer fingers so i can still "tape" without having to remove my gloves.

I used to use the garbage bag trick for my range bag, until I started using the pull cart with the umbrella holder, now, no more worries. I don't have to fight for table space to keep my bag dry when I go bay to bay. I can access my bag without having to hassle with a plastic bag, and I have plenty of room to throw my jacket, etc on the cart and not worry about leaving it. On top of all that, I am not limited to what I want to carry. Lunch, extra hat, jacket, etc.

Nice photos of your cart, BUT what's the brand??? Where can you buy them????

Thanks.

After shooting a match in a tropical storm and being ill prepared, I carry a bag with the following in my truck:

trash bags, large umbrella, waterproof cover for my range bag(Got it from Double Alpha), rain coat, waterproof shoes, change of clothes just in case. In winter I add a down filled waterproof coat.

Nice photos of your cart, BUT what's the brand??? Where can you buy them????

Thanks.

It's made by Mac Sports. I picked mine up from Kmart for $59.99 when it was on sale. You can buy them from Cabela's, Brownells or most any sporting goods retailer, usually online. I know Target, Sears and Kmart has them online. It's just called a folding utility cart.