Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Right before the Buzzer?

GuyC

I have been shooting with a shot clock for some time now and have a question about breathing technique. I hear shooter ready... and breathe in a deep breath and wait for the buzzer, and draw on a breath out. I asked my shooting partner what he does and he says he has a constant short in and out pattern. What do you do, or what do the pros do?

Thanks, Guy

Don't know if this is right, but when I here, are you ready, I draw a breath in and nod my head, let the breath out slow and relax.

I still have plenty air when the buzzer sounds. As for as my breathing during the course of fire I really don't know, but I never feel out of breath when I get through, even on the long courses.

Don't know if this is right, but when I here, are you ready, I draw a breath in and nod my head, let the breath out slow and relax.

I still have plenty air when the buzzer sounds. As for as my breathing during the course of fire I really don't know, but I never feel out of breath when I get through, even on the long courses.

I do this and try to relax.

What do you do, or what do the pros do?

I focus on the first target, and/or any oddball start procedure (like dropping something in a barrel), and forget about stuff that doesn't matter, like whether I'm inhaling or exhaling! I do take two or three big breaths right as I settle into the start position, then nod that I'm ready. We can't breath well while shooting, which is why we're often winded at the end of a stage, and your retina requires the most oxygenated blood per size of any part of the body, so the big breaths help with vision more than anything.

By accident, a friend got pretty much all of my routine at Area-5....load the gun, turn off ears, two deep breaths, nod, shoot. Not the greatest stage for me, plenty of things to clean up, but it gets the idea across:

Edited by G-ManBart

I take a deep breath in on "shooter ready" and let it out slowly on standby. This helps me control tension in my arms and shoulders.

Same for me. At standby I softly exhale to about a half breath, as I felt my entire upper body relax.

be

• 2 weeks later...

On "standby" deep breath and exhale slowly. When I hear the buzzer, quickly inhale and go to work.

Oxygen needed to work muscles is taken in during inhale when the action starts. During COF, breathing is normal pace but deeper.

At least that's what works for me.

this is actually a pretty important topic

I like to take a deep breath and clear my mind. I already know what I have to do. Now its all about execution. I do not really stare at the first target becasue I need my eyes to shift, and I don't want them to get stuck on one target. I will also go through a routine, it more of a relaxing routine that takes me down a level, instead of being amped up. When the ro says shooter ready I am taking a deep breath and exhaling all the anxiety out. All I am listening for is the first sound of the buzzer.

I must say that this can set up the whole entire stage for failure or success.

What do I do?

I forget everything I planned during the walk through, panic, shoot all deltas, miss all my reloads, and then cry when I get home.

:)

lol. Honestly though, learning how to "clear your mind" before running the actual stage and focusing on doing what you need to do takes practice. If you want to get better at it, simply just do it more.

Good luck! :)

I have been shooting with a shot clock for some time now and have a question about breathing technique. I hear shooter ready... and breathe in a deep breath and wait for the buzzer, and draw on a breath out. I asked my shooting partner what he does and he says he has a constant short in and out pattern. What do you do, or what do the pros do?

Thanks, Guy

Huh<

Well I am on the inhale at the buzzer and do the slow exhale side of things.

As a life long swimmer, I was more of a distance swimmer whm had to learn to control my reathing patterns with my stroke in a rhythm pattern.

I guess this is the way I shoot.

I am of course a newbie and a poor example at that..:)

Far better swimmer than a good shot. I am working on the later...

Alan

As a life long swimmer, I was more of a distance swimmer whm had to learn to control my reathing patterns with my stroke in a rhythm pattern.

I guess this is the way I shoot.

If you really want to explore this, try something simple. Fill up a mag to capacity...15, 17, whatever you can to get as many rounds as possible. Then, simply take a sight picture on the berm and shoot about one shot per second while very slowly walking forward five feet, and backwards five feet...repeat until the gun is dry. You may find something you wouldn't have expected :)

I take two or three deep breaths as I am making ready to oxygenate my blood, then when the RO says stand by, I take a deep breath and exhale sharply when the buzzer goes off. It's kind of like a kia in karate, it engages everything.

I take a deep breath at stand-by, then slowly exhale. When the buzzer goes off, I'm not sure what happens, I'll guess an inhale. I'm just like the above poster, nature does it's thing, lucky for me the breathing process is Sub-conscience,lol.

I take two or three deep breaths as I am making ready to oxygenate my blood, then when the RO says stand by, I take a deep breath and exhale sharply when the buzzer goes off. It's kind of like a kia in karate, it engages everything.

i always felt slightly stupid yelling something when i was doing some strike in a kata

• 3 months later...

Couple of deep breaths, both in and out at Are you ready?, and then a very slow inhalation, mainly from the diaphragm, at Stand by. That last breath is slow; my lungs are rarely more than 3/4 full at the beep. I can inhale relaxed, and like to feel the air circulating in my sinuses as a way of focussing. I also stay a bit better oxygenated. Brad Engmann's idea, the inhalation, not mine. Good to think outside the box once in a while.

I took a lesson from David Neth, and we discussed how many brains are disengaged when that buzzer goes off. For some it's fear. Others it may be the actual sound or public performance anxiety. Who knows. He told me to get excited! He looks forward to that buzzer sound. He knows the training was done, you're loose and can sprint, the equipment is good to go, and all that's left is to get the game going.

I brought the topic up because I was having some Pavlovian type reaction. The anxiety of "when, when and will I miss." Who cares! When I hear "shooter make ready" I feel as if I'm about to get my match entry fee's worth.

Wonder if I can make my cell phone ringer the exact sound of my Pact shot timer???

Edited by kreativecid

I am still new to the sport. I am always so nervous that I will look like a idiot in front of some really good shooters. I think just focusing on my breathing no matter what I actually do maybe it will keep my mind occupied. Focus on the routine not the fear of failure. That will be my new mantra.