Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advantage or Disadvantage to being an S/O?

beltjones

SOs give other SOs a larger benefit of the doubt. So your scores will go up once you take the SO class.

So Advantage for sure.

Does this mean if you go to an out of town match, you give the local staff a special handshake to get the larger benefit of doubt? Do we paint a blue line on our vest so they know who we are before they "give" us a procedural?

Scoring or timing lots of shooters every month gives one the oppurtunity to see how every one shoots the stages. You see what works and what does not. This advantage is there for everyone if they decide to pay attention. It may not be as good as a practice session but it does improve your knowledge of the sport and therefore your performance as well.

T

A00150

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me: I'm harder on folks that should know the rules (SO's). Yes, I occasionally cut brand new shooters some slack & explain things, probably shouldn't though.

Me too, and anyone else that does it, IMHO, is promoting the sport by not penalising a noobie for pulling a bone head move.

Safety is another issue and there is no slack cut.

I'm a relatively new SO. At our clubs monthly matches the SO's move with the squad through the stages. I have noticed that my shooting is definitely effected when I'm SOing. I'm too busy watching each shooter, or taking score to think about how I'm going to shoot the stage. I absolutely agree with what others have said as far as it being an essential activity for giving back to the sport, I'm just not crazy about doing it. My shooting suffers.

Advantages

- Helping out

- You get to see how a lot of shooters (including Masters) approach a stage

- Reinforces your understanding of the rules

Disadvantages

- Less time to concentrate on how you will do the stage

- Constant standing/walking can make you more tired

- Your hearing takes more of a continuous beating if it is a stage where people have to shoot next to a barricade or other prop that causes sound to bounce at you

I think being an SO has made me a better competitor, and it gives something back to the sport. But I don't feel bad when I don't volunteer to work the big/sanctioned matches. :D

Me: I'm harder on folks that should know the rules (SO's). Yes, I occasionally cut brand new shooters some slack & explain things, probably shouldn't though.

I agree, but I wouldn't call it "harder." I just follow the rules to the letter with experienced shooters. With new shooters, I try to cut them a little slack for the sole purpose of sinking the hook in their lip. I want them coming back to matches, and don't feel that will happen if their first experience is with a Range Nazi running them. I don't hesitate to issue penalties for the blatant stuff (which I explain to them afterwards), but my Circle of Maybe is expanded a bit.

I'm a relatively new SO. At our clubs monthly matches the SO's move with the squad through the stages. I have noticed that my shooting is definitely effected when I'm SOing. I'm too busy watching each shooter, or taking score to think about how I'm going to shoot the stage. I absolutely agree with what others have said as far as it being an essential activity for giving back to the sport, I'm just not crazy about doing it. My shooting suffers.

Try to get squadded with several other SOs. One thing that works well for me is if there are 3-4 SOs on my squad, so that we can take turns. Run a few shooters, then hand the timer off to someone else. It makes it a little easier.

Not advantageous at all. You get distracted, can't focus, don't have the time to mentally or physically prepare yourself, get tired out faster and to a greater degree.... The list goes on and on. There are some advantages but they fade quickly.

SOs give other SOs a larger benefit of the doubt. So your scores will go up once you take the SO class.

So Advantage for sure.

Maybe in your club, but definitely not in the ones I shoot with. We're in the school of thought that an SO should know better, so they deserve the penalties they earn.

Newer shooters are more likely to get the benefit of the doubt, but even that's not too common. I'm blessed to get to shoot with alot of fair and consistent SO's...davehorn is one of those. :)

At a 12 stage match Saturday a guy on my squad relieved me of SO duties for two entire stages back to back. I was sure thankful for a good break like that.

You'll SO your squad for an entire match?! I always trade off the duties with other guys on the squad who are SOs.

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the individual. There's a lot more distractions and physical demands on a SO than just being a shooter. Sure, you might get a little "inside peak" for the COF, but by the time you get there, you're usually wrapped up in everything else. For me it's a wash as far as "competitive performance". Not that I'm much of a "competitor" by any means...But it's really great being able to help out with the IDPA game so I try to SO as much as possible.

Wyley

Advantages..

-- You get the stages in advance and may even help set them up. If you are helping set up, you get to walk through the stage several times perfecting them. You know before hand the best places to shoot from, and any angles that may present problems.

--Generally, the S/O's give each other the beneift of the doubt.

--When the S/O's shoot, it is usually a pretty relaxed day.

--Satisfcation that you helped put on a good match.

Disadvantages..

--Its a lot of work, and if its hot out your possibly in the sun all day.

--people dont appreciate the work you do, considering your a Volunteer.

I can say that after today I think it is a big disadvantage. After setup yesterday and shooting the SO squads today and having to run just about everybody I just couldn't get focused and I got tired at the end.

Oh well, maybe I will get a chance to slack around at some point.

Brian......Slack at the Nationals <g>

For those that might not know Brian, he is a class act that will step up and cover a friend's butt. He is a master class shooter that is a master class act. I am honored to call him a friend. If you see him at Nationals or any other match, say hi. He is a great guy to get to know.

Edited by solaritx

Interesting how it works at different clubs. Today I was SO for my squad, which consisted of most of the better shooters - not all but most. At our club, the SO, if one is officially designated, moves with the squad. We are trying to be more rule conscienous, so today we had official SOs who went over each stage with the MD to be sure all were on the same page procedure-wise. This is a good idea, since I am sure the 5 of us would have otherwise run parts of the stages at least 3 different ways. However, I actually ran less than half the shooters in my squad. Almost all experienced shooters chip in to run shooters and keep score. I had the last word on procedure issues and there were lots of issues. I think our "super squad" people enjoy arguing fine points as much as shooting. IDPA is a great and fertile field for debate. All of the better shoters at our club shoot IPSC also and have a tendency to shoot fast and mouth off even faster, me included. But to answer the question, I don't think it isan advantage to be an SO, except that it increases ones awareness of the game and that leads to being a better competitor. Yes, you might get the benefit of the doubt on a close call for points, but you do (and should) get called quicker on a procedural. More people will be watching and watching more closely if you are the guy calling procedurals or hounding others about cover. So I think that evens out, at best.

Bottom line - if asked, do it. If not asked to be an SO, volunteer to run shooters and eventually you will be asked. to behave otherwise is a FTDR.

Your physical energy level is directly tied to your mental state. As SOs/MDs you tend to blow extra energy on running stages keeping the match running properly, etc. This ultimately detracts from your mental state to play the game efficiently. I've always performed better as just a shooter. Usually the only advantage/disadvantage SOs may get is weather related by shooting on different days. I know mother nature has personally screwed me a few times ;)

I signed up to SO because I wanted to be an active member of the sport and not just a "shooter". Prior to becoming a qualified SO, I would normally volunteer to keep score. That allowed me to participate and learn at the same time.

SO probably has a slight negative impact on your score, especially here it Florida where the SO can't get out of the sun. Our local club tries to match up 2 SOs with each squad. This does allow the SO to prepare and cool off periodically.

I can say that after today I think it is a big disadvantage. After setup yesterday and shooting the SO squads today and having to run just about everybody I just couldn't get focused and I got tired at the end.

Oh well, maybe I will get a chance to slack around at some point.

It's not always done that way.

A local match I was at last week, we setup the COF, checked it and then shot it after a small break and the next day run the shooters through. Certainly no advantage here.

At the NY State match we setup, did a mass walk through, checking for errors, the after a light lunch shot the match. It was well into the 90's. No advantage here.

I don't think SOs have any advantage on a particular stage. I'm to busy watching the gun and counting rounds to label my time running the shooter as a walk through.

However, being an SO will make you a better competitor because you will better understand the rules and how they apply.

+1. Agree with this completely

You have the advantage of being the Test Rat on stages as the SO's usually shoot first so any small corrections or problem areas can be addressed before the match. Your usually tired from setting or helping set up stages. The main advantage is the pleasure you receive from meeting people and the satisfaction of a smooth flowing stage.

I'll always take a min. to thank the SO's/ RO's on a stage as they have put forth a lot of seen and unseen effort to be sure you have a good time on a stage.

Keep your fingers crossed for the Tri State this weekend, looks we'll get rained on.