Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have $500 to spend on a reloading setup

Wik

I am looking to start reloading and my budget is around $500 for a complete setup. I'd maybe go a little higher if need be. I am going to reload mostly pistol calibers to start with, but eventually will be loading 30-06 and 308. I am more interested in loading for 9mm and .44 magnum right now, though. I was thinking about just going Lee Turret press, but may spring for something better (progressive maybe?). Reloading rifle calibers isnt a priority right now, I'll probably just get a seperate single stage for that.

A list of things I think I'll need:

Press

Carbide dies

Powder measure/dispenser

Powder Scale

Calipers (Already have two, one digital)

Plastic bins

Bullet puller

Brass trimmer

Cartridge gauge

Do you guys have an recommendations? I am no GM and don't fire 1,000 rounds a week. I maybe shoot 3k rounds of 9mm a year. I am not looking to reload to save money, though. I'm looking to be able to shoot more for the same amount of money ;) I will probably reload 4k rounds per year.

Thanks for any and all help.

Edited by Wik

I'd love to order from Brian, but I am not looking for input on who to order from. I'm looking for what specifically to order given my budget constraints (Lets say $600) and wants.

If your not going to shoot your rifle in comp. then a single stage press is all you need. If your going to shoot the 9mm in comp and the ocassinal 44 mag I would buy the Square Deal. you can buy it from BE for 439. shipped and ready to load the 9mm, you can load 400 rounds an hour without a problem. The Square Deal will only reload straight wall pistol cases. to reload rifle progressivly you have to have at least a 550B and they start a little higher without dies than Square Deal does with them.

Ive loaded off a Lyman orange crusher and RCBS rock chucker for almost 40 yrs. loaded 1000's of rifle and pistol on them both, it wasnt until i started shooting uspsa, did i get a progressive, ( Dillon 650). a single stage press, might be the way to go, never used a turret press. right now im loading about 500 rds a month of 38super on a single stage, but ONLY until i get a conversion kit for my dillon. ah, so many choices to make!!

A list of things I think I'll need:

Press I prefer the 550B but get a square deal from Brian.

Carbide dies Will come with SDB

Powder measure/dispenser Also comes with SDB

Powder Scale Get the digital from Brian

Calipers (Already have two, one digital) Why do you need another one?

Plastic bins

Bullet puller

Brass trimmer

Cartridge gauge Use your barrel

Do you guys have an recommendations? I am no GM and don't fire 1,000 rounds a week. I maybe shoot 3k rounds of 9mm a year. I am not looking to reload to save money, though. I'm looking to be able to shoot more for the same amount of money ;) I will probably reload 4k rounds per year.

Thanks for any and all help.

Some of the best advice you will ever get will come from Brian.

Call him.

^ ^ ^ ^ Very good advice.

Call Brian, tell him what you what to do and what your budget is and he should be able to tell you what you will need to get there. he will give far better advice that I, and he will do it for free too! :)

For pistol, a Square Deal B will work awesome. I've been loading .40 and .45 for the last 3 years on a SDB. Bought it used, figured out how to set it up and it's been great. I'd love to have a 650, most of us would (if not already owned).

For $300 I got everything I needed for two calibers minus components. I like the auto index.

When you get to rifle, a single stage press is like $40. Add all the bells and whistles and it's more like $100. Depends on how much rifle ammo you plan to load.

I am looking to start reloading and my budget is around $500 for a complete setup. for 9mm and .44 magnum right now, though. I was thinking about just going Lee Turret press, but may spring for something better (progressive maybe?). Reloading rifle calibers isnt a priority right now, I'll probably just get a seperate single stage for that.

If you load only 60 -100 rounds a week, you can start with anything.

The cheapest press you can find will be just fine - if you have the

hour or two every week to load those rounds. And, you'll be able

to load rifle on a single stage press - worked well for me for many

years, until I started loading 10,000 + rounds/year - then I needed

a Square Deal for pistols, or a 550/650 for rifle/pistol.

You should get a tumbler to clean your brass, too and a scale?

Good luck.

Thanks for the tips. At the recommendation of a few on here (some through PM's), and a few local guys I'm going with the Lee Turret press as planned. I'm on a budget and a beginner. With the turret I can learn each step of the process easier than I could with a progressive and I can still churn out 200 rds an hour. It's easier to set up and best of all, the kit costs under $200. It has awesome reviews and it seems like everyone who uses it loves it. If I feel like I need to load 500 rounds a day I'll swap over to the dillon. I was able to pick it up, a tumbler, media, and carbide dies for $300.

Edited by Wik

Thanks for the tips. At the recommendation of a few on here (some through PM's), and a few local guys I'm going with the Lee Turret press as planned. I'm on a budget and a beginner. With the turret I can learn each step of the process easier than I could with a progressive and I can still churn out 200 rds an hour. It's easier to set up and best of all, the kit costs under $200. It has awesome reviews and it seems like everyone who uses it loves it. If I feel like I need to load 500 rounds a day I'll swap over to the dillon. I was able to pick it up, a tumbler, media, and carbide dies for $300.

Well done.

Besides a couple good manuals, a visit to the "Reloading FAQs" thread we have might be in order.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=100662

Check out the link I have at the bottom of the page (post #4) from Sinclair.

Very good resource for the new reloader.

Kit the Lee CLASSIC Turret. NOT the Deluxe. Go the Kempfs Gun Shop to order it in a kit with out the crappy Lee scale (trust me on this). Get the upgrade to get the Pro Powder Measuer. Call Brian, get the Dillon Beam Scale, Case Gauges (not needed but nice). I personally don't like FCD's so perhaps order the Crimp Dies from Dillon/Brian as well. Add a Frankin Arsenal Tumbler combo for $75 from Midway. If you order from Midway while you are doing it get a extra set of discs so you can custom tune some disc to some in between sizes. They are cheap so it's not a big deal. The Lee Classic Turret is a good press. I would think for your modest ammo needs it will work perfectly. I should never have sold mine.

^ I did get the Lee Classic turret. I plan on getting an electric scale to supplement the Lee scale. Already bought a tumbler. Bought a set of Lee carbides with the factory crimp. They're cheap and if I dont like the factory crimp I can buy another one.

What are the advantages to the Pro powder measure? I'm still unsure on the powder disks, my loads will all be the same being 3.3-3.4 grains of titegroup, is there a setting on the disks for 3.3, or is that something I'll need to figure out with experimentation?

Thanks.

Edited by Wik

The Pro is teflon coated. A lot smoother. Easier to assemble and change discs on. I don't know why they still make the other. It's worth it.

Skip the digital scale. All you need is one good beam scale. Digital is going to cost more for no real gain in your situation. The Lee scale is so slow, so tedious to use, it's just not worth having to learn this craft with. Seriously. Cancel order from Cabelas or whoever and get the Kempf kit with the parts I listed. You want extra discs so you can then make the in between size you might need. They are only about $10 so just get them to be prepared.

The kit I got has the Pro powder measure already. I will try out the Lee scale before I buy another. Cabelas is local and I would rather buy from them. I appreaciate the input, though.

So far I have:

Lee Classic Turret

Large & small primer feeders

Pro auto-disc measure

four measuring discs

Lee safety scale

Lee Deluxe carbide 4 die set

ABC's of Reloading and Lyman's 48th

2 calipers, one digital, one dial

Brass tumbler (~800 round capacity), media, separator

I'll be picking up a few plastic bins and some storage containers for completed rounds. I'll use a barrel for a cartridge gauge.

Anything else you guys would strongly recommend?