Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Options - Square Deal B or 550B

38SuperDub

OK before you say 550B right off the bat read my post.

I am just getting into USPSA right now. I shoot 40 S&W and plan to stay in limited for a while. I have ZERO plans right now to do any 3 gun shooting. Just too much of an investment with me having to buy a shotgun and an ar-15. Since I only plan to reload pistol rounds - and I am on a limited budget - is the Square Deal B a good option?

Thanks in advance.

Brandon

If you plan on only reloading pistol, then the Square Deal B is an excellent choice. Really, really hard to double charge or no charge a round on the SDB, and it comes with dies already installed. I love mine.

Thats what I like hearing - the only thing i ever plan to reload (atleast for the next 4 or 5 years) is pistol - and IFFFF I ever want to move to rifle - I'll worry about that at that time....but I really dont see it in the future....

Do you want answers or just validation for the choice you have already made ?

No way I would pick a SDB, lack of future versatility, and was very dissatisfied with Dillon dies, not sure If SDB dies are any better but wouldnt risk it, I got loads of chamber check failures using Dillon seat die,

Also no way to use a separate seat crimp die, U die, or Lee FCD die on a SDB. Once you get more into match ammo where one bad round can ruin a match you'll realize what those are for.

550 with out a doubt. SDB is just tiny compared to the 550. Lack of Roller Handle, Lack of die choices, higher caliber conversion cost. There is a reason the 550 is so popular. Lack of auto indexing is not a big deal. Pay attention, learn the process. Even if you never, ever plan to load rifle I would still get the 550.

Since I only plan to reload pistol rounds - and I am on a limited budget - is the Square Deal B a good option?

It's a very economical place to start. The resale value is good as well. That said, my personal preference is for the 550 for a very odd reason - I prefer a manual index.

Can't really knock the SDB as friends of mine have owned them and had few complaints.

However, I think I can advise with confidence that you'll never regret the 550.

Like stated by others earlier, I happen to prefer Redding TIC Sizing Dies, Redding Competition Seating Die and Lee Factory Crimp Die(personal choices, not based on any hatred of Dillon or anything).

As such, with 550B I can (and do) use whatever dies I want.

For the price, its hard to beat a SDB but I promise you that you won't regret the extra $$ you spent on the 550B.

Not many other shooters I know that say they prefer the SDB over the 550B. Maybe its just the people I know.

I've loaded a couple hundred thousand rounds on my SDB....had it since 91 or 92 (can't recall). I won a 550 from Brian and still haven't gotten around to getting him to send it to me many months later. I do plan on buying a 1050 soon, but I can easily crank out 4-500 rounds an hour on the SDB and I normally only load 1-200 at a time. The one downside is if you get free brass that's been shot through guns with oversized chambers you'll likely want to get a cheap single stage press to run it through a U-die or Redding GRx before loading. R,

Buy you a press and reload and shoot and don't worry about it.

If it loads bullets it will serve you.

You don't have to divorce the damned thing if you don't like it. Sell it and buy something else. A SDB for sale here right now.

I have 2 SDB loaders, one for 9mm and one for .45, and I love them. No chamber problems with the dedicated Dillon dies. The auto index is great. I've tried a 550B and would rather have the SDB. John Taffin uses them and that says a lot. For the money and what it is designed to do, the SDB may be the best loader on the market. The first year I had mine I loaded over 10,000 rounds on it before my wife bought the second one.

It takes a little time to get used to the manual indexing on a 550. The people who most often complain are those that try and transition from a auto indexing press to the manual indexing on the 550. Manual indexing takes a little longer to get accustomed to in that situation. In the long run it's a non issue for most people.

I am going to be different, I know it is not what you asked "but" consider either a SD or a 650, after I have watched two of my friends with 550's double charge or squib, I have come to the conclusion that life is full of distractions and you need auto indexing....my .02. I Have a 650 now and I can load 5-600 an hour without a worry, not even when my 5 year old interrupts me to go play ball then come back to reload. Besides the 650 is not that much more than a 550 from BE.

Only problem with a square deal, your stuck with the dies that come with the press and that limits the quality of ammo you can load. Using a stock pistol, it will work Great. Get into a quality built SV,STI,Les Baer etc with a tight chamber then the square deal might not produce ammo that will run.

Go with a 550B and you can use any dies out there, as a U die. While you might move up to a faster machine later, The 550B can produce better quality ammo for any gun you may purchase later.

All Dillon presses hold value, the 550B is just a lot more use full machine because of die selection.

I have two 550B's that have served me well.

Shooting varied STI guns and a few others with aftermarket barrels. I use other brands of dies than Dillon in all the calibers I load except 223.

Caliber change over only takes a few minutes. If your loading several calibers that's a plus also.

The 550B would be with you for a long time and all you need are dies and shell plates when you purchase the next fire arm, who knows what caliber it might be?

Like fastarget I'm going to be different. Take a look at the Hornady LnL AP also. It auto indexes, uses standard dies, is about the price of a rl550b, and is a solid machine (according to those who own one).

Im in the exact same boat. I am leaning towards the SDB myself because of the auto indexing. I am brand new to reloading, and worry about that double charge. I only plan on reloading for 38 super. I just wonder that since I havent ever reloaded, if I'll even notice the difference between auto and manually indexing is I pay attention. I have a 4 year old that loves to distract me though.

...I got a set of Lee dies when I bought my used open setup, so that adds more confussion since I could buy a 550 and be ready.

Yea - I have not made my mind up yet as to which way I am going to go - I love all the advice.

Bob DuBois - I think you are my long lost relative - Brandon DuBois here LOL so your post holds 2 times the weight of others.

Time to google the Hornady....

I load on an original Square Deal (not a B model), in .38 Super and have since 1989. Before that an original Square Deal in .45 ACP that I bought in 1987. Before 1987 I had NEVER reloaded a single round. I learned to reload on the Square Deal.

I just got the super press back from Dillon and paid $49.00 for a complete rebuild and had the press back in about 2 weeks. I can't imagine loading without the auto-indexing feature. Ammo quality is fine in my Open Gun. (Ottocomp Caspian Hi-Cap).

My recommendation:

Buy Square Deal, new or used.

Load ammo

If you feel the need to upgrade later, sell press for not much less than you paid for it.

Buy a 650 or 1050.

Enjoy

Marty

A-7424

Edited by martyg00

I have 2 550's - one for small primers and one for large. I would say 550 all day if you asked me 3 months ago. I just helped my dad set up a Square Deal in 45 - about the only pistol besides .22 he shoots. What a cool machine! If you are only going to go with 1 pistol caliber, its the way to go. Multiple calibers may lead me towards the 550. Good news is if you decide to upgrade, you can usually get your money out of a Dillon by selling to another shooter.

I may have a 550 for sale soon that is set for 40, and a complete tool head for 9mm. Let me know if your interested. Oh, it also has a casefeeder.

(to add - selling to get another 1050...with mama shooting too I cant keep up :surprise: )

Only problem with a square deal, your stuck with the dies that come with the press and that limits the quality of ammo you can load. Using a stock pistol, it will work Great. Get into a quality built SV,STI,Les Baer etc with a tight chamber then the square deal might not produce ammo that will run.

Go with a 550B and you can use any dies out there, as a U die. While you might move up to a faster machine later, The 550B can produce better quality ammo for any gun you may purchase later.

All Dillon presses hold value, the 550B is just a lot more use full machine because of die selection.

I have two 550B's that have served me well.

Shooting varied STI guns and a few others with aftermarket barrels. I use other brands of dies than Dillon in all the calibers I load except 223.

Caliber change over only takes a few minutes. If your loading several calibers that's a plus also.

The 550B would be with you for a long time and all you need are dies and shell plates when you purchase the next fire arm, who knows what caliber it might be?

Hmmmm...I'm not buying that with the possible exception of .40 brass that has been fired in guns with an oversized chamber. I have match guns with Bar-Sto, Nowlin, KKM, Schuemann, Storm Lake and STI and ammo off an SDB works in all of them, all the time. Ask pretty much anybody who's shot with me much and I'm the one guy who's gun never pukes. In .40 I run the cases through a U-die the first time and after that they're fine. I've lost count, but in Super and SC I'm sure I've loaded 100K+ (probably more like 150K) and never ran into a situation where the ammo didn't chamber properly. R,

For sure it sounds like you want to load progressively, cause you haven't mentioned a single stage they do have em at cabelas for 130.00 lee clasic setup! But nothin like a Dillon progressive! Youtube the 450 and 550B and why not the 650 hell even the 1050 since you don't plan on loading in other calibers! If you youtube you can see em all in action,and don't forget to look at the faqs here, or email or call Brian he will take the time and help you on your quest on finding the right Machine! Good luck on your search and be safe, oh ya My 550B runs like a bat out of. Hell! If I can just keep up with having my supplies stocked up! Lol...