Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

View New Content

Steve J

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, what I'm seeing is an INTERMITTENT phenomenon in the VNC link.

And even this--> If I click on it and it comes up blank, I can immediately click on it again and have it pop up with the current new posts. Go figure.

Conclusion: Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'm officially no longer gonna worry about it. :D

From IP:

Having JS enabled or disabled when using VNC wouldn't affect the results, since they are generated on the server side using PHP/SQL.

By not working, do you mean not returning results or do you get an error? If it's no results, again you need to set the view new content method in your settings to "Show me content that I have not read". I do believe there is a bug with the default setting "Show me content since my last visit", however our developers are currently working on it.

So please take that into account if you post that it's "not working."

be

More good stuff on this from IP's forums:

Ask your members what their Search Settings are. This can be found in their UserCP (the userpane in the top right of the page, they click their name and click on the settings option).

They will have one of the following two options set

- Show me all new content since my last visit

- Shoe me all content that I have not read

Is there a trend? Such as, all those having the issue are using one setting while the others are using the other setting?

So for now, everyone please change your Search settings (My Settings/General Settings) to "show me all content that I have not read" before posting that it's not working. And note that IS NOT the default setting.

be

Please, from here on, before posting that it's not working or intermittent, post that you:

So for now, everyone please change your Search settings (My Settings/General Settings) to "show me all content that I have not read" before posting that it's not working.

That's the only way we can move onward with this.

be

Brian, it's not that it's not working...sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't. And that's with the previous setting of "show all post since your last visit".

That's the setting with the bug. So please change to "show me all content I have not read" and try again.

be

More good stuff on this from IP's forums:

Ask your members what their Search Settings are. This can be found in their UserCP (the userpane in the top right of the page, they click their name and click on the settings option).

They will have one of the following two options set

- Show me all new content since my last visit

- Shoe me all content that I have not read

Is there a trend? Such as, all those having the issue are using one setting while the others are using the other setting?

I just logged on for the first time today. My setting was "since last visit". I changed it to "that I have not read" and hit VNC and got There are 171 new entries since Yesterday, 09:22 PM. That sounds about right.

I'm still communicating between IPS and TSS on this:

Several things likely at play here.

1) Remember that you *should* have the sphinx indexes set to rebuild every 15 minutes. So, it would be up to 15 minutes before new posts show up in VNC.

I'll post as I'm updated.

be

I'm still communicating between IPS and TSS on this:

Several things likely at play here.

1) Remember that you *should* have the sphinx indexes set to rebuild every 15 minutes. So, it would be up to 15 minutes before new posts show up in VNC.

I'll post as I'm updated.

be

That has never been the case in the past.... new post show immediately.

I have my settings at 'Show me all new posts since my last visit'

The VNC is working for me with that setting.

If I hit Mark All Forums as Read and then hit VNC it shows nothing until about 15 minutes have passed and then hitting it shows me the updates.

It did not do this before the upgrade because the forum was not using the Sphinx Search process. The Sphinx process is used for all searches, not just those in the search box. The VNC is essentially a customised search argument. Sphinx appears to read the index to locate the applicable results but this index is only built every 15 minutes. The searches are faster with this mechanism but the index delay is something we will have to get used to.

I imagine the index rebuild could be done more frequently but with over 1.2 million posts I suspect the load on the server would become excessive.

I have my settings at 'Show me all new posts since my last visit'

The VNC is working for me with that setting.

If I hit Mark All Forums as Read and then hit VNC it shows nothing until about 15 minutes have passed and then hitting it shows me the updates.

It did not do this before the upgrade because the forum was not using the Sphinx Search process. The Sphinx process is used for all searches, not just those in the search box. The VNC is essentially a customised search argument. Sphinx appears to read the index to locate the applicable results but this index is only built every 15 minutes. The searches are faster with this mechanism but the index delay is something we will have to get used to.

I imagine the index rebuild could be done more frequently but with over 1.2 million posts I suspect the load on the server would become excessive.

Me no like this....Me want instant results!