Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

View New Content

Steve J

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have my settings at 'Show me all new posts since my last visit'

The VNC is working for me with that setting.

If I hit Mark All Forums as Read and then hit VNC it shows nothing until about 15 minutes have passed and then hitting it shows me the updates.

It did not do this before the upgrade because the forum was not using the Sphinx Search process. The Sphinx process is used for all searches, not just those in the search box. The VNC is essentially a customised search argument. Sphinx appears to read the index to locate the applicable results but this index is only built every 15 minutes. The searches are faster with this mechanism but the index delay is something we will have to get used to.

I imagine the index rebuild could be done more frequently but with over 1.2 million posts I suspect the load on the server would become excessive.

Acutally, that is a huge step backward as far as I'm concerned... the amount of searching I do compared to the VNC has got to be 100 to 1. To have the rebuild done every 15 mins is a major pain in the ass.

Edited by JThompson

The Sphinx search provides enhancements over the regular search engine. The 1.2 million posts constitute an impressive knowledge base, but that knowledge is only of use if it can be found and read.

The delay is of little consequence to me. If there is a thread that I am watching closely then I can just access that topic and hit the refresh button to see the updates. If there is a fix for this issue then I'm sure it will be applied, for me its not a show-stopper.

That's all well and good, but when it's doing its' refresh. if you click on it, does it come back with "no new content"? I have changed my settings, just went to check the salmon I'm cooking, clicked the view new content, and nothing....no new content.

Edited by GrumpyOne

I just logged on for the first time today. My setting was "since last visit". I changed it to "that I have not read" and hit VNC and got There are 171 new entries since Yesterday, 09:22 PM. That sounds about right.

Back on line 3.5 hours later. No new content. That's wrong. It's broken.

The Sphinx search provides enhancements over the regular search engine. The 1.2 million posts constitute an impressive knowledge base, but that knowledge is only of use if it can be found and read.

The delay is of little consequence to me. If there is a thread that I am watching closely then I can just access that topic and hit the refresh button to see the updates. If there is a fix for this issue then I'm sure it will be applied, for me its not a show-stopper.

I really don't see any difference in the search. For example do a search on CM 09-08 it's not even in the results and it's on the first page in the classifiers.Which is about the same thing I found in the old one.

Edited by JThompson

Couldn't get anything a couple hours ago, even after making the switch Brian said to make. Now I got 1 page, says there are 6 pages, 133 new entries but after page 1, it just shows "no new content". Guess I've looked at everything on page 1 that even interests me in the least. Maybe later? I won't know what to do if the new entries doesn't get up & running. That is the only way I look at the site unless I am researching some thing in specific or looking for someone.

I bet running a webpage like this is a real pain in the tookus. Especially when trying to make upgrades.

Thanks for the hard work whoever is doing all this. We appreciate your efforts & I'm sure it will be fine after a while.

MLM

Now it's working and without changing my setting to "that I haven't read." This does seem to be some kind of intermittent issue.

Also, the times shown on the posts are now Central time for me even though my settings specify Eastern time.

Could the forum have a poltergeist? :roflol:

Edited by XD Niner

I've entered and exited the forum several times since my last post about the VNC and it does (tentatively, she said, with extreme caution) seems to be working. I'm keeping my fingers crossed........ :ph34r:

Big Thanks to Brian for all his help. :bow:

I really don't see any difference in the search. For example do a search on CM 09-08 it's not even in the results and it's on the first page in the classifiers.Which is about the same thing I found in the old one.

I did a search on "CM 09-08" and this post was the first thing that popped up

If you do a search on CM 09-08 it will show you everything that has either CM or 09-08 or both

To search for a specific string you need to put it in double quotes.

From this post on, only posts that include:

1. If you post that it's not working, please include include in your post that your settings are set to "show me all content that I have not read."
  2. Include that after you set the setting to "show me all new content that I have not read," that you clicked the "Delete my cookies" link at the very bottom of the forums home page.
  3. Please don't just say "it isn't working," provide as many details as you can.

... will be cosidered.

Note: New content is updated every 15 minutes. So if you post somewhere, it may not appear in VNC until 15 minutes later.

Complete, accurate feedback is the only we are going to track this down.

Thanks,

be

I'm set to show me all content that I have not read, and it is working accurately and cosistently for me.

OK: After reading Brian's last post, I

1) Set my settings as specified.

2) Deleted cookies

3) logged in again :rolleyes:

4) Clicked VNC. As expected, 1000 or so (posts made that I have never read - since I never "mark board as read" and have been relying on "since my last login" on VNC.

5) Marked board as read.

6) Waited and did other stuff

7) Logged in. VNC. Got 2 pages. Good stuff so far. Read a few, skipped a bunch, made a post or two.

Wanted to check the skipped ones - and anything that came up after I last looked. I do that usually before logging out to see if anything was posted while I was reading/posting.

So I clicked "VNC" again. Now no new posts. :huh:

What happened to all the ones from the first time that I didn't read, or that were posted while I was reading/posting?

Hope that makes sense. Don't know if that's a bug or if that's how it works with changing the setting.

Edited by Surge

RE Surge's post: Same thing happened to me a few times.

Moreover, I just entered the forum and clicked VNC and it came up empty (after performing normally a handful of times this afternoon). Again, results and returns have just shown INCONSISTENT behaviour, which is difficult to explain (per the new instructions on what will be considered valid reports). Apologies if this report is too vague. The very behaviour of the feature itself is, at this time, vague unpredictabl, hard-to-define. But I feel like I have to report what IS happening from my terminal.

Thanks!

From this post on, only posts that include:

1. If you post that it's not working, please include include in your post that your settings are set to "show me all content that I have not read."
  2. Include that after you set the setting to "show me all new content that I have not read," that you clicked the "Delete my cookies" link at the very bottom of the forums home page.
  3. Please don't just say "it isn't working," provide as many details as you can.

... will be cosidered.

Note: New content is updated every 15 minutes. So if you post somewhere, it may not appear in VNC until 15 minutes later.

Complete, accurate feedback is the only we are going to track this down.

Thanks,

be

I'm set to show me all content that I have not read, and it is working accurately and cosistently for me.

Not working here after following post.

Haven't been on since this AM and get nothing new in VNC.

IE8

Butch

**Ive done what is in Brians thread**

VNC has been working (aka, pulling posts for me) since the upgrade for the most part. It is not pulling things in correct order and is missing posts.

I click VNC, Page 1 shows 1 post from 11:09PM and the next post is 8:** pm, down the page to 1am today. Then page 2, shows a post at 11:**pm, and down the page very randomly to 1am something again. Its not putting the new content in a predictable order.

I've made the settings change to "show me all content that I have not read." Then I clicked the "Delete my cookies" link. After that I logged in and hit VNC. When VNC came up it only displayed 8 new posts since 1300 today.

VNC is the only efficient way I know how to surf this forum - can't imagine having enough time to go to each subtopic individually and check new content that way.

Looking at the posts here, it seems many others are having the same issue. If anyone has this "figured out", please let the rest of us know. Failing that, Brian - please consider reverting back to the legacy system until this new one can be debugged. I'm going through VNC withdrawals :sick:

As of right now, VNC appears to be working OK. Keeping my fingers crossed.

ETA #2 - Spoke too soon, it's screwing up again (only showing a handfull of posts since early yesterday).

Edited by Fullauto_Shooter

Hey Fullauto - I get you. I just changed to "since I was last logged in" and changed the time setting to DST on now -not the DST automatic setting and for a while the VNC was working like it used to. Try that and see what you get. I have done all the suggestions previously. Thanks Brian and everybody. Software can be challenging.

IE8. Set to show new content I have not read.

Got about four pages of new content. Did not mark "all read".

Went back and forth between the main page and VNC a couple of times without issue, then VNC returned "no new content", but I can still see new content on the main page.

VNC worked seamlessly and updated instantaneously before the "upgrade".

First log in of the day.

Windows 7, Google Chrome And IE8. Set to show new content I have not read.

Cookies deleted.

Received "no new content" in both My Content and VNC.

Edited by Jman