Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

View New Content

Steve J

Sorry, Brian. Still not working. Logged out, 'cached out', closed browser, logged back in, same result.

What browser and version?

Can you try a different browser.

And thanks for the details.

be

IE8

Ok, I just got 4 results. There are obviously many more new posts, but at least I'm getting results now.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay guys... have a work around and a hint for the tech geeks at IPB... it's a java issue. In you browser, disable java scripts, this should let you view new content and it explain why some work and not as some users don't have it enabled.

Uhhhh, good one. Yea that part was really messing with my head.

Thanks,

be

Except in the period where it was working, then stopped working, then sort of started working again... maybe, my Java scripts setting did not change, so that can't be the problem. I wouldn't think anyway.

ETA: I mentioned that I finally got 4 results in IE8. I marked them all read. Now I'm getting "no new content" again, yet I can clearly see new content on the main page.

Edited by Steve J

I never normally click VNC, so it's kind of new for me. But even though it returns results, it doesn't appear to return them all. Because I just clicked it and the past post was from 7:58 PM.

be

Depending on your settings, VNC will either return all the posts since you last visited the site, or all the posts that you have not read.

So when I click on VNC I used to get a list of all the posts that have been made that I have not read. Once I have perused the ones I am interested in, I hit the Mark all forums as read button. If I hit VNC immediately afterwards I should see no new content but the moment someone updates something then the next VNC will show it.

Disabling Java/JavaScript did not work for me in Safari and caused the drop down menu under my user-name to remain on the screen.

Same here. But VNC is working at the moment.

Chrome btw

Depending on your settings, VNC will either return all the posts since you last visited the site, or all the posts that you have not read.

How does it know when you last visited the site if you are always loged in? Or in other words, do you have to sign out for it to work?

I'm out for the night; will check back tomorrow.

be

It knows from the cookies. I don't have to sign out... I just came back into the forum and VNC worked.... I wonder if there is a time limit set somewhere. I seem to recall a timeout value of 15 minutes somewhere, and it was changed to zero to make sure the VNC was working... I'll search around and see if I can find it.

How does it know when you last visited the site if you are always loged in? Or in other words, do you have to sign out for it to work?

I'm out for the night; will check back tomorrow.

be

Every time you look at anything your cookie is updated, when you click VNC it looks at the last time your cookie was updated and compares the time stamp to all other server time stamps and then knows what to display.At least that seems logical...

Edited by JThompson

Strange - my VNC was working great yesterday evening but isn't working now. When I clicked VNC earlier this AM, it showed 5 new posts since last night (there should obviously be more than than). I closed my brower and reopened it and there was a page and a half of new content - that's more like it. Then I closed my browser and reopened again - back to only 5 new posts. Tried several more times and it kept returning the same handful of new posts.

ETA: Seems to be working OK now.

Edited by Fullauto_Shooter