Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

View New Content

Steve J

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian

Seems to be working better for me, I notice a delay when returning the the VNC results (not hitting VNC again, just the Back button).

Using Safari 5.0.1

I'm not quite following you Paul?

be

I hit VNC

Pick a topic and read it

Hit the back button and it was taking a long time to get to the results page... It seems much faster now, so perhaps it was a network issue at my end.

I'll keep playing and see if it occurs again.

Working like a champ Brian... it goes back to my old standbys... if it isn't broke, leave it alone. lol Really, I never had issues with the old one and it worked. You had to use "advanced search" but the 15 mins is a deal breaker for me. If I had a vote, I'd say leave it like it was as long as there is no securtiy issues related directly to the search, keep the old one.

Thanks for your effort...

JT

EDIT: BTW I have zero lag when hitting the back button or VNC now.

Edited by JThompson

Well, it's been working the last couple of days but now I'm back to "sorry, no new content". That is unless there hasn't been a single post since this morn @7:30 when I last looked at it & read all the new content. That is what I get for sneaking out of work & trying to surf a little bit when I should be working. hahaha. Oh well, it will all work out, eventually.

MLM

No new posts.:wacko:

Okay, were "starting over." Today I made a change, as per IP's advice, that should have fixed it.

So again

From this post on, only posts that include answers to:

1. If you post that it's not working, please include include in your post that your settings are set to "show me all content that I have not read."
  2. Include that after you set the setting to "show me all new content that I have not read," that you clicked the "Delete my cookies" link at the very bottom of the forums home page.
  3. Please don't just say "it isn't working," provide as many details as you can.

... will be cosidered.

Note: New content is updated every 15 minutes. So if you post somewhere, it may not appear in VNC until 15 minutes later.

Thanks,

be

Settings correct (see posts 92 and 126)

No change in my settings since post 138 and this post.

New posts are back as of my LAST login, 10AM. This is what should have come up when I looked last time (post 138)

Hope this helps.

"By intermittant do you mean that you don't get any results at all?" (benos)

Sometimes I'll enter the forum, click on VNC and the new posts WILL pop up. Sometimes I'll enter the forum and click on VNC and NO new posts (at all) will pop up.

Or sometimes I'll click on VNC, select a new post, go to the new post, read the post then click on VNC again and, voila!, NO NEW POSTS--even though just moments before, VNC had returned, say, three or four pages of new posts.

Then perhaps I'll go manually to a topic, access a thread and view a few posts. Then I'll intentionally click on VNC and SOMETIMES it'll return all the new posts--and sometimes it will still indicate NO NEW POSTS even though we know there are dozens.

It's INTERMITTENT. Which is sometimes the hardest symptom to diagnose. :wacko:

I have a thread going in IP's forums on this, and I've also reported in their Bug Tracker.

A bit ago, I Checked VNC, set to Traditional search, and there was an hour and 15 minutes between the first and second topic times. With over 200 members online... there's no way someone didn't post for that length of time. So I set it to Sphinx, and clicked VNC, and the results were as expected - a new Topic about every minute or two.

Then I set it back to Traditional, and the VNC results made sense, a post every minute or two.

So there is definitely and intermittant bug.

It seems ad if most members report that it works better set to Traditional. But for me it doesn't, Sphinx works best.

Unfortunately, I'm leaving town tomorrow AM, so depending on time available and internet access, I may not be able to do much more on this until next week.

be

Brian, you have done alot! Have fun on your vacation (if that is what it is!). We will survive until further corrections have been made!

PS. Still intermittent for me as well, but much better. The intermittentcy (is that a word?) seems to be few and far between now.

So we can gather some info on this before I have to leave for the rest of the week, let's do a test.

I'm going to start a new thread titled "View New Content / Sphinx" and set the search to Sphinx, and let it run like that overnight.

So please test VNC and post in that thread if VNC works for you or not.

Also please note in your post if no Topics are returned, or if it doesn't look like they all were returned, as oppossed to saying "it's not working".

Then before I leave tomorrow morning, I'll start a new Topic called "View New Content / Traditional" - then please test VNC and post the same as above.

be

WTF? I knew I should have not posted in this thread! I just clicked on it and NOTHING! If it were not so frustrating it would be hilarious! From now on, "No comment on No New Content"! is my policy. :goof:

"WTF? I knew I should have not posted in this thread! I just clicked on it and NOTHING! If it were not so frustrating it would be hilarious! From now on, "No comment on No New Content"! is my policy." :goof:

Well, just imagine how tired BRIAN is of all this...!... :rolleyes: