Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm jam's in XDM

J_Clan

I'm having trouble keeping my son's new XDM from jamming with our reloads. Using 4.6gr Win. WSF behind 124gr Berry's plated bullet & Remington 1 1/2 primers in mixed brass with an AOL of 1.107". This worked like a champ the first couple of times we competed and now has begun jamming. This same load works flawlessly in my Browning Hi-power.

Any ideas...?

Chamber check all of your ammo before a match. Once you identify the rounds that won't fit in the gun, you can try to diagnose your problem better.

"Jams" is not really a symptom. Diagnosing your actual problem will require a more specific symptom.

I've heard that the XDM has a really short magazine, but I'd say your rounds are already on the short side for the caliber so that's not likely to be the problem. After identifying the rounds that don't fit in your chamber, I'd check the bullet diameter and check your crimp to make sure that it's knocking all of the "bell" out of the case.

Earlier this year, I had about 5 bullets that were oversized by .005" or so. This resulted in jams in which I thought my ammo was too long. It turned out that the bullets were large enough that they hit the rifling even at normal lengths. Once I identified and removed those rounds from my ammo stash, I haven't had any more problems.

Point being--it may not be you, your die settings, or even a problem with your gun. It might be a problem with your components. Once you have the "offending" rounds in hand, you'll be in a better position to make a more through analysis.

Edited by twodownzero

No, I have not/do not case gage or chamber check my ammo. Can you be a bit more specific about chamber checking? I have done quite a lot of reloading, but most of it for revolvers which are not very fussy. As I'm learning, auto's a way more picky about what they digest. Do either of you know anything to look for specifically with regards to the XDM? as I say, this same ammo work without a hitch in my Hi-Power.

Thanks for your willingness to help,

- Todd

No, I have not/do not case gage or chamber check my ammo. Can you be a bit more specific about chamber checking? I have done quite a lot of reloading, but most of it for revolvers which are not very fussy. As I'm learning, auto's a way more picky about what they digest. Do either of you know anything to look for specifically with regards to the XDM? as I say, this same ammo work without a hitch in my Hi-Power.

Thanks for your willingness to help,

- Todd

Here's a case gauge: Case Gauge

Case gauges are used to check the sizing of the brass. It is to insure that the brass and bullet will seat properly in the chamber of the barrel. The perfect case gauge can be the barrel, which is called chamber checking. This can be an issue with XDM's. My brass has to be case gauged prior to using it in my XDM or my SP01 Shadow. The brass needs to be properly resized if it's been fired through a Glock or HK or the similar. If this is the issue with your brass and gun then a Lee "U" Die or a full length sizing die can solve your problem.

jasmap,

Since I use all 'range' brass, who knows what it may have been shot through. So the idea would be to drop every loaded round into either a case gage or the actuall gun barrell before a match? That is not too difficult an endeavor while sitting down relaxing. I use a Dillon SDB, so I don't have the luxury of a Lee "U" die at this point.

Would you mind sharing some of your XDM loads? We have been using the Berry's plated bullets due to cost. Do you have any other suggestions that are reasonable? We have used the 124's exclusively thus far, but just picked up some 147's. I'm hearing they recoil is easier to manage with a heavier bullet/fast powder.

Your thoughts?

J, I have been shooting and reloading for my XDM 9mm for about six months. I have only put about 800 rounds through mine and never had a jam that I can remember.

My shooting buddy bought his a few months before me and sent it back to SA twice before it would fire more than three rounds of factory ammo without jamming. Several times during a match, he had to cycle the slide for every round.They replaced the whole top end first time and we don't know what they did the second time because they said they couldn't find anything wrong but it came back running perfectly. So it may not be your ammo.

I load a HSM Custom Plated 124 round nose bullet that I bought from Midway on Sale. I use 4.3 of W231 and OAL of 1.142. I use federal primers.

I use any salvageable case I pick up at the range. I clean and inspect and load them up. I gauge a couple of my loaded rounds but with my Lee die set I have discovered no tight rounds.

It has been a really fun, accurate and reliable gun for me and I hope you get yours figured out.

Edited by oldfrank

I honestly believe that 9mm is the fussiest caliber to load for. Since you are coming from loading for revolvers, I suggest you take a look at the steps that need to be performed differently between the two. The first issue I had with 9mm was with taper crimping the cases as the final step. I had a lot of trouble with failures to feed, which I finally found were caused by my trying to seat the bullet & crimp at the same time. It works with revolvers, but with autoloaders the two steps must be performed separately. Overall length is also a common issue that doesn't really affect you with a revolver. There has already been much said about this, so I won't repeat it. I don't believe bullet profile is causing the issue, but it is worth mentioning. Try another brand of bullets if it gets really frustrating. My XD is almost totally omnivorous, as have been almost every one I've encountered, but they don't seem to like overly short bullet profiles.

The XDm doesnt have a 'short' magazine seeing that you can use factory ammo that is loaded to 1.15 OAL or longer

but yeah you need to be specific about what kind of malfunctions the gun is having, then it is easier to tell you what is going wrong.

You were asking for loads that work. This is a load i've used for quite a while that works just fine. I am using a 14lb recoil spring but it would work fine with an 18lb spring too.

124g Rainier Ballistics Round Nose FMJs

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=1050308877

OR 124g Remmington FMJ's

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=1601374003

1.135 OAL with 4.4g Titegroup

I dont really crimp my rounds too much, i just dont bell the case that much in the first place.

Edited by Field

I have used both of the following in my XDm 9. Work perfectly.

115gr FMJ

W231 powder, 4.9gr

OAL 1.15"

124gr FMJ

W231 powder, 4.1gr

OAL 1.125"

All assorted brass I pick up at ranges.

Remember SAMMI spec for 9mm is 1.169" so you seem to be loading pretty short. Is that length prescribed for your recipe or are you just guessing? 9mm case is not that big, especially with a bulky powder. Be careful of too short, can cause pressure to increase rapdily.

jasmap,

Since I use all 'range' brass, who knows what it may have been shot through. So the idea would be to drop every loaded round into either a case gage or the actuall gun barrell before a match? That is not too difficult an endeavor while sitting down relaxing. I use a Dillon SDB, so I don't have the luxury of a Lee "U" die at this point.

Would you mind sharing some of your XDM loads? We have been using the Berry's plated bullets due to cost. Do you have any other suggestions that are reasonable? We have used the 124's exclusively thus far, but just picked up some 147's. I'm hearing they recoil is easier to manage with a heavier bullet/fast powder.

Your thoughts?

Hey J. The type of malfunction you are having can determine an answer or answers for a fix, so let us know when you get a chance.

As for the case gauge, I case gauge every round for matches and I case gauge about 25% of my practice ammo. Like I mentioned before, you have the perfect case gauge already, your barrel.

I wouldn't say change dies yet but with 9mm so finicky it couldn't hurt. This may not be your issue though.

For the XDM I was running a 124 grn Montana Gold JHP bullet over 4.3 grains of N320 with an OAL of 1.130. I recently switched over to a 147 grain bullet run over 3.6 grains of N320. I am testing out the 147 grn Black Bullets Int., the 147 grn Montana Gold, and the Precision Delta 147 grn FMJ's. So far I am having great luck with the MG's and the Precision Delta's. I really like the Black Bullets Int. bullet but I am getting a few keyholes here and there. That could be a powder issue or a OAL issue or maybe even something else. I like both the 124 grain load and the 147 load. Test both bullet sizes and just decide from personal feel.

I had horrible luck with accuracy using Berry's bullets in my XDM but that doesn't mean the bullets are bad, it just means my XDM didn't shoot them well. It shoots everything else I've fed it but it just doesn't like plated bullets.

If the problem is not brass issues or magazine issues then I HIGHLY reccomend taking your XDM up to Marty at Accuracy Speaks at Rio Salado. I can guarantee you he knows how to doll up an XDM and it will run like a top. His XDM trigger jobs are second to none......just ask Rob Leatham.

I'm in Gilbert also so let me know if I can help with anything local.

Edited by jasmap

The problem my son is having is the bullet comes loose from the 'new' round as it is chambered, causing the cartridge to jam against the unseated bullet. Further research has led me to believe that I may be seating the bullet too deeply so that it does not come to rest near enough to the rifling in the barrel? This is causing the bullet to come un-seated once the rim comes into contact with the breach end of the barrel. Basically, there is nothing there to keep the bullet from slidind forward as it comes to a sudden stop. Does this sound accurate?

I suppose another solution would be to crimp a bit tighter, which I have been trying to avoid due to bullet deformation and for fear of increasing pressure.

Anyway, we are off to shoot tomorrow night on some fine-tuned rounds that have all been 'chamber checked'. I will let you know the results.

Thanks again to everyone for your input...

The problem my son is having is the bullet comes loose from the 'new' round as it is chambered, causing the cartridge to jam against the unseated bullet. Further research has led me to believe that I may be seating the bullet too deeply so that it does not come to rest near enough to the rifling in the barrel? This is causing the bullet to come un-seated once the rim comes into contact with the breach end of the barrel. Basically, there is nothing there to keep the bullet from slidind forward as it comes to a sudden stop. Does this sound accurate?

I suppose another solution would be to crimp a bit tighter, which I have been trying to avoid due to bullet deformation and for fear of increasing pressure.

Anyway, we are off to shoot tomorrow night on some fine-tuned rounds that have all been 'chamber checked'. I will let you know the results.

Thanks again to everyone for your input...

If you are going to Tuesday Night Steel see if Polle, the stats lady, can point out an experienced re-loader/shooter to check out the rounds for you. It could save you some trouble figuring out the problem and it might even save your pistol and hands.

-ld

As promised, here are the results from my some new loads my son used last night at Tuesday Night Steel. On another thread, a couple of proven XDM recipe's were suggested that used Berry's 124gr round nose. All I could find where 124 hollow base flat nose, so I loaded one round to the suggested 1.150" OAL and chamber checked it. It would not slide fully into the chamber as compared to a factory jacketed hollow point round. I then loaded a 115gr round nose to the same OAL and this round slid completely into the chamber just like the factory round. It appears that XDM's (at least my son's) like round nose bullet profiles much better than flat nose. Once exception may be if they are loaded very short, but we did not have success at short OAL's either.

So, having Berry's 115gr round nose on hand, I loaded up 200 using 5.0grs WSF to an OAL of 1.167" (recipe from my Speer manual) and they fired flawlessly! So it was a good night...

Thank you all again for your help in diagnosing this issue.

P.S. I loaded up some trial rounds using Berry's 147gr round nose in front of 3.0grs Solo 1000 to an OAL of 1.150" which also performed perfectly. He loved this load saying it hand significantly reduced recoil.

147gr bullets will produce less snappy recoil. Thats why competitiors choose them.

I use 147 Zero or Montana at OAL 1.14

J33716,

Were do you buy your bullets? I've not found a place with reasonable prices, that's why I've been using the Berryr's.