Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Enos Forum Blocked At Work!!

Bucky

The base blocked this Forum as well as USPSA a few weeks ago.

I managed to get USPSA back (I spun it as match announcements directly pertaining to the Goodfellow AFB Shooting Team), but failed on this forum. Sigh.

Like I have a job anyway!

Alex

"Mature" content.

They blocked some gun manufacturer websites too. I suspect that an overzealous little SSgt in the backbone shop is a tad antigun. Yeah, we have screaming liberals in Texas...and in the military...sigh.

Alex

"Mature" content.

They blocked some gun manufacturer websites too.  I suspect that an overzealous little SSgt in the backbone shop is a tad antigun.  Yeah, we have screaming liberals in Texas...and in the military...sigh.

Alex

Yeah, It would be a shame for all the minors on base with access to the militaries computers to be exposed to all this mature content.

That really bites that they would block any sites that are firearm related.

Maybe you could tell them that this site holds valuable secrets that would enable the AFB(assuming this means air force) shooting team to beat the Armies team. :D

The block message says they are blocking it because it's a forum. Funny thing though, Jim Shanahan's custom grips site used to be blocked for "Sexually Explicit Material". Just how was he shaping those grips??? :P Haven't tried his new URL yet.

I work on a military post and the mil server also blocks these forums. Not sure why? I think it is because the it is considered a "chat" type address. I am able to access other BBS's, just not this one. When the block message comes up it mention the Army AKO site forums so I am assuming it is blocked because of that.

Neal in AZ

The BE forum is not blocked but the ITS department added a filter that blocks most shooting related pages. ITS also added a "violence filter" so my e-mails get bumped to administration. If the word shoot, gun, etc. shows up a certain number of times the content of the e-mail is deemed violent.

Yeah a few weeks ago the SmartFilter people decided that any vaguely gun-related site was automatically "mature". I keep pestering them with reclassification requests to "sports", but I'm pretty sure they ignore me.

Wierd thing--I can't get to www.brianenos.com ("Mature"), but I can get here. Probably won't be long now..

Oh man...I would be going OUT of my way to make sure that those words got used in every single email...for innocent reasons though. Annoy the hell out of the administration for awhile and the filter will go byebye.

Things like "Well shoot, that son of a gun just won't work. Guess I wil l have to hunt around for a replacement." aren't hard to work into emails and they can't do a ding dang thing about it. And I would make sure that my signature line, had a nice quote from someone like TR with the choice words in it as well.

BE's site got blocked at my place of employment last year. I did get a good clue as to why though. The message I received said access was denied because of the word "Weapons". Funny, I can access USPSA's site but not BE's or ICORE's. It may be that if gun related websites can cut down on the usage of the word "weapons" their sites might be less restricted.

I have found a workaround however. I can go directly to the BE's forums but not BE's home page. You all might try bookmarking the forums page directly if your having problems with censors.

Paul

Good GOD, I read some of these and wonder when comrad Stalin started taking over the U.S. work place. I can understand employers not wanting people to spend all day just chatting online, but I use some online forums to research what people think about certain products I sell. This is a grreat way to see how people REALLY feel about things, and not what the manufacturer wants you to think. I guess about the only advantage I can think of about owning your own business is that I can surf any site I want.

It's their network and their time, I guess they can do as they see fit. I suppose you all know that recreational Internet use in the work place costs employers millions of dollars annually.

As for bugging the administration and coming up with work arounds, you must have some very tolerant network administrators. In some places of employment playing that kind of a game will lead to dismissal.

I think Ron has a pretty good point, when my work blocked all " non work related " internet access, I went back to brass prep activities to avoid problems.

Sometimes I even uniform primer pockets on rifle brass, after my nap.

Travis F.

I understand Ron's comment about recreational internet activity costing businesses $$$. We did have a problem at the office and that is part of the reason for the monitoring. However, as a professional I expect to have some deference. I was looking at items while eating lunch at my desk. By eating at my desk and taking a mental break I was being more effecient than going out for an hour lunch. It is just the "big brother" issue that I am not be trusted by my employer.