Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

anybody been in the military?

so anyways i worked this maintenance job at this window factory for a couple years and got fired yesterday i mean not really because i was a stupid/bad worker or anything its just i had a few saftey violations like i jumped over this fence and i got my thumb crumped in some machine when we were working on it..

then there was some machine that i put the wrong kind of lubricant in the resevoir but i think my boss overreacted on the whole thing because we were comparing 15w-40 to 15w-30 motor oil i mean come on. :yawn:

then the icing on the cake i think was last week when this one machine was down and we had to have an external person come to help diagnose the problem. this machine was on my monthly PM list. the nature of the breakdown wasnt really anything that my PM list covered it but the vice president was there and he asked me when was the last time i serviced this machine...i said...'oh i dont know....a couple months ago maybe?'' :ph34r:

LOL

then i told him that ''the thing ran like a tank and it was better that i just let the thing run and keep my grubby hands off it''

so then im pretty sure that prompted them to look at the PMs i did with the equipment and they saw that some of the equipment was being serviced at proper intervals.. so yeah and that was that.

i really wasnt too butt hurt about it, last week i checked my heartrate and blood pressure at Fred Myers and it was 120/70bp and 45bpm heartrate. I checked it again after i got fired and it was exactly the same. ha. i couldnt have really imagined working that job for years and years anyways i had some nights where i wondered if being so hard bored killed any of my brain cells. maintenance is kind of an odd job. it IS good that i got to work this kind of job though because it increased my mechanical knowledge and skills to a good extent.

well today i went to the recruiting office and did a mock asvab and got all the papers from them i needed to get set up to go to the MEPS place in Spokane. I mean i like shooting guns, working out , running around and ive had a couple people ask me if ive been in the military before this i figure this is a good avenue for me. i

i have a few months worth of money in the bank and if everything goes well i will probably get shipped away somewhere in october or november.

if any of you guys have been in the army/navy/marines/airforce/ whatever, tell me what you thought of the whole thing.

thanks

You should probably stick to fast food resturants.

As a guy with 24 years of service and counting, I concur.

If you want my brutally honest opinion - after reading your post above, it doesn't sound like you possess the maturity to serve in a military currently at war on two fronts. Based on your cavalier attitude in the post above, I wouldn't want to bet my life on you successfully servicing a UAH or MRAP that I was going to use to patrol MSR TAMPA.

Not trying to be a dick, just being honest with you.

Edited by Fullauto_Shooter

Here's my two dollars worth of advice to you.

The two wars we have are winding down. You may or may not get to see any combat, and if you do, well then there's always your training to fall back on, you'd probably be okay. But I'm not making any guarantees.

Attention to detail is where it's at in the military. Treat that as the number one priority in all that you do and you will go far. You need to also take the initiative and push yourself when noone else will. You need to lead by example. You need to listen. You need to speak up when it's proper, and shut your pie hole when you have nothing to contribute.

You need to at ease and make way!

If you want to be a ground pounder, don't if you think that is the easy MOS, and you can hide there and do your time. There are very few jobs like that in the military. People who have the passing time attitude in the combat arms are usually fingered for the worst duties to break them and force them to quit 'cause noone likes a shi*bird in their unit. They will let you know it.

Your attitude needs to be that of a hard charging, thinking, meticulous, agressive, knowledgable, contributing member of your unit.

If your fellow airmen/soldiers/marines/sailors think of you as a slacker, they will make your life miserable. You need to be able to do what those around you do and better. That is the way of most units. They will constantly pitt you and your teammates against eachother in all the things that you do so as to inject healthy rivalry into the ranks. Leadership is looking for those that will fill their shoes as they move up in rank. (Good ones anyway)

Then you might get into a unit that has poor morale,and discipline. Will you just fall into step with those around you, or keep your military bearing and shine like you should? Sometimes that is when you will really find the going rough, when you have to be your own shoulder to lean on because your unit is poorly trained, or lead. Times like these will come up, and you will have to do things or go places in your mind and pull yourself up to do things you probably never thought you could.

I have seen people in my family go through the military and really mature. I have seen others do their minimum amount of time, and wondered to myself how they managed to stay in the service the whole time without getting discharged. It will change you, but how much and in what way is up to you.

You will get out as much as you put in.

I would suggest though that you find out the minimum PT requirements that they have for your age brackett, and try and double everything and run the run as well as you can. (yeah, start running , like tomorrow) It will make basic less stressful if you are really fit and used to the front leaning rest position. Cruches, sit-ups, pull-ups, rope climbing, running, dips, get used to doing them, and you will be way ahead of the crowd in basic. Learn your displays, your weapons, listen in classes, stay awake, eat and sleep when and where you are able, and you will learn to probably like it. Get all namby pamby, and feeling sorry for yourself, and you might as well just quit. It would be easier on you and those around you.

JZ

Well, okay, I'm just going to let 'er fly.

The military as I experienced it (USAF) is all about process, procedure, checklists, repeatability. There's gotta be a huge difference between USAF mainframe computer operations and USA battlefield, sure. But, the military is all about accountability to the public, appearances and 'having it's shit together'. To put it the way a USAF General officer put it to ME when I screwed up is as follows: "What would happen to us if what you did surfaced on the front page of the local newspaper?" The end of my military career happened when I failed to think about upholding the image of accountability to the taxpayer. It's an accountabilith the DoD holds very, very dear.

So...if you think 'right intentions' trumps 'right image', you're just dead wrong.

But, if you're willing to put yourself in a position where accountability (taking it in the hind end even when you think you're not to blame) and responsibility (you're the only person that gets blamed when what you said you'd do didnt' get done) fall on YOU, then yup...the military is for you.

Get one thing right up front: you will not find too many outfits that will reward you more sincerely nor punish you more harshly for your lack of accountability or credibility than the military. This is an organization where, even in totally non-combat units, you take it for your comrades, and no excuses. What I mean, specifically, is this...your attitude and responses given in your post would, were you an aircraft maintenance tech, get you basically a one-way ticket to hell on Earth. The military will instill a sense of Mission, or, you will be pounded into a useless pulp.

You can do this, and it IS the right job. But don't for a minute think anyone will give you an inch or make anything easy for you. You will find, much to your surprise, that the military is populated with what may be the most demanding, disciplined and dedicated (to mission) group of folks you will will ever run into. And in my experience, it's led by the best leaders you will find anywhere.

You will meet some of the smartest folks around, you will be challenged, you will be pushed to your breaking point. You will not be allowed to slack. You will sometimes wish you had not joined, but you will go to your grave with your military experience being among the fondest and proudest of your life's experiences.

It is also a bureaucracy. You will see waste, greed, careerism and dishonestly. The military is populated with people. It's a cross-section of our society, and it is filled with all the politics you can possibly imagine. You will find that people are promoted not only on their credentials and capacity, but on their affinity with the promoters. Jeeeez...just like real life. It's not a magic land where everything works like it should...it's a wasteland of political pukes who couldn't care less about arming aircraft and who care more about funding their own programs. Again, these tough waters are just like those in 'real life'...so don't expect to join a huge bureacracy and then somehow magically avoid all the evils of bureaucracy. This ain't no party, this ain't no foolin' around.

Get over it. My recommendation is this: join with the intent of success. DO NOT JOIN thinking "Uh, lemee try this." That's the cool thing about joining the military--you don't get a 'toe in the water' test. You're in, or you're not int. And let me tell you...the 4 years are yours to leverage to your advantage, or they are yours to build a steel cage of pain around yourself. With a good attitude, it's a lovely opportunity. Besides the 'opportunity', thers the brotherhood of service you will take with you wherever you go, for your life. We all know something deep inside that others don't...and it's important to us. It IS a comraderie, an espris de corps that you cannot know nless you have served.

If you choose to serve, serve honorably. Lots of lives truly do depend on this.

Holy crap, I just now read Jimmy's comments above. I bow before him. Yes. Read what he has said, list and learn. He said much of what I tried to say about the culture: you will learn to 'be there' for your fellows, or you will die a useless unrespected puke. I think Jimmy said it differently...but these are the basics.

Edited by Bongo Boy

if any of you guys have been in the army/navy/marines/airforce/ whatever, tell me what you thought of the whole thing.

thanks

Personally, I feel that my time in the Marine Corps was awesome. I found the phrase, "you get out of it what you put into it" to be very accurate. Here are a few things I learned in the Corps... if these make sense to you, then maybe joining the military could be a really good option for you.

Military service is not a job. It is a calling.

You can't be in this for the money. No amount of money is worth what you will put up with. You better have a good reason for being here.

Accomplish the mission and take care of your people. If you do this, everything else seems to fall into place.

Doing anything worthwhile involves risk and sacrifice.

Know the difference between right and wrong. You will be tested.

Do the right thing even if no one is looking. Especially then.

It really sucks when someone you know gets recalled to heaven early.

Life isn't fair. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be fair.

The two wars we have are winding down.

JZ

Last time I checked we're still deploying on two fronts...and Afghan forces claim to be ready to take over soon...as in 2014 :wacko:

I don't know where you're talking about...but for the units i'm around, the ones who continually put boot to @$$ for this country, there is no hint of winding down.

--Lanzo

If you are a mentally morally and physically qualified man You have a duty as an American Citizen to do at least one tour in the Armed services. Aside from your duty, you can pick up alot of benefits. That said join a branch that will guarantee you a specific job skill, and pick a job that can get you a decent job when you get out.

I served for 20 years.

I read your post and my best advice is to start your own company and hire folks with your same work ethic-you'll go far.

Dave

Edited by Airedale

First off...never use the military as a "fall back". The advice above is spot on (read Jimmy Zip's post twice)

I spent 20 years in the Navy and have seen/met several individuals that came in with your thought process (at least what I can gather from what I read in your post). I can tell you that several of those individuals had a major wake up call. Some excelled and many failed.

I would suggest you not only talk to a recruiter but also seek some active duty personnel. Go to a base, ask around, but sit down and talk. Make darn sure this is the career choice you desire.

Even a 3-4 year tour can be hell if this is not for you.

If you make up your mind, and need more advice...feel free to PM me.

Good luck ! :cheers:

Man I wanted to say, "no comment"!!! But I can't.

But I just can't say what I want without probably getting banned from the forum.

The military already has it's hands full. Go elsewhere.

Man I wanted to say, "no comment"!!! But I can't.

But I just can't say what I want without probably getting banned from the forum.

The military already has it's hands full. Go elsewhere.

+1 Sarge! and I am speaking from experience, 22 years and counting, we have enough issues.

thanks

Personally, I feel that my time in the Marine Corps was awesome. I found the phrase, "you get out of it what you put into it" to be very accurate. Here are a few things I learned in the Corps... if these make sense to you, then maybe joining the military could be a really good option for you.

Military service is not a job. It is a calling.

You can't be in this for the money. No amount of money is worth what you will put up with. You better have a good reason for being here.

Accomplish the mission and take care of your people. If you do this, everything else seems to fall into place.

Doing anything worthwhile involves risk and sacrifice.

Know the difference between right and wrong. You will be tested.

Do the right thing even if no one is looking. Especially then.

It really sucks when someone you know gets recalled to heaven early.

Life isn't fair. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be fair.

\

roger, same same. The Corps is capable of forging people into something, that something is a Marine. They turn a lot of folks away & thats a great sign that would indicate you may want to consider the Corps.

I did 9 yr 11 mo and 21 days. Some of it in the all new volunteer Army. I think it will do you a lot of good. After all what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I would strongly suggest that you take this as an opportunity to learn how to do something, the military needs more than just grunts and the test will tell you what you have an appitude for and if sounds like something you might like to do go for it. I had evey opportunity including the Academy and was too young stupid and full of testostarone to take it. Looking back at it they were probably the best 10 years of my life. I think I failed the spelling test.

Edited by CocoBolo

First off...never use the military as a "fall back". The advice above is spot on (read Jimmy Zip's post twice)

+1

I got drafted in 1970 and ended up making a 20 yr career out of it. For the most part, I made my own career. If someone wants to do the same, then I say go for it.

Now, no offense intended, you may be a great guy, but if your post is accurate, you don't have the kind of work ethic that will allow you to make your own way in an all volunteer military.

On the other hand, if you really truly want to turn things around and are willing to put 110% into it, then military service can do a lot for you.

+1

I got drafted in 1970 and ended up making a 20 yr career out of it. For the most part, I made my own career. If someone wants to do the same, then I say go for it.

Now, no offense intended, you may be a great guy, but if your post is accurate, you don't have the kind of work ethic that will allow you to make your own way in an all volunteer military.

On the other hand, if you really truly want to turn things around and are willing to put 110% into it, then military service can do a lot for you.

FWIW- I think sometimes, when a guy is young, he needs to just do something. The military could very likely give him the direction he needs. I find it hardly likely, worst case, that one guy who put the wrong oil in a machine is going to somehow send our entire armed forces down the crapper. Look at the people that you influenced, who at first glance, were "birds". I had/have plenty, some stay that way but many turned out to be outstanding when given good leadership.

-Ruf

Ruffdog - If we had someone that wasn't pulling his weight and watching our backs we would send them on string patrol.

String patrol is a night operation you just tie a string to their back belt loop and send them on their way. When the string goes limp you know they found the enemy.

Now its been a few years but back when it was hard not to do the right thing and when you didn't even your buddies came down on you, so it can work.

Edited by CocoBolo

Ruffdog - If we had someone that wasn't pulling his weight and watching our backs we would send them on string patrol.

String patrol is a night operation you just tie a string to their back belt loop and send them on their way. When the string goes limp you know they found the enemy.

Now its been a few years but back when it was hard not to do the right thing and when you didn't even your buddies came down on you, so it can work.

Roger, I'm all about squarring folks away as needed. I tell ya, a lot of times the problem is people dont take the time to "un-fork" folks. BTW- Good work.

I've re-thought this.

I think go Army.

Salvation Army.

MOS-bell ringer

Maintenance-bell, one moving part

Tripod w/bucket, few moving parts.

Be.........about all that you can be.

Dave

That turned into a mountain dew out the nose moment! :roflol::bow:

That is good.

First, are your for real? If your original post is real, I'm surprised you weren't fired long ago and I'm glad you weren't working on airliners! I think you should join the military for the honor of serving, not because you need a job. I know some (maybe many) have joined and will continue to join because they have little education, no training, or otherwise see no other options, not because it was honorable but at least they did their duty.

1. Yes, I was in the USAF for 8 yrs 3 mos. First I was enlisted then completed my degree and was commissioned.

2. I was in during peace time (1982 - 1990) so no active "war" mentality. On the whole it was a good experience and I feel every able body person has a duty to serve.

3. If you really truly have the personality you described in your original post, you won't like the military. There are a metric-butt ton of regulations, procedures, processes, rules, etc, etc., etc. If you have a hard time following a PM schedule on some production machines because you think it’s not necessary, you may find yourself very unhappy. If you don't learn the lessons of discipline and team work, figure out how to follow instructions even when you don't like them, and take to hart an attitude of community with your fellow solders/sailors/marines/airmen you'll not do well. With your current attitude, if you end up in a maintenance unit, you'll probably get someone, or a bunch of someone's killed. I can see the incident report now, "a Blackhawk crashed and killed 13 soldiers: cause determined to be improper maintenance."

4. If you allow yourself to learn the lessons to be taught, you can succeed and go far. If not, well then good luck.