Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grips

Jody Waring

Is it just me or are the thin aluminum grips just way too thin? I suppose the smaller your hands are, they would be good. I bought a set and wow, my support hand hardly touched anywhere. I switched back to the rubber ones and could notice the difference immediately, filled my hands perfectly. The thick checkered ones,.. anyone here use them?

a friend uses the thicker aluminum grips.. and he really likes them, He has longer fingers, so they fit him better.

I like the thin grips..but I have short fingers, so they really help my grip.

eerw, I wanted them initially for appearances, they do look awesome in red! I have thick hands, short fingers. Maybe if I wrap them up good with tape it might be better. An aluminum grip with the profile of the rubber ones would be awesome for me. I wonder if anyone has tried Hennings small frame grips on a Shadow?

Jody, I keep trying to talk myself into buying a set of grips, either wood, aluminum, or something for my Shadow - just to say I did SOMETHING to customize it - but I just can't escape the fact that the factory rubber grips fit my hands perfectly! I hate to mess with a good thing...so I guess I'll just stay with the rubber grips for awhile.

Which grips are legal for production? The rules say the shape of the grip has to remain the same, but it appears that different CZ models come with different grips. My shadow custom came with the narrow aluminum grips, but there are other CZ modles that come with the rubber grips. Can I swap them out and still be legal? Can Tanfoglio grips be installed on a CZ and still be legal?

Which grips are legal for production? The rules say the shape of the grip has to remain the same, but it appears that different CZ models come with different grips. My shadow custom came with the narrow aluminum grips, but there are other CZ modles that come with the rubber grips. Can I swap them out and still be legal? Can Tanfoglio grips be installed on a CZ and still be legal?

My understanding is that if it is an OEM part available for a Production-approved gun, then it is legal.

I run a set of pre-B original-style grips on my Shadow. They require a slight internal alteration to clear the frame; D4-21 specifically allows "internal beveling" of grips, and generally modifications to fit parts are allowed, so I'm not worried there. (And a Pre-B CZ75 is Production-approved.)

Other guidance on grips for USPSA Production...

2008 Edition Handgun Rules:

Appendix D4 - 21 Authorized modifications

•Grips – Internal beveling. Checkering, stippling, and addition of grip tape or grip sleeves. (see Appendix E4)

Appendix D4 - 22 Specifically prohibited modifications and features

•Grips - Any addition or removal of material which changes the factory profile or adds function such as beavertail or thumb rest.

2009 Production Changes:

21.5 Grips

For semi-automatic Production guns, grip tape, grip sleeves, checkering, stippling or other texture may only be applied in the areas shown in appendix E4. Glue and grit is considered the same as stippling.

Replacement grip panels are allowed provided they do not extend below the butt of the gun to form a make-shift magwell.

NROI Rulings:

(In reference to replacing external parts on Production guns.)

Aftermarket parts are allowed but restricted to those listed in Appendix D4, any other part must be OEM, either offered on an approved model for Production or in their catalog.

(Note: Of course the above covers only USPSA, not IPSC.)

I think you're right. I read the 2008 rule book, but didn't bother checking out the 2009 production update, or looking for rulings.

It sure would be nice if all of this were in the same place.

I've ordered a set of rubber grips because I agree that the thin aluminum grips just don't provide enough contact with my hands.

I take the regular wood grips, and sand all the checkering off of them. This seems to be the best for size, fit and feel for me on my TS. I am in the process of having some blanks I made out of aluminum made into grips that will match the sanded wood ones for size and shape just for experimentation. We'll see how that works out.

I used to think the wood grips were too big, and now I don't. I just like 'em smooth, that's all. I get a good grip on wood that is unfinished. I sand them with 150 grit, and just let the oil from my hands do what it does. They're not pretty, but they sure work well. I plan on finishing off the aluminum grips by drilling them through, and chamfering the holes slightly.

JZ

• 2 weeks later...

Jody,

I know another person who uses the rubber instead of thin aluminum grips. This person also had Red thin aluminum grips which I purchased. My gun is at my FFL during my 2 week waiting period. It has rubber grips on it now and haven't tested my red grips yet.

Have you decided on a set you will use permanently? Are you considering the thick aluminum grips?

Daniel

I have been using the rubber ones, and like how the gun feels. I may experiment with the aluminum ones later, try taping them up etc.. but for now, the rubber ones are just fine, I would hate to mess with a good thing, so for now, I'll stick with them :blush: The only one issue I have had is that I have to turn the pistol to hit the release, and a couple of times I didnt turn the gun enough and failed to depress the release enough to drop the magazine, and thats my fault. Other than that, they have been great!

I also tried the thin grips. I have smaller hands and they were too thin for me. I went to some cheap wood grips and they fit fine. The rubber ones are #2. Just a thought.....If I use the wooden one for the right side (I'm a righty) and the thin aluminum grip on the left am I within the rules?

You guys tried the VZ's yet? I actually like them a lot. Before them, I was using Hogue G10's on the left side, and an AL grip on the weak side. Strange, but it worked for me.

I have a set of the Hogue G-10 grips and had to trim them pretty good to fit my pistol. I have a set of the light weight Marschall grips but I replaced them for a set I got from one of the grip makers in Thailand. They are wood clones of the thick aluminum grips without the cutouts for the grip tape. Since I shoot IDPA SSP and they were to heavy as is. I ended up trimming and sanding down the inside of the grips to lighten them up and putting grip tape on the outside. I think these grips look alot better than the aluminum grips and make the pistol handle and point better for me than before.

Jason :ph34r: