Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best grip plug for G34 gen 3 for Production?

Aircooled6racer

Hello: I did a search and as usual can't find sh!t :roflol: I am looking for the best fitting Production legal grip plug. I can't remember which one fits the frame better than the rest and is legal. It is for a G34 gen 3 that I will be getting ready for my son to shoot soon :cheers: Thanks, Eric

Always been Jentra plugs for me. However, with it I am exactly at the max permitted weight for my G34, based on my postal scale. The Jentra weighs .2 oz. IIRC.

Pulled it for Area 4 this year just to ease my mind, but the scale used there matched my postal scale exactly. Next time I'll live a little dangerously and leave it in :devil:

Curtis

Edited: 'cause I hate tipos typos!

Edited by BayouSlide

Hello: I remember one of the plugs fits the grip a little better with a nicer ramp leading into the grip. I have 2 plugs right now that are not Production legal since one is brass and sticks out and the other is plastic and sticks out just as far. I need to keep the pistol light for my son but I am thinking maybe he should shoot Limited minor since he will have more bullets to play with before a mag change :roflol: Thanks, Eric

Hello: I remember one of the plugs fits the grip a little better with a nicer ramp leading into the grip. I have 2 plugs right now that are not Production legal since one is brass and sticks out and the other is plastic and sticks out just as far. I need to keep the pistol light for my son but I am thinking maybe he should shoot Limited minor since he will have more bullets to play with before a mag change :roflol: Thanks, Eric

You are thinking of the Glockworx BCI. Nice little ramp inside.

Jentra plug works fine and weighs nothing.

I wish it weighed nothing. It still weighs enough to ALMOST put me into Open with my G34 with a steel guide rod, Dawson adjustable rear sights and TruGrip. I just have to trust all the scales at all the matches match mine. Pulling it out gives me .2 oz. of breathing room from the limit.

It's worthwhile to put your Production gun on the scale before a Level III if you had a number of part changes—capped of with such a seemingly innocuous piece of plastic. I considered drilling a couple of lightening holes in mine but couldn't figure out where to put 'em. :devil:

Curtis

Edited: 'cause I still hate tipos tiepos typos!

Edited by BayouSlide

I wish it weighed nothing. It still weighs enough to ALMOST put me into Open with my G34 with a steel guide rod, Dawson adjustable rear sights and TruGrip. I just have to trust all the scales at all the matches match mine. Pulling it out gives me .2 oz. of breathing room from the limit.

It's worthwhile to put your Production gun on the scale before a Level III if you had a number of part changes—capped of with such a seemingly innocuous piece of plastic. I considered drilling a couple of lightening holes in mine but couldn't figure out where to put 'em. :devil:

Curtis

Well, you are just living on the edge! :lol:

I have the Dawson adjustables on my G34 and the Trugrip, too.

I won't dare look at aftermarket guiderods for that exact reason.

Curtis

Well, you are just living on the edge! :lol:

I have the Dawson adjustables on my G34 and the Trugrip, too.

I won't dare look at aftermarket guiderods for that exact reason.

Yeh, the pressure was getting to me—I was afraid to add an extra drop of oil :roflol: Finally broke down completely and bought a used Edge. Will move over to Limited after Bobby at Freedom Gunworks passes his magic wand over the trigger. No more gun diets for me, dang it! :roflol:

Curtis

None of the above. The hole is there for a reason, and you may need it one day.

The "hole" i.e. the scallop at the bottom of the mag well rib (the back wall of the mag well) is there, in conjunction with the scallop at the bottom of the frontstrap, to allow a shooter to get their thumb and forefinger up into the gun if necessary to pull out a stuck mag - or rather a loaded non-drop free mag in the original magazine design. That made sense back when Glocks came equipped with non-drop free mags barely longer than the grip. Now that we have drop-free mags significantly longer than the grip, where we can get our fingers on the sides of the magazine to pull it free if need be, not so much.

• 2 weeks later...
None of the above. The hole is there for a reason, and you may need it one day.

The "hole" i.e. the scallop at the bottom of the mag well rib (the back wall of the mag well) is there, in conjunction with the scallop at the bottom of the frontstrap, to allow a shooter to get their thumb and forefinger up into the gun if necessary to pull out a stuck mag - or rather a loaded non-drop free mag in the original magazine design. That made sense back when Glocks came equipped with non-drop free mags barely longer than the grip. Now that we have drop-free mags significantly longer than the grip, where we can get our fingers on the sides of the magazine to pull it free if need be, not so much.

That's true enough, but the open cavity is also there to provide an exit/evaporation port for accumulations of condensation, water, snow, ice (remember-the Glock was originally designed for the Austrian military)and any and all other assorted grunge and particulate detrius that get worked into the gun.

If you're in an area with high-velocity sand and dirt likely to be in the operational environment, a plug makes a certain amount of sense. Another field-expedient solution related to me by a Glock exec is to simply wad up some tape in the cavity, and seal it off with a piece of masking or "100-mile-an-hour" tape at the cavity/butt bottom.

The interesting thing about the butt plug purveyers is that the argument/sales pitch for them seems concentrated on the negative-what they'll allegedly prevent, as opposed to any real articulated, demonstrated proven affirmative need for them for most of us. The one(s) with a positive feature, like the Taylor model, with their incorporated "mag chute"/window glass smasher (another LEO field-expedient useage)aren't legal in the competitions/competition divisions I'm involved in (IDPA and GSSF). I'd be somewhat interested in seeing a true objective comparison between a butt-plugged and a non-butt-plugged Glock-to date I'm unaware of any being conducted (and given that it's an inexpensive part, probably many just figure "What the heck-it can't hurt," and just buy them based on anecdotal/perceived need).

I guess if you really feel that it'll help your reloading (or help your reloading from getting screwed up), go for it-but as David Sevigny has stated in "The Glock In Competition", you're probably better off simply practicing your reloads, and spending the dollars saved on a plug on a beer after a match.

Best, Jon

Edited by JonInWA

I actually bought one (and some grip tape) just for the heck of it from Chris Paty web site after reading the thread.

1. So hey Chris, it pays to be a forum vendor

2. I dont know if it helps my reloads a ton, but it does seem to help a little and I practice my reloads virtually daily. Plus I think its kind of cool (and they arent much)

3. I do think it prevents a little of the abrasion and chewing up the plastic on the rear of the glock magwell from repeated reloads

Practice is still a production legal modification..