Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Polymer coated bullets

Julien Boit

Hi all,

The new rage in Europe and in France are painted bullets.

These are lead bullets coated with polymer paint.

Do you guys uses it in the US ?

I tried some in one of my SV, in 180 grains from Dynamic Arms, and accuracy is very good.

I haven't chronoed them for the moment, but people who did reported increased velocities compared to FMJ.

they are widely used in new zealand and australia, seem to give good accuracy.

being lead they will produce higher pressures so you will get higher velocity. back your powder off about 0.2 ish grain.

someone with very small hands holds them with his fingertips while spraying the paint on :lol:

Oh ya Small Hands small _____

fingers,,,,

I posted the question on the Cast Boolits forum,, I hope one of those folks has a good answer,, and maybe a link, of who sells this stuff and a how to apply it,,,

I cast my own bullets, and this would be great!

Depending on the manufacturer, they comes in different colours. I've shot blue ones for Dynamic Arms so far, but a Czech manufacturer called ARES make them in a wide variety of coulours, ladies can have pink bullets, guys too ;-)

From what I know, bullets are placed on a rack and spray painted. The bottom is still exposed but can be fully painted. The fully painted are more expensive of course....

Linky:

http://ammo.dynamic-arms.com/index.html

http://www.ares-gun.sk/?lang=english

I wonder if you loaded a mag with a bunch of different colors then did a few bill drills on steel if the targets would look like a Jackson Pollock painting.

I also wonder how difficult it is to clean a barrel that has seen a few thousand of those things?

Edit: Found the link to ARES bullets. Some of them look like they would be more at home in Mrs. Bat's bed side table than on my reloading bench. :surprise:

Edited by blind bat

They appear to be a type of powdercoating process. I engaged in a lenghty e-mail exchange

with both ARES and Dynamic Arms last fall through May or so of this year. Offers of

samples on their part, with none forthcoming. Offers to BUY thousands of bullets, if they

could tell me the price shipped---no joy. Frustrating, I really wanted to give some a try.

I know neither has a US distributor, apparently with good reason. Good luck--YMMV.

Edited by open17

Next thing you know kids accidentally swallowed some while you are reloading becuase they thought they were jelly bean... hahaha...

Other than that... These bullets look cool...But albeit it'll be quite a difference in cost.

I am playing with painting shotgun slugs Florescent orange,,

Just to see if I will be able to see they when I shoot them.

They, ride in a shot cup,, so no worry about, leading,

What about good old Auto paint?????????

Acrylic Enamel, Acrylic Urethane & Acrylic Lacquer

they look good,,

you can mix it and shoot it in small batches,,,,

air dry??

has anyone tried it??

• 6 months later...

BTT.. Looking for these in the USA.....

I wonder if this is similar to Bayou Bullets......?

Speaking of Bayou Bullets, I see the website says that it is closed until further notice. Any info on when they will be available again?

Speaking of Bayou Bullets, I see the website says that it is closed until further notice. Any info on when they will be available again?

I sent him an e-mail in early January and he said to check with him in early March and he may be back online. :)

I sent him an e-mail in early January and he said to check with him in early March and he may be back online. :)

Thanks for the info

• 1 year later...

I wonder how much they are going to charge to ship lead from Europe to the US.

They'd probably be better off to purchase/ship the coatings to a bullet manufacturer here and let them source out the lead. Sort of like fountain drinks at the gas station.... they get shipped the syrup, it's up to the gas station to purchase the CO2 bottles and get water plumbed in.