Trying to decide on a 1911 for CC

Revopop

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I carry a Les Baer Concealed Carry Lightweight. It's a Commander-sized pistol on a lightweight frame. I carried a Colt Combat Commander for many years but, as has been mentioned already, steel guns get heavy by the end of the day. This one runs 100%, as did my Colt, and as the name says, it's not as heavy.

• 4 weeks later...

For me it's an all steel Officers ACP that's been modified for carry in a horse hide Super Tuck Delux. I like the fact the Crossbreed holster will accomodate any of my 1911s regardless of length. With the 3.5" all steel Colt, this is a pretty comfy rig even at the end of a long day.

Good luck in your decision.

THG :cheers:

I think weight is a huge factor. I moved from my steel Colt Officers Enhanced 1911 to a Kimber Pro-Carry...in .45 ACP.

I added .5" barrel but it weighs only 20 Ozs. empty and it's been very accurate & reliable.... and it's far lighter that the Colt. A bonus is that it uses the same Wilson 47D magazines that I use for Single Stack.

I replaced all the controls so things like the mag release etc all match my competition 1911s. It has both night sights and a Crimson Trace laser grips.

Edited by MichiganShootist

What kind of Modification did you make? Pics?

For me it's an all steel Officers ACP that's been modified for carry in a horse hide Super Tuck Delux. I like the fact the Crossbreed holster will accomodate any of my 1911s regardless of length. With the 3.5" all steel Colt, this is a pretty comfy rig even at the end of a long day.

Good luck in your decision.

THG :cheers:

Super hot weather (and low threat)- STI Rogue in a Bullard tuckable holster (uber cool little 9mm)

Most of the time-Colt XSE Lt Wt Commander in .38 Super (w/Ed Brown bobtail)in Sparks VMII holster

Some of the time-STI Guardian in .45 ACP in the same Sparks VM II holster

Dave

RIght now I switch between a 5 inch and a 3.5 inch steel frame. I have been looking pretty heavy at the commander aluminum frame or the EMP. I had a chance to to shoot the emp in 9mm at a demo day and was very impressed. Felt good, trigger wasnt bad(on a factory gun) and shot it well especially for a short barrel gun and the recoil was nonexistant.

im looking at the Kimber Ultra CDP II 9mm. Does this run well? Is the small light frame harsh, even with 9mm?

Or would the Kimber Compct CDP II in 45 with about 1" more barrel be a lot better

I normally CC the SIS Pro in a Don Hume IWB single clip holster. (A CBST is in my near future) My Custom is lighter than the Pro but is more uncomfortable because of the barrel.

Any updates?

Maybe this is a little off-topic, but I've been considering replacing my HK USP .45 Tactical with a 1911. The only problem is that this gun would have to do triple-duty: carry, nightstand (so I'd like a rail for my light) and competition (USPSA, but I might give IDPA a try).

Right now I carry the USP in a BladeTech UCH, and it's not the barrel but the grip that gives me the most trouble, which is why I'm considering the slimmer 1911 frame. Realizing that no gun will perfectly fit both competition and defensive roles, could anyone make a recommendation? Budget would be whatever I can get when I finally come to grips with selling the USP (my first purchase :wub:) and gear, which (I hope) would come to around $1500.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

I carry an EMP which I had springfield do some work on. Serrate the slide, checker the front strap, raise the grip, thin the ambi safetys on.

If I had to do it over, I would have sent it to wilson and have them round butt the thing, shave the slide to remove the markings and then flush cut and bevel the slide stop.....next time.

Since 1992 I have carried a Colt Compact (Officer's ACP)which has been modified. I recently picked up a S&W Gunsite light weight commander sized gun, and I'm enamored with it.

Both carry well in a 4 1/4" size Milt Sparks Summer Special II IWB holster.

Officers005.jpg

Gunsite19114005.jpg

• 1 month later...

What I'm going to say will be considered heresy by many and will not doubt get me flamed. I have owned about 20 1911s and shot them in competition for 30+ years and believe that I have the training, skill, ability and experience to use one for CCW. But I feel that the 1911 - or any single action pistol for that matter - is not an optimum choice. Regardless of my experience I have never felt completely comfortable carrying a "cocked & locked" pistol with a short, light trigger stroke. I believe that many persons buy a 1911 simply because there was always one on the cover of their favorite gun magazine every month. Too many of them don't have the skill or training to use one.........and will never get it.I feel that a pistol with a DAO or DA/SA trigger is a better choice for most persons. I cut my shooting teeth on DA revolvers and scoff at the idea that a DAO or DA/SA pistol puts you at any kind of disadvantage in a defensive situation.

Depending on how I dress I carry either a Chiefs Special revolver, Kahr PM9 or a S&W M&P pistol. If I was going to use the 1911 platform it would be one of Para's LDA pistols.

Just my 2/100s of a $ worth.

Edited by Krag

Its just a matter of preference. I find the 1911 condition 1 just as safe or safer than say a glock. With the 1911, I have to deactivate the grip safety, deactivate the thumb safety and then pull the trigger. With a glock, Its just pull he trigger. My carry guns have a 3.5 pound trigger compated to the 5.5 pound on a glock. Have had people in carry classes concerned with the glock being carried chambered. The big thing with the 1911s is being familiar enough to operate the safety under stress. The people who shoot them alot it is just second nature to flip the safety. Someone who does not shoot them alot and dont have the muscle memory to flip that safety off would be better suited with a gun without one.

My first handgun was a Smith & Wesson Performance Center "Shorty Forty" .40S&W.

Shorty40.jpg <- Not mine, just a pic of the same model I found on the net.

It was the predecessor to the "Tactical .40." It was designed for concealed carry and was a nice gun. I never got comfortable with the double-stack grip though. It always seemed, to me, like it was printing when I carried it. And it didn't fit my smaller than average hands too well.

I decided I wanted a single-stack, and that made me take another look at 1911s. Figured that if I'm going to have fewer shots, I might as well punch a bigger hole, so I went with .45 ACP. I also became convinced that Jeff Cooper was right when he said the DA/SA was a solution to a nonexistent problem. But I wanted something small and light, thinking that the small, lightweight pistol on my belt was better than a big, heavy pistol at home on the night stand.

I bought the Kimber Ultra CDP II. It has a 3" barrel and aluminum frame. Comes with tritium night sights, front strap checkering, carry melt, ambi safety, etc. 25 ounces with an empty mag (but it's not much good with an empty mag :closedeyes: feels a lot heavier loaded). I added Crimson Trace Lasergrips. (I bought mine before Kimber made Lasergrips available on the Ultra CDP.)

DSCF1623a.jpg

I carry it in a Tucker "The Answer" IWB holster

DSCF1637a.jpg

or a Kirkpatrick Leather "Compact Under Cover" depending on how I'm dressed.

DSCF1634a.jpg

im looking at the Kimber Ultra CDP II 9mm. Does this run well? Is the small light frame harsh, even with 9mm?

Or would the Kimber Compct CDP II in 45 with about 1" more barrel be a lot better

I considered the Compact CDP II with the 4" barrel. When I'm shooting it, I wish I had the longer barrel. When I'm carrying it, I'm glad I got the smaller version. YMMV.

I've shot it in USPSA Singlestack division (without the laser). (And once in L10 just for grins.) I'm still struggling with recoil control for quick follow-up shots. (I'm slow, slow, slow.) This gun is definitely not ideal in that regard. But I shoot it about as accurately as as anyone else I've seen compete with their full-sized competition guns, lol. (I don't mean to say that some of them couldn't be as accurate as me if they were going as slow as I am. Just saying I hit what I aim at within the distances we deal with.) I use 8-round mags for competition. I broke the ejector being a little too enthusiastic with a slide-lock reload, lol, but it still ejects just fine. For carry, I use the flush-fitting 7-rounders.

Edited by mgood

It's been a while since I was on the forum, didn't know that this thread was still kicking! So here's what happened:

When I got to the big gun shop, I started having second thoughts about the VBOB. After handling it again, I really didn't like the weight, plus I'm always loathe to part with that much money. The Springfield Champion I was looking at was sold, but for $20 more they had a Kimber Pro Carry II with night sights, so I decided just to get that.

I've been carrying it for a few months now, almost daily, though I've picked up a Ruger LCR that I've carried on the really hot days this summer. I even shot a Single Stack match with it and I've had zero problems. I think I made the right choice, it's a really easy carry, and it's stone cold reliable. The match I shot with it, the recoil was definitely more noticeable, but my hits were good and splits weren't too bad. I'm totally confident in this gun.