Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best tool to pick up brass?

Jay6

I use my hands and a bucket. Some guys use the long handled pincher picker upper thingy with the little suction cup looking things on the end. The other thing I have seen is the roller cage looking thing (Brass/nut wizard)that is basically a nut picker upper. However it works best only on dirt or some other hard pack surface. It picks up gravel and wood chips just like brass.

So I stick with using my hands.

Edited by Sarge

I use my hands and a bucket. Some guys use the long handled pincher picker upper thingy with the little suction cup looking things on the end. The other thing I have seen is the roller cage looking thing (Brass/nut wizard)that is basically a nut picker upper. However it works best only on dirt or some other hard pack surface. It picks up gravel and wood chips just like brass.

So I stick with using my hands.

They all pick up gravel and wood chips, whether you buy the $49 one or the $700 one

Couple of guys at my range use this Brass Wizard

After trying theirs, I bought one myself. Works great.

I bought one of these out of "impulse" and I thought that I had wasted my money. When I finally had the chance to bring it with me to the range and try it out, I was pleasantly surprised at how well it actually works. I am very happy with my Brass Wizard and I would not hesitate to recommend it to others.

Edited by Cy Soto

a couple of people came back fromthe nationals a couple yrs back and had em, I ordered one, sincethen, its been 'damn why didnt we think of somthing like this yrs ago'???? we were, it was just onthe brass magnet type of device....seriously, the nut/brass wizard is GREAT, saves on aging knee's and backs...tho like was said before its best on hard pack dirt

The pecan picker upper works well on a smooth surface, not at all on grass, or soft surfaces, Thats why you get polar opposite reviews. It depends on where you shoot. The best method really is the old hands and a bucket.

Edited by Joe4d

if your range uses small enough pea gravel to cover the range "floors", I have found the best solution is to bring a 5 gallon bucket along and a transfer (aka flat) shovel along. scoop the rocks and brass and dump it into the bucket. then take bucket(s) home with you.

at home make a wooden frame and staple quarter inch by quarter inch or three eights by three eights wire mesh to it. dump in some rocks and brass and then shake the frame back and forth. the pea gravel drops through.

of course if the weather is nice, then just do the sifting part on the range and deposit the gravel right back where you got it from.

about the only other solution I have for you is to lay down a tarp that has been slightly modified. this works well for steel challenge type matches where the shooting is done while standing still. buy a grommet kit and add several grommets around the edge of your tarp. then weave a rope through all the grommets...in...out....in...out around the perimeter. once at the range spread out the tarp and possibly even weigh it down or stake it at the corners. once you're done shooting and the majority of the brass is on your tarp, grab the loose ends of the rope and cinch the tarp closed like a sack'a'taters.

My eight year old daughter, but you cannot have her. Unfortunately you end up with a ton of 22 shells since those are what her guns shoot so she is really drawn to them.

Randy

My wife. And you CAN have her.

I've found that a hungry 16 year old boy works pretty well when that brass is the only thing standing between him and a hamburger. :cheers:

+1 :roflol:

You are more than welcome in any squard with this tool . Brass Wizard :D

The Brass Wizard works well for some of our ranges here and no so good for others. We have no grass, just sand and gravel. The size of the gravel does matter quite a bit. If the gravel or rocks are the size of the brass shells or a little larger there is a problem. The rocks will get caught in between the metal tines and allow the brass to escape.

The ranges we have that are a bit sandy work ok. The tool will pull empty cases from the sand even if they cannot be seen. The metal tines go under the sand to get the cases.

My home range is soft beach sand, the nut wizard works about 50/50. Half it picks up, the other half it pushes below the surface.

Works great on harder ground though.