Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Battle Comp?

J-Rob

Yes - I've read a good report on it from a LEO. It's niche is a comp that also [somewhat] contains flash and is not too loud - like the PWS FCS and similar muzzle attachments. For 3 gun, a real comp is the ticket - like the SJC-Lund or Benny Hill's Rolling Thunder - both of which are designed and sold by forum members.

The Battle Comp seems way too expensive at $149 :surprise:

Yes - I've read a good report on it from a LEO. It's niche is a comp that also [somewhat] contains flash and is not too loud - like the PWS FCS and similar muzzle attachments. For 3 gun, a real comp is the ticket - like the SJC-Lund or Benny Hill's Rolling Thunder - both of which are designed and sold by forum members.

Of course you are right about everything. But I would point out that they have completely sold out their first batch so it would appear that they have developed a market aside from the members of this forum.

It looks similar to KAC's brake/can mount that is made out of Inconel and is close to 500 bucks. I know that Chris Costa and Travis Hayley run the KAC's on their rifles in their videos. With the amount of fanbois that those two have it could be that people bought the Battle Comp one just to emulate the two for a lot less than the KAC brake is.

There's a write-up about the battle comp on some other forums by some well respected guys. It apparently works as advertised but it's geared more for tactical shooters. I think for 3 gun, there are better options that cost less.

You would pay $100 for a Rolling thunder that is basically a piece of bar stock with a handful of holes milled in it and a bit of profiling, but $150 for an intricately machined piece is too much? I am not saying that Benny's comp isn't worth it, but there is way more machining time in a Battle Comp.

The price is justified in the quality of the work and the fact that it is apparently effective at what it is designed to do (I don't own one).

There are several videos out that show just how effective it is at reducing muzzle rise and you don't get the "thunder" that you get from some of the other brake designs.

Edited by 5Shot

Of course you are right about everything. But I would point out that they have completely sold out their first batch so it would appear that they have developed a market aside from the members of this forum.

And just how many units were in that first batch, huh? Without a quantifying number its like saying you were division winner at a match, but forgetting to tell that you were the only one in that division.

interesting look piece and i like the full auto video, but it doesnt seem to be quite as effective (purely from watching 2 seperate videos) as say an SJC comp. it looked like it subdued muzzle rise and recoil quite well but the shooter was gradually pushed backwards by the end of the quick video. an SJC video I saw showed the gun with practically zero rise or creep rearward. granted this one has a much quieter report, or so its being said, and would be more friendly in a tacical environment where you dont want to feel the concussion from your buddy's rifle.

granted this one has a much quieter report, or so its being said, and would be more friendly in a tacical environment where you dont want to feel the concussion from your buddy's rifle.

That is correct - it is inteded for use by those in harms way, not gamers. In a CQB situation, a standard brake would leave a lasting impression on those you hope will be helping in the fight. Muzzle blast/concussion would be very distracting during a live fire entry!!!

granted this one has a much quieter report, or so its being said, and would be more friendly in a tacical environment where you dont want to feel the concussion from your buddy's rifle.

That is correct - it is inteded for use by those in harms way, not gamers. In a CQB situation, a standard brake would leave a lasting impression on those you hope will be helping in the fight. Muzzle blast/concussion would be very distracting during a live fire entry!!!

This is somethign I think about when I see you guys ROing in a closed area with one of those openrifles. :surprise:

It looks painful!

• 4 weeks later...

In a thread on M4carbine.net, one of the owners of Battle Comp said his comp wasn't as effective at reducing felt recoil or muzzle rise as some of the comps designed for 3-gun. However, he said its the best compromise available for reducing recoil while not being overly harsh on anyone nearby and still taming muzzle flash.

Having said that, I bet 90 percent of the m4carbine members that purchased the comp will never see a shoot house, much less be part of an entry team. The fanboy is strong over there. $148 is a lot to spend on a comp that you aren't going to use for its advertised purpose.

Some of the reviews over there are not from unbiased testers.

(I have a PWC FCS. It still puts out a pretty good blast to anyone beside you. Does a fair job at hiding the flash. Doesn't reduce felt recoil quite as well as some other comps I have tried.)

Edited by Leozinho

• 2 weeks later...

unrelated/semi related

if you get a chance to visit the SOCOM and Abn museum in Fayetteville NC they have a bunch of fully dressed and rigged mannequins in the displays (this place is big they have airplanes and helos hanging from the ceiling)

ANyhow at least one of the SF teams represented in a display had a 10 inch gun with something that looked like a bennie hill comp on it

If you ever get out that way I highly recommmend planning a couple hours to viist this place.

PS its not on Bragg its downtown Fayettenam

• 1 month later...

unrelated/semi related

if you get a chance to visit the SOCOM and Abn museum in Fayetteville NC they have a bunch of fully dressed and rigged mannequins in the displays (this place is big they have airplanes and helos hanging from the ceiling)

ANyhow at least one of the SF teams represented in a display had a 10 inch gun with something that looked like a bennie hill comp on it

If you ever get out that way I highly recommmend planning a couple hours to viist this place.

PS its not on Bragg its downtown Fayettenam

Ha! Fayettnam :) haven't heard that in a while........

I agree with the Battle Comp's intended purpose. I've been testing it for a few weeks now and like it, but only for making interior firing less distracting to others around you. I've been pushing KX3's to my local teams, but the size comes up as a complaint from time to time. So the Battle Comp is a good alternative. I will say it does not tame the gun like a FSC, but it also doesn't blast the other guys on the line. If your looking for something for a house gun, this would be a good option.

--KJ

• 3 months later...

Just bought one of these Battlecomps...bit of a mad money Christmas present to myself! :) Remembered this thread, so thought I'd put a few thoughts down for you.

Reason I wanted to give it a try was because as yet, I only have the one rifle, which is pretty much a do-everything - matches, courses, longer distance square range shooting. Still new to 3 gun and carbine matches after only half a dozen matches, so I've not got around to a dedicated competition rifle yet. Figured a Battlecomp might be the ticket for such general purposeness - was attracted to the fact that it was supposedly a bit quieter/less blasty to those around you, yet still retained an ability to somewhat contain the muzzle flash and was supposedly an effective comp. I was previously using a Nordic Tactical Comp - and is the only other compensator I've ever used, so its the only thing I can compare to as well as A1/A2 flash hiders.

I feel the Battlecomp is similar in effectiveness compared with the Nordic. In fact I'd go so far as to say for me/my hold on the rifle, it is even better, as the rifle seems to recoil more directly straight back, where the Nordic was pushing slightly down and to the right (which I know can be tuned out with a bit of deft drilling, but I didn't bother as it really was only very minor). Felt I was able to get successive shots on a little bit better. The feel of the recoil, the actual push, is exactly on a par with the Nordic. Noisewise....the Battlecomp is a bit quieter than the Nordic, but most definitely louder than an A2 flash hider. Figured it would be - to get the benefits of these things, the energy has to go somewhere...but its not A2 quiet as some of the reviews would have you believe. Where I felt it does score highly is that it is definitely easier on concussive effect off to the sides, which I assume is dispersed around the radius rather than straight out like most comps.

All in all, I think it is a decent bit of kit, and it does do what it says on the tin (which is exactly what I wanted), albeit - not to the extent that some of the more Koolaidish reviews would have you believe. IMO it is overpriced, being similar in effectiveness to the $35 Nordic (Bargain!) with some side benefits. For sure it is a very nicely machined piece as someone above pointed out, so it is certainly going to cost more than some - but I still think they are on the steep side with it and would be more competitively priced if they could bring it a little more in line with the other high dollar comps out there ($100ish).

Well I don't really have any thoughts about the Battle Comp, but all this talk about harms way and blast has got me all smiley :D

Contrary to popular "real world" opinion, comps DON'T make guns louder, they just re-direct the gases and the sound signature to a different area. Yes most comped gun seem louder because the burning gases and companion sound is now out to the side instead of slightly down range. Now here is where it all falls apart. If ther is any thing for the sound /pressure wave to reflect off of such as a wall tward the front of where you are shooting the sound bounces around and a comped gun fired in a 10'X16' room will be just a "loud" as an A2 flash suppressor fired in the same room, and anyone standing in the room will get the same effect. Now granted if your partners face is right next to the port of your comp he will get a good winding but if there is any seperation at all the noise will be just as loud for both an A2 or a Rolling Thunder, because sound bounces all around the room, and nothing you can do outside of a can will help...Battle Comped or not.

Well I don't really have any thoughts about the Battle Comp, but all this talk about harms way and blast has got me all smiley :D

Contrary to popular "real world" opinion, comps DON'T make guns louder, they just re-direct the gases and the sound signature to a different area. Yes most comped gun seem louder because the burning gases and companion sound is now out to the side instead of slightly down range. Now here is where it all falls apart. If ther is any thing for the sound /pressure wave to reflect off of such as a wall tward the front of where you are shooting the sound bounces around and a comped gun fired in a 10'X16' room will be just a "loud" as an A2 flash suppressor fired in the same room, and anyone standing in the room will get the same effect. Now granted if your partners face is right next to the port of your comp he will get a good winding but if there is any seperation at all the noise will be just as loud for both an A2 or a Rolling Thunder, because sound bounces all around the room, and nothing you can do outside of a can will help...Battle Comped or not.

Kurt.....shhhhh You speak tactical blasphemy, what are you going to do next, try to make us believe that this reflected pressure wave can be exponentially increased when allowed to reflect more than once......HOKUM I say!

It looks similar to KAC's brake/can mount that is made out of Inconel and is close to 500 bucks. I know that Chris Costa and Travis Hayley run the KAC's on their rifles in their videos. With the amount of fanbois that those two have it could be that people bought the Battle Comp one just to emulate the two for a lot less than the KAC brake is.

And we have a winner :lol:

What was amazing was the number of people on Ar15.com who BOUGHT the KAC break at close to 500 bucks. I remember getting ripped over there for saying Travis and Costa were basically sales men and they used what they were given. How many pistols/holsters have they been through. Wanna sell more products, slap it on a rifle in a magpul video. The "short" comps work fine for what they are but ar not the end all of comps.

Just so you know, I actually did this test for about 5 different comps/Tactical brakes and an A2 in a 10X16 room with furniture, lamps, a T.V. a window and all the room stuff and a qucik response Decibel meter...if you are in that room without hearing protection... OUCH. All of them were within 3 Decibels measured at the corners and in the middle. The guy I was helping with this decided to run Ops-Inc brakes for his team and spent a bit more on the high end Peltors for his team. KurtM

Edited because Ops-Inc is the real comp they got and Tac Ops doesn't exist...except in my sleep fogged mind. KurtM

Edited by kurtm

Just so you know, I actually did this test for about 5 different comps/Tactical brakes and an A2 in a 10X16 room with furniture, lamps, a T.V. a window and all the room stuff and a qucik response Decibel meter...if you are in that room without hearing protection... OUCH. All of them were within 3 Decibels measured at the corners and in the middle. The guy I was helping with this decided to run Ops-Inc brakes for his team and spent a bit more on the high end Peltors for his team. KurtM

Edited because Ops-Inc is the real comp they got and Tac Ops doesn't exist...except in my sleep fogged mind. KurtM

I agree that noise is pretty much a non-issue, and that good ear pro really eliminate any issues with noise.

The one thing we don't regularly encounter in competition as a potential draw back to comps is blasting up dramatically more debris when shooting under barricades in unconventional positions. At the local ACTS match this past weekend we had to shoot through the bottom ports on a VTAC at targets at 25 and 50 yards. First round fired with my FSC556 and I blasted up a nice bunch of fine gravel and obscured my sight picture with a dust cloud that got worse with every shot fired. I'd been shooting that particular match with a flash hider only the past several times we'd had stages like that, and the muzzle blast effect was nowhere near as dramatic.

The one thing we don't regularly encounter in competition as a potential draw back to comps is blasting up dramatically more debris when shooting under barricades in unconventional positions. At the local ACTS match this past weekend we had to shoot through the bottom ports on a VTAC at targets at 25 and 50 yards. First round fired with my FSC556 and I blasted up a nice bunch of fine gravel and obscured my sight picture with a dust cloud that got worse with every shot fired. I'd been shooting that particular match with a flash hider only the past several times we'd had stages like that, and the muzzle blast effect was nowhere near as dramatic.

If you were REALLY tactical, you would have urinated on the spot under your muzzle to reduce the dust signature. I hate gamers :roflol:

If you were REALLY tactical, you would have urinated on the spot under your muzzle to reduce the dust signature. I hate gamers :roflol:

Normally I'm sweating enough I just ooze that out all over the ground, and it is sufficient. I may have to resort to that technique for matches in the winter. If I elect to go first on the stage, I doubt anyone will want to get into position very quickly, and perhaps not at all.

Edited by SinistralRifleman

I'm looking hard at a Battle Comp for my upcoming SBR build.

Not because it is PERFECT for recoil control.

Not because it directs LOTS less sound back at the shooter.

Not because it suppresses flash the BEST.

There is a strong feedback from a multiple sources that it is above average at all three. SBRs kick like mules (no barrel weight). They blast the shooter more (closer to the business end). And they flash a lot, since most 5.56 loads are designed for a 18-20" barrel burn-time.

Not for 3-Gun, but a good choice for a SBR...

Jeff

I agree, redirection is the name of the game....in confined spaces loud is just friggin loud. Now only if I could find a comp that redirected my misses, that would truly be golden....! :)