Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many mags needed for USPSA Limited?

wmspdi

I have a Glock 35, and eight 15 round .40 S&W factory magazines, that I am planning to use for USPSA Limited and Limited 10. I will be ordering Arredondo +5 magazine extentions to take some of them up to 20 rounds for Limited. How many 15 round stock magazines will I need for Limited 10, and how many will I have to convert to 20 rounds to compete in Limited.

I have a Comp-Tac belt holster, 4 mag pouches and an instructor belt and have worked up major PF handloads. The mags are the last element left, other than the skill... Thanks.

Feild course round limit is 32. If yoiu miss alot you will have to give yourself enough shots to finish. That is one you will have to decide for yourself at your current skill level.

JZ

Ltd you usually only do about 1 reload per stage. starter mag, the main reload and an "oh $h*#" mag should do it. as said above, you may have a stage with up to 32 rounds or sometimes even more. have enough on you belt, plus a few extras, especially if there are steel targets.

You are good to go. I only put three on my belt, one in pocket, one it the gun for just about any CoF. There have been a few exceptions such as an all steel, 32 target stage. Yeah, I missed a lot and used just about all my mags (had two in my pocket). When running L10 or Production, I usually have 5 on my belt, 1 in my pocket and 1 in the gun. You sound like you are prepared so "let's get it on" :)

It sounds like two 20 round extended mags (one in the gun and a reload) plus two 15 round stock mags should be enough for Limited. That's 70 rounds total. If I miss enough to blow through the 3rd mag (15 rounds) and get to the 4th magazine (14 rounds after the Barney Bullet) I'll be out of the running anyway. I may order 3 Arredondo Extension kits so I have an extra just in case I want to convert a third magazine.

I'm running a STI Edge in Limited. I've got one in the gun, two on the belt and my barney feeder resides in the last mag pouch. Between all of the, I've got around 75 rounds. I haven't quite figured out why some people carry 4 or 5 140mm mags on their belt. Its just added weight they don't need and I highly doubt they need 100 rounds to complete a stage.

I'm running a STI Edge in Limited. I've got one in the gun, two on the belt and my barney feeder resides in the last mag pouch. Between all of the, I've got around 75 rounds. I haven't quite figured out why some people carry 4 or 5 140mm mags on their belt. Its just added weight they don't need and I highly doubt they need 100 rounds to complete a stage.

That's an easy to to answer....when stuff happens you don't plan on! I started my last stage of the CO State Championship (think it was 2007) with four on my belt and one in the gun. Going through the door at the start I managed to hit the door frame and it removed two mags from my belt! This was a 32-round field course with a TON of steel. I actually heard everyone gasp when it happened. Since I still had a reload and a spare, I was fine. If I'd had only two or three on my belt I may have been hosed.

I will say that if the stage is something like 18-20 rounds, I'd only have a start mag and two on my belt. That way I could still lose one and be able to reload if necessary. R,

It sounds like two 20 round extended mags (one in the gun and a reload) plus two 15 round stock mags should be enough for Limited. That's 70 rounds total. If I miss enough to blow through the 3rd mag (15 rounds) and get to the 4th magazine (14 rounds after the Barney Bullet) I'll be out of the running anyway. I may order 3 Arredondo Extension kits so I have an extra just in case I want to convert a third magazine.

I wouldn't say that. Set yourself up with four 20 round mags. It'll make life easier. Imagine something happens to one of them, then you're down to just a 20 to start and 15s on your belt. The other thing is if you happen to be last on one stage, and first on the next stage, you don't have to fight to clean and reload as many mags if you've got a couple extra 20-rounders ready to go....really takes away a common stress point. R,

Shooting Limited I have 4 on the belt and one in the gun. I do the same thing for every stage no matter the round count. It becomes one less thing I have to calculate, it just the routine. Plus as Bart points out mags hit doors, fall out of mag pouches, puke on themselves, any number of things particularly if you don't have a full load on your belt.

Or you could fet excited AND LAUNCH ONE ON A RELOAD! :blush:

These things do happen.

Did just that and then some, at the last club match...

Missed the magwell with reload, went for a spare and failed to seat it completely, had to go for mag #3 on the belt to finish the cof.

Stuff happens.

I run limited with three 20 rounders on the belt (19 rounds in them for easier seating of the mag on reloads though.)

I barney up with a stock mag from my pocket and then insert a fully loaded 20 rounder in the gun to start.

I'm also shooting a Glock 35 with Arredondo extensions.

I haven't quite figured out why some people carry 4 or 5 140mm mags on their belt.

That's an easy to to answer....when stuff happens you don't plan on! I started my last stage of the CO State Championship (think it was 2007) with four on my belt and one in the gun. ....Since I still had a reload and a spare, I was fine. If I'd had only two or three on my belt I may have been hosed.

This reminds me of the "request" that Casey Stoner Moto GP world champion recently asked of Ducati, the manufacture of his motorcycle. He asked them to increase the strength of the handlebars because "every time it tips over (i.e. he crashes!!!!) they break off" and he is unable to finish the race. If I was Ducati, I would tell him....well then...QUIT CRASHING!

What did he do during his last race? Crashed out. :wacko:

Edited by SteveZ

Shooting Limited I have 4 on the belt and one in the gun. I do the same thing for every stage no matter the round count. It becomes one less thing I have to calculate, it just the routine. Plus as Bart points out mags hit doors, fall out of mag pouches, puke on themselves, any number of things particularly if you don't have a full load on your belt.

+1! Consistency is good.

I once used managed to run through all 5 of my 20 rd limited mags on a 22 round stage. A couple of malfunctions, sand in a mag, and a missed reload will do that to you. Needless to say, it was a classifier, too.

Glock mags aren't NEARLY as bad as STI mags, so I'd plan to have at least 4. That's what I had when I shot my M&P40 in limited, and like everyone else has said, it makes life A LOT easier.

Another point is grabbing a mag with an extended base pad on it for a reload is going to feel different than grabbing a factory magazine. The consistency of grabbing the mag the same way every time will help with your reloads. Just a thought.

I have four. I usually have at least two of them full and on the belt plus the one in the gun.

In production and single stack, I have 5-6 on the belt and the one in the gun.

You really can never have too many.

You limited guys kill me, 4 20 round mags....thats 80 rounds!!! roflol.gif Ok, Ok, I can't make fun when I shoot limited I go to the line with 61 rounds usually. I start with 20+1 and 2 20 round mags on my belt. Anywho, if you make all your mags 20 rounders it doesn't matter if you shoot Limited or L10 they are all legal.

If you put a magwell on your Glock you will effectively eliminate the ability to use stock mags for reloads under stress. So what you do to your mags must be based on that premise and Glock mags are cheaper than the extensions. I believe that you can never have too many mags and in a match they are only used once if they hit the ground. I have lots of belt real estate so I have 5 CR Speed mag pouches. The first pouch has a 20 round, load all the rest hold 19 for reloadability. Inventory is 4 170mm, 12 140mm and 13 stock so I load what I think I will need before a match.

As a Airborne Infantry BARman I used to carry a 2nd combat load on live fire maneuvers and alerts because it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I have 6 of the glock mags with extentions but realistically only use 2-3 of them during the match. Never had a problem with them hitting the dirt and getting loaded up without being stripped down. Never had them apart to clean them and never had a problem with the gun at all. An STI might be different but the glock mags are pretty tolerant as far as whats required to work