Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DQ'ing a shooter

Cy Soto

I know this is not a common occurrence and, for this reason, I am having a hard time figuring out how to deal with it...

A while back I was RO'ing this shooter whom I know is fairly new to the sport but whom is certainly dedicated enough to travel to most matches in the area and shoot most every weekend. As I side note, I will also mention that I have honestly seen a fair deal of improvement on her part and I am happy to see her progress.

While at this particular match I saw her do a reload where I thought I saw her finger inside the trigger guard. Because of the angle I was at, I was not 100% certain of this so I chose not to make the DQ call at that exact moment. Knowing that it was possible that she had done this and fearing that she might do it again, I positioned myself in an area behind her where I had a better view of her trigger finger. Just like I expected, when it came time for her to do her next reload I clearly saw that her finger was not only inside the trigger guard but her finger was also pinning the trigger in the rearmost position.

I stopped her, gave her the "unload and show clear" command and explained that she was being DQ'd for Unsafe Gun Handling. Her body language told me that she was not happy with this decision so, after running the next shooter I went to her and told her that I sorry for having to do this. I thought that would be the end of it but it turns out that, after several weeks and a few matches later, she still holds a bit of a grudge against my decision.

I go to these matches to have fun and spend some time amongst friends. Like everyone else in my squad I help with any duties that may be needed (including running the clock) but this situation makes me not want to be the primary RO if people are going to be "mad dogging" me for following the rules. Regardless, I will continue to enforce this or any other DQ'able offense. I just wish that all shooters understood that this is not a personal vendetta against them.

I know this is not a common occurrence and, for this reason, I am having a hard time figuring out how to deal with it...

A while back I was RO'ing this shooter whom I know is fairly new to the sport but whom is certainly dedicated enough to travel to most matches in the area and shoot most every weekend. As I side note, I will also mention that I have honestly seen a fair deal of improvement on her part and I am happy to see her progress.

While at this particular match I saw her do a reload where I thought I saw her finger inside the trigger guard. Because of the angle I was at, I was not 100% certain of this so I chose not to make the DQ call at that exact moment. Knowing that it was possible that she had done this and fearing that she might do it again, I positioned myself in an area behind her where I had a better view of her trigger finger. Just like I expected, when it came time for her to do her next reload I clearly saw that her finger was not only inside the trigger guard but her finger was also pinning the trigger in the rearmost position.

I stopped her, gave her the "unload and show clear" command and explained that she was being DQ'd for Unsafe Gun Handling. Her body language told me that she was not happy with this decision so, after running the next shooter I went to her and told her that I sorry for having to do this. I thought that would be the end of it but it turns out that, after several weeks and a few matches later, she still holds a bit of a grudge against my decision.

I go to these matches to have fun and spend some time amongst friends. Like everyone else in my squad I help with any duties that may be needed (including running the clock) but this situation makes me not want to be the primary RO if people are going to be "mad dogging" me for following the rules. Regardless, I will continue to enforce this or any other DQ'able offense. I just wish that all shooters understood that this is not a personal vendetta against them.

It's not on you, Cy. You would be feeling a lot worse if that person's unsafe gun handling got someone hurt. I think we all feel bad when we DQ someone. Maybe have a mutual acquaintance speak with her?

Cy...it's being happy with the guy/gal in the mirror that counts. You did the right thing, may not be popular but too bad. Integrity and honesty is what makes this sport great. If someone can't handle it...there is always Horseshoes or Badmitton!

:cheers:

Ignore her. If she's still pissed after several weeks she's not worthy of being a friend. There is a reason for the DQ that she earned and that is safety, hers and the other participants. If she does not understand this even after you tried to explain just move on and forget her and her attitude.

CYa,

Pat

I wouldn't worry about it. You did the right thing. This last Sunday I had a friend do the samething but he shot a round off while he was reloading. It is hard to be a RO sometimes but stand your ground and if that person can't understand what they did and learn from their mistakes then that's to bad. Safety for everyone is more important then a friendship. My friend did understand what he did and feels really bad. I'm sure he won't do it again.

Edited by Victor R

Sounds like she's in denial and will likely get DQ'd again. You did good an made sure of what she was doing- you should have no regrets. It does take something away from wanting to RO sometimes though doesn't it??? I've been very fortunate that most of the people I've DQ'd were very understanding and professional.

It does take something away from wanting to RO sometimes though doesn't it??? .

I feel this way sometimes as well. I think it is fun to RO but I do hope when a friend is shooting that they don't do something to make me have to DQ them.

I was working a stage this weekend with a very good CRO. When some shooting buddies of his showed up in the next squad he made sure I ran them. He did not want anybody thinking he cut them any slack either in scoring or in the event of a DQ offense. I think that is a very good practice whenever it is practical to do so.

You did what you were supposed to do. Especially a newer shooter, a DQ "should" make an impression that alters their habits and leads to long-term safety. It has been rare that I have DQ'd someone, even at Nationals, and not had them understand what they did and tell me not to wory about it. I still feel bad for them, but we have safety rules for a reason.

This thread was closed because the content/topic was judged not to be in line with the rules of the Hate Forum. (mostly likely politics or shooting related..which are out of bounds)

Please review what you are..ahhh...allowed to hate. :)

Hate Forum Rules:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8097

[note: this is a generic reply]