Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What percentage of shooters make A class?

A more experienced shooter once stated to me that only about 10% of USPSA shooters make it to A class.

This is not to be confused with A class starting at 75% average of the best HFs and therefor at least 25% of shooters are A class or higher. This is not necessarily true.

More than 10% could make it to A class or higher, less than 10% might make it to A class or higher.

Can anyone point me to a search or "study" which identifies which percentages of all USPSA are ranked, D, C, B, A, M, and GM?

Thanks!

(If this is present elsewhere accept my appolgies)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you worried about? You blew thru A so fast the ink wasn't dry on your card when you made master. :bow::devil:

I wish that were true, but I think I you have me confused with someone else (someone better).

Edited by Steven Cline

Here are the stats from this month. I ignored the unclassified shooters

post-400-127465572853_thumb.jpg

Later,

Chuck

Chuck,

Thank you very much. I'm very impressed that you found it so fast. Have you a link to the right place to find this info?

Steve

Still can't figure out the op's question. How many total shooters are there in USPSA? I would be represented 3 different places in the above figures as I am classed in 3 different divisions. If we had total # of USPSA shooters, say 18,000 members? Then we could say, 2,805 shooters are "A's", and that is roughly 15.6% of all USPSA shooters.

M= 8.4%

GM=2.1%

This would be based on 18,000 total members. Boy, seems to drop off sharply after "A".

Later,

Chuck

Chuck,

Thank you very much. I'm very impressed that you found it so fast. Have you a link to the right place to find this info?

Steve

Go to the USPSA website and look for "Classifiers by State" on the "Additional Content" menu... I did the calculations in Excel..

Fourtrax, the 18K is unduplicated members of USPSA. When you look at the number of As across all Division you may get Duplicated members. For example I am B in L10, L, SS. So I would be counted three times as a B and twice as a C in Open and Production. It is best not to count across all Divisions but to stay in one.

I was totally shocked to see that there are only ~5K Open shooters. Their prize table always seems richer.

This thread has provoked a new question: if the classifier system is normalized, then wouldn't there be the approximate same percentage of shooters in the class as the % used to determine the classification. Or in more confusing language, If B is suppose to be ~60% then shouldn't there be approximately 60% of the membership listed as B.

If B is suppose to be ~60% then shouldn't there be approximately 60% of the membership listed as B.

No. Shooting a B classifier means you shot at least 60% of a high hit factor, not 60% of average. 60% of way above average. Someone else may have a good explanation of how the high hit factor is determined, but it's basically what the top guys shoot classifiers in.

This thread has provoked a new question: if the classifier system is normalized, then wouldn't there be the approximate same percentage of shooters in the class as the % used to determine the classification. Or in more confusing language, If B is suppose to be ~60% then shouldn't there be approximately 60% of the membership listed as B.

that would only be 15%, those between 60% and 75%

Steve Alpha mike is having a Classifier match Saturday, knowing Donald the stages will be the kind you can move up on. I'll be at Ted's Rifle fun shoot, I'm going to stay in "C" till I make it the hard way one classifer at a time, I broke into C prematurly at 61.

Steve Alpha mike is having a Classifier match Saturday, knowing Donald the stages will be the kind you can move up on. I'll be at Ted's Rifle fun shoot, I'm going to stay in "C" till I make it the hard way one classifer at a time, I broke into C prematurly at 61.

I'm fairly certain I made A on Saturday with an 83% on Bang n Clang, I was sitting at 74%.

Besides, you and Ted and a few others have started to insinuate (in a gentle and loving way) that I may be sand-bagging.

Later,

Chuck

Chuck,

Steve

Go to the USPSA website and look for "Classifiers by State" on the "Additional Content" menu... I did the calculations in Excel..

Thanks for the direction, much appreciated. :cheers:

theres only 9 SS GMs?

I need to get to work!

Is that really true, or is there some mistake with the data?

There are at least two people who post on this forum every day who are GMs in SS.

I just checked the SS nats results, 5 GMs competed this year, two of which were GMS last year.

Wow, maybe there really are only 9 SS GMs.

That's pretty bad ass.

I'm fairly certain I made A on Saturday with an 83% on Bang n Clang, I was sitting at 74%.

Besides, you and Ted and a few others have started to insinuate (in a gentle and loving way) that I may be sand-bagging.

Steve - When its official on or about June 15th - Then we are going to have to have a major celebration I'm talking Beer and BBQ, maybe some cake. I'll see if we can talk Ted into hosting it and I'll kick in some $$ for Beer and Beef.

theres only 9 SS GMs?

I need to get to work!

Is that really true, or is there some mistake with the data?

There are at least two people who post on this forum every day who are GMs in SS.

I just checked the SS nats results, 5 GMs competed this year, two of which were GMS last year.

Wow, maybe there really are only 9 SS GMs.

That's pretty bad ass.

There are only 9. Johnny Brister is the most recent GM in SS and the first person to be a GM in all six divisions.

I agree with you Jake, and I am begininng to think that the same could be said about M, But what is your opinion on GM? Do you think anyone could do it ?I am of the opinion that you almost need freakish hand eye coordination to pull that one off, and not every one who wants it, can do it. What do you think?