Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ANYONE ELSE SHOOTING ATLANTA ARMS 147 GRAIN 9MM

G34 CORDY

Great stuff. Used many thousands of rounds for a few years before I started reloading and based my reloads on similar specs to the AA&A loadings.

Good ammo, good customer service.

Curtis

i have shot only 200 rounds of it but it has been 100% reliable. i ordered 200 more rounds today for my match on sunday to shoot it in my new glock 34. i was shooting a xdm 9 but i like the 34 so much better but thats just my opinion.

is there any difference in the $12 box vs the $18 box of glock spec ammo besides that the glock spec has new brass and the cheaper ammo is used brass?

That's the only difference. I've used both and, for USPSA, I'd go with the once-fired brass and save a few bucks. The new brass (used to be Starline) might be a little more consistent. But I never had a problem with the once-fired. In fact, I'm now on my tenth reloading for practice rounds from the original AA&A once-fired brass I saved.

Curtis

Edited by BayouSlide

can someone explain to me the difference between 115gr, 124gr and 147gr 9mm fmj ammo?

The heavier bullet requires less powder to make power factor so, theoretically, it will recoil softer.

can someone explain to me the difference between 115gr, 124gr and 147gr 9mm fmj ammo?

Velocity. 124gr is the NATO standard weight. 115 standard for subguns. Also used a lot for IPSC/USPSA. Lots of people use 147 grain 9mm Atlanta Arms Ammo, including the Glock Team shooters. Used to be JHP-those are not available at the moment in sufficient volume, so they are making FMJ. Excellent ammo.

Many experienced shooters can tell the difference. I have shot 147s and 115s that ran about the same power factor back to back and I didn't perceive much difference. As I said though, many more well versed than me says there is a difference, so there probably is.

I shot the AA 147's in a Glock 19 and they had a very nice consistent feel. Plus, they make a very satisfying "THUNK" when they hit steel plates and poppers - a point to consider if you don't consistently hit full center on those buggers.

Earlier this month I chronoed the 147FMJ Atlanta Arms with once fired brass. The ammo was very consistent and made minor with no problem out of my Sig226. A bit off topic but the Federal 115FMJ that is carried by Walmart did not make minor out of my Sig.

Many experienced shooters can tell the difference. I have shot 147s and 115s that ran about the same power factor back to back and I didn't perceive much difference. As I said though, many more well versed than me says there is a difference, so there probably is.

The 147s do recoil softer, but there's a caveat: They also make the gun feel a little sluggish. The soft "lopey" recoil causes some folks to slow down a bit. It is all dependent on one's shooting style. A lot of shooters are going back to the 124s so they can get a little snappier and faster-feeling gun.

I've got about 2K of these left. Very accurate, very consistent etc. They do have a bit more recoil and flip in my gun than my handloads, but they're at a lower power factor, which really surprised me. R,

I'm getting away from AA&A now. I just can't tell what I'm getting when I order anymore. I was going through my ammo I have left over to shoot this summer. I have 147 loads from AA&A with Zero JHP, Zero FMJ, Montana Gold CMJ and the current bullet is a AA&A spec'd Berry Plated bullet. The Berry supposedly has a slightly thicker plating for AA&A. The Zero JHP and MG bullets shoot the same, the FMJ Zero shoots about 4 inches high and the Berry's are close but horribly innaccuate out of my G34. I would get about 3 rounds into 2 inches at 25 yards, which would be great but I was shooting 5 round groups. They were averaging closer to 8 inches with at least one or two fliers in every group.

I'll still keep using AA&A for my minor .45 and steel 9mm 115 JHP loads, but for now I'm gonna have to pass on the 147 gr stuff.

I shot 2k of the A&A 147gr Glock load before i started reloading and it very good stuff and accurate . I like better than any other 9mm ammo that you can buy . I would still be shooting it but i was shooting it up faster than i could afford !!! :devil:

I have been shooting the team glock load. At the Tenn sectional I was having a hard time knocking the plates off a Texas star. The chrono stage was not run due to weather and I dont have a chrono, so I dont know how fast it is. This was with a G34. other than that, I like it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting away from AA&A now. I just can't tell what I'm getting when I order anymore. I was going through my ammo I have left over to shoot this summer. I have 147 loads from AA&A with Zero JHP, Zero FMJ, Montana Gold CMJ and the current bullet is a AA&A spec'd Berry Plated bullet. The Berry supposedly has a slightly thicker plating for AA&A. The Zero JHP and MG bullets shoot the same, the FMJ Zero shoots about 4 inches high and the Berry's are close but horribly innaccuate out of my G34. I would get about 3 rounds into 2 inches at 25 yards, which would be great but I was shooting 5 round groups. They were averaging closer to 8 inches with at least one or two fliers in every group.

I just posted about Blazers not grouping and your remarks about plated bullets intrigued me. Could there be a difference in how plated bullets vs. jacketed bullets behave in the Glock's polygonal bore? Could that be the reason for the inaccuracy you've experienced?

plated bullets have come a long ways frm the yrs past, a company i will not name had stuffthat any shots past 20ish yrds were iffy at best, one comment from a friend who was shooting it said, he didnt get any penalties for not engageing the targets at 40 yrds, but then again he didnt get any points on em either...

recently thetrend in plated bullets has been the 'double struck' variety, and im not sure, and someone can correct me, butthe bullet has been sized twice, dont know if it was before or after plating, and that seems to help onthe accuracy probs, im shooting some 115 gr plated in a GSSF indoor match, and have been pretty happy, cept for a goofy flyer on the last shot ofthe match i would have scored 500/500

plated is a go between true jacketed and lead, depending on how they are put together you will still getthe anooying properties of one, while trying to achieve the other, back in the day, we went to plated to get away from clogging the comps on raceguns, but didnt wantto fork out the bucks for jacketed(thinking back now, 50 bucks per k for jacketed now seems like a bargain, but back then, lead was half that, and plated a lil more)

• 2 months later...