Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ever had a squib or double charge?

G-ManBart

Does this count if you caught it before the bullet went on? For the first time I can remember, as I was checking charge weights last night, I got one that was empty save maybe three or four flakes. Really threw me, as this had never happened before. I checked thirty straight after that to try and make it happen again, and I couldn't. As a matter of fact, the throws weren't more than .1 higher or lower than the 4.7 I was shooting for.

So while I have never had a squib, if I hadn't been on top of it, I should have loaded one last night. :unsure:

Forgot to add I was loading on a SDB

Edited by JimmyZip

I voted SDB, but it was my fault. I think it was a round that went through my washing machine and some how got mixed back in

If you don't know for sure, I'd say don't vote...regardless of machine. I don't think wash-n-wear rounds count. R,

Bart, that's two for a FULLY auto progressive press so far..... ;)

One he's not sure of...doesn't sound like he pulled the bullet and checked to see if it had powder or not. If it's questionable, I'm not inclined to count it regardless of machine. The other wasn't a squib, but it sounds like it would have been. R,

I've never had either.. but I think I've gotten closer to it with my 1050 than my 550. Once a 1050 has an issue, it's easy to go by it, and not realize something seriously ran amok.

But either press, it's how much you pay attention. I think the 1050 has the bigger 'not paying attention factor', thinking it's so automated.

There is also the possibility that folks won't want to vote because they use a particular press, that's what they have, that's what they're going to stick with, and they don't want to admit there are better choices, or they can't afford to change....hopefully the anonymity will entice people to vote even if it's not what they want to say or see. R,

My one and only squib was on a 650 with the "new" style powder measure and a loose wing nut on the rod. I used a 550 for four years and never had a squib. I have seen others have squibs that use 1050s. A week ago, for example...

Later,

Chuck

PS: I now run 2 return springs on the powder measure in addition to the rod ;)

I never have. I started with a SDB, now use 550s. However...as an RO I've seen my share, and they've all had one common factor- Lee. It may also be that they were primarily new shooters, thus new to reloading. But...

I've never had one, and I firmly believe that it has very little to do with the press. Obviously if there was something seriously wrong with the powder measure, that would be one thing.

In my mind it all comes down to the operator and his/her understanding of what they are doing and how good the process is that they are using. I got rid of my lockout die after a few months because it caused more trouble than it saved (seeing as how it never found a round without powder).

You might want to start a parallel poll with, "which press do you use". Otherwise, if one brand sees considerably more use on benos, it is statistically more likely to generate squibs/doubles; that is, unless a certain brand is an order of magnitude less likely to make a bad round.

-Steve

I've never had one, and I firmly believe that it has very little to do with the press.

I'd have to agree. Any squib I've ever had was something I screwed up, or something I should have caught - ie, "Damn, how long has the hopper been empty?" :angry: .

I'm with the others. I don't think it matters the brand of press. It's the user or a screwed up powder drop that would most likely cause a squib or double. I've seen people have both from Lee and Dillon. However, the folks I've seen have the problems I wouldn't trust to load my ammo regardless what press they used. :ph34r:

BTW, I've had one squib load in all the thousands I've loaded on my Lee presses. It was caused by trying to drop a small powder volume with the Lee adjustable charge bar which is a useless item the way they designed it. But, it wasn't the presses fault. It was the fault of the charge bar. And me for not making sure the damn thing worked consistently before actually loading ammo with it.

Chris

I am assuming that I had a double charge. Loading .38 HBWC with 2.9 grn W231. There was one round that sounded much louder than all the others and the recoil matched the sound. I had made it half way through my rounds and decided to leave before it happened again. Even though this wasn't a potential KB for my 686 I still pulled and weighed the rest of the rounds. All 2.9 grns.

Okay, lets see who's had what....

Without a baseline distribution, there won't be a way to tell if the highest numbers are due to problems or popularity.

True, but there's no easy way around it. If we could round up, say 1,000 owners of each model and poll them, it would be much more accurate, but that's obviously not going to happen.

Okay, lets see who's had what....

Without a baseline distribution, there won't be a way to tell if the highest numbers are due to problems or popularity.

True, but there's no easy way around it. If we could round up, say 1,000 owners of each model and poll them, it would be much more accurate, but that's obviously not going to happen.

Sales numbers from Dillon, Lee, and RCBS would be a better starting point, The best starting point, if you're polling in the enosverse would be a general poll of enosverse subscribers' press choices.

Ultimately, though, it's going to be hard for me to believe that 95%+ of squibs or doubles aren't simply human error.

Sales numbers from Dillon, Lee, and RCBS would be a better starting point, The best starting point, if you're polling in the enosverse would be a general poll of enosverse subscribers' press choices.

Ultimately, though, it's going to be hard for me to believe that 95%+ of squibs or doubles aren't simply human error.

Sure, but there even issues with that. We probably can't get those numbers and even with them, we don't know how those numbers correlate to the average guy/gal here.

I'd say that almost all squibs or doubles are human error....we should all be looking in the case when the bullet gets seated or as the case is moving towards that station if we're using a bullet feeder. Even if your press/powder measure had a mechanical failure, you should still catch it if you're doing things the right way.

The human factor can never be entirely eliminated, but I think that one style of press gives you less of an opportunity to have that human error than another style. It would seem pretty easy to narrow down the number of likely failure modes and compare total numbers. Whichever has more failure modes increases the chance for human error to come into play. R,