Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Am Not A Spectator Sport

benos

Received this via email:

I AM NOT A SPECTATOR SPORT

I am a 118 pound young woman. I have enjoyed shooting for many years. I travel for a living, so I am frequently the new girl at the range. Here's a sample of the Top 3 greetings I usually get, while I'm setting up my station, BEFORE I fire my first shot:

1) "Hello, little missy, have you ever fired a gun before?"

2) "Is that a .45? That seems like an awfully big gun for such a little girl"

3) "Tee-hee.... make sure you aim for center mass, not the groin area! ha ha ha."

As I begin shooting, I often wind up with a crowd standing around me, commentating. Suddenly, I'm a spectator sport. A few months ago, a man even felt compelled to walk up behind me, while I'm shooting, and start massaging my shoulders!! Is it ever considered normal to start massaging a strange woman with a loaded .45 in her hand?

I may not be able to shoot an aphid off a fly's ass from 100 yards, but from 25 yards, I can produce a grouping tighter than Lance Armstrong's spandex's. And yes, I'm a girl, and I'm small. WOW.

If a girl wants to go dancing, she goes to a disco. If she likes to shop, she'll go to a mall. If she wants to shoot her Kimber Classic Custom, she'll go to a shooting range, and if she needs your help, SHE'LL ASK FOR IT.

Thanks,

C. Yentzen

be

We joked that we were going to get my girlfriend a shirt that read:

If you name isn't Robbie or Brian...then shut the f*ck up!!!

Now she pretty much knows everybody she shoots with...so she tells them herself.

How bou't - If I want any Sh*t outa you I will squeeze your head! - Thats a good tee shirt message...

I guess I'm too ugly (and my guns too big)(and my bullet holes too nicely grouped--on good days, anyway) to attract such idiots. Most of 'the guys' that don't already know me DO make friends and strike up a conversation, like

"...Wow, what are you shooting??"

"...Hi, I'm (insert guy's name)... do you reload...?"

"...Whoa, do you shoot in the leagues...?"

"...Do you want to shoot my (insert gun type here)...?"

I've NEVER had anyone jerk my chain or treat me like an idiot. (I wouldn't let them even if they tried.) I completely appreciate guys at the range chatting me up (that's one of those British-isms) and getting acquainted. All to our mutual credit if we find out who we are and why we're there. New shooting friends are ALWAYS a good thing.

Granted, my experiences are limited to my local metro area, but without question I'm treated with cordial respect at our gun shops (my money is as green as male money), and everyone at the range knows I'm serious about my shooting skills. Even the vendors at the local gun shows remember who I am now (even if I don't buy anything) and I take the time to chat THEM up. Nobody messes with me.

It's all a long-term investment on my part. And I intend for it to pay off. It already has.

PS--105 pounds.

While Erik and Rich are duking it out for Alison Berkeley I call dibs on this girl! er ... woman, in the most respectful, non-condescending, un-creepy, non-threatening, friendly, kind and innocent way. Because if the her 25 yard groups are really as tight as Lance Armstrong's spandex, my groups look more like Tyra Banks wearing Ophra's underwear.

I'm kind of embarrassed that anybody would have to write that. What does that say about the average range rat? Not much....

The shoulder fondler cockroach ought to have a 1911-shaped indentation on his forehead. God help anyone I see pull that stunt.

I will say one thing though, if I've never seen someone at the range before, I give'm a visual shakedown male or female. I'm starting to lose track of the number of loaded guns I've seen aimed down the line with a finger on the trigger. I long ago lost track of the number of idiots I've seen bench their guns with the actions closed and start to head downrange.

So, if one of us is new, and I'm checking you out, I'm not necessarily staring at your ass. OK? :P

Unfortunately, I see tons of stupid stuff like this. Fortunately, I believe the guys involved are good natured and trying to be helpful, but just don't get the fact that a woman alone at a range may not actually need a big strapping man to help her out!

I've thought alot about the male psyche and have developed some pretty interesting theories on WHY they're compelled to help... someday I'll tell y'all about it :ph34r:

Guys are dogs, they see a pretty girl (compliment to the email writer) and the brains goes out the windows and we're in 3rd grade again.

That's said, if they had just 1 brain cell left they would realize they're not going to impress that way. When was the last time you say a hot chick out with a 3rd grader?

Do you think any touching went on in the now infamous Swedish Bikini Team match? I'm sure many wanted to....(place drooling smile here)

I love the t-shirt ideas, any body in the shirt prinitng business want to make a run for the forum members?

I will say one thing though, if I've never seen someone at the range before, I give'm a visual shakedown male or female. I'm starting to lose track of the number of loaded guns I've seen aimed down the line with a finger on the trigger. I long ago lost track of the number of idiots I've seen bench their guns with the actions closed and start to head downrange

I know what you mean. I very rarely shoot on public ranges anymore. My gun club has an indoor range and every member gets a door key. Go there after midnight - which I have many, many times (and many more to come) - and you can be sure of having the place to yourself....and I like it like that.

I've thought alot about the male psyche and have developed some pretty interesting theories on WHY they're compelled to help... someday I'll tell y'all about it :ph34r:

I blame alot of that on the Walt Disney's of the World. (for guys and gals)

The behavior in the letter is hardly limited to shooting ranges. It's not as bad anymore, but ten years ago, almost any woman in a serious gym (not a "spa" or health club) got treated that way and worse. It complicated matters that some of them were there specifically for that kind of treatment, but I digress.

It's a matter of boys being around girls when they're not expecting girls to be there.

That's no excuse of course, but that's the way it is.

And of course, if I see an attractive woman, I'm going to say "Hi" and perhaps linger in the area, but I try to avoid anything that could result in prosecution. ;)

Edited by rhino

And of course, if I see an attractive woman, I'm going to say "Hi" and perhaps linger in the area, but I try to avoid anything that could result in prosecution. ;)

Such as flapping in the breeze after you kneel? :P:lol:

P.S. You knew it was coming.........

I'm with Ron. If that happened on my local range, the only thing that would beat the poor bastard to the hospital would be the headlights of the ambulance he was riding in. (Stolen from Heartbreak Ridge):P

DISCLAIMER: I in no way am advocating the damaging of people.;)