Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.22 Rimfire in IDPA?

Jane

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello: I like the idea :cheers: It may get more people out to shoot. I have heard soooo many times that I only shoot once a month because of the cost. That comes from retired people who have the time just not the funds. I also think it would help out junior shooters to enjoy the sport and get started in it. Thanks, Eric

Jane,

I tried to vote no, which worked. But I still had to select an answer from part 2. Either I messed this up, or this is going to skew the data.

kr

Thanks, Ken.

My first experience creating a poll on this board. I added a generic NO answer to the second question.

Jane

On a local level I think they should allow a .22 division and let them shoot along with the centerfire people. Something like that might make it easier on getting kids started, or people like my wife who might try it if she didnt have to shoot a larger caliber.

I'm not really interested in seeing the .22 division at Major matches, but wouldnt be opposed to it if it got more people to come out and shoot them.

Require holsters. Even if its a $10 nylon.

Edited by DWFAN

If it gets more shooters out, why not, especially juniors. Little tough if a piece of steel activates a drop or swinger, most times a 22 will not drop it. The 22 conversions for standard pistols are gaining popularity for 1911's, Beretta's, Glock's etc. but I think scoring would be an issue. Maybe they just shoot it for fun and practice?

Jane,

I tried to vote no, which worked. But I still had to select an answer from part 2. Either I messed this up, or this is going to skew the data.

kr

Same here but I was able to select the NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO in the second part. I wanted to vote NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO Heck No in the first part too. There are games for the .22, IDPA isn't one of them.

From the rule book:

Purpose

IDPA is a shooting sport that uses practical

equipment including full charge service

ammunition to solve simulated “real world”

self-defense scenarios.

Seems allowing .22 would be a major change from the founding principals. And considering IDPA supposedly exists because of deviations from founding principals in other organizations, that seems a bit wrong.

People can shoot .22 in IDPA anytime they want at a local match as far as I am concerned. It just shouldn't be for score...

-rvb

Poll questions taken from page 3 of May, 2010, Tactical Journal.

I think that if they allow .22 it should be done along the lines of a BUG match or a side match but not "with" the other standard IDPA shooters. I think it would be fun and a great way to get new people interested in shooting and possibly later on "graduating" to a normal IDPA match.

I think it would be a great learning tool/idea to have a "new shooter class" run through a couple of stages with a 10 round .22 just to get them used to the commands and what happens at a match before they shoot with a full size 9mm or larger.

I won't turn away someone with a 22 at a local match (especially a junior), but they won't be shooting for score either. No place for it at sanctioned matches imo.

On a local level I think they should allow a .22 division and let them shoot along with the centerfire people. Something like that might make it easier on getting kids started, or people like my wife who might try it if she didnt have to shoot a larger caliber.

I'm not really interested in seeing the .22 division at Major matches, but wouldnt be opposed to it if it got more people to come out and shoot them.

Require holsters. Even if its a $10 nylon.

On the local level, an IDPA match still has to follow IDPA rules including equipment rules.

Once a child or feeble adult can handle a full sized 9mm pistol and can safely negotiate the courses of fire, then and only then are they ready to participate in IDPA or USPSA/IPSC for that matter.

If you need a .22 to learn how to shoot, then the learning should be at a static range. Action handgun sports are not the place for "learning" at that level.

IDPA/IPSC/USPSA are supposed to be practical shooting sports using ammunition of a specified power factor. DON'T "dumb down" the practical shooting sports. Please.

Edited by Steve J

So, if someone brings their child along and asks if they can shoot some stages with the 22, you'd turn them away? If they've demonstrated an ability to do so safely, I just don't see a reason. You could well be turning away 2 shooters, if the only way Dad can shoot is if he brings Junior along. I agree that local matches still need to follow the rules, but I don't know why you couldn't have a 'juniors 22 fun shoot' along side your IDPA match.

So, if someone brings their child along and asks if they can shoot some stages with the 22, you'd turn them away? If they've demonstrated an ability to do so safely, I just don't see a reason. You could well be turning away 2 shooters, if the only way Dad can shoot is if he brings Junior along. I agree that local matches still need to follow the rules, but I don't know why you couldn't have a 'juniors 22 fun shoot' along side your IDPA match.

Yes. We strickly enforce a 9mm to 45acp policy. Apart from the minimum caliber and power factor rules, each one of our stages has steel activated moving targets. .22 won't cut it.

We have many matches in our local area to included Steel Challenge matches. Steel Challenge is the place for .22 rimfire, but even there THE MATCH is not the place to teach a child (or adult for that matter) to shoot. Learn to shoot first, then come to the match.

We don't have the capacity for side matches or fun shoots. Our match attendance pushes our time limits each and every weekend. "Shooter charity" detracts from everyone's match experience. We work well with new shooters and make them feel welcome, but like I said before, a match is not the place to learn how to shoot.

Our Club runs two IDPA matches a month, and one more match that's more basic and not under IDPA rules. It's fun gets lots of turn out and lets you shoot stuff that will not qualify for IDPA. But it's not IDefensivePA

Better to let the light calibers and Retro hardware shoot there own match

Boats

Yes. We strickly enforce a 9mm to 45acp policy. Apart from the minimum caliber and power factor rules, each one of our stages has steel activated moving targets. .22 won't cut it.

We have many matches in our local area to included Steel Challenge matches. Steel Challenge is the place for .22 rimfire, but even there THE MATCH is not the place to teach a child (or adult for that matter) to shoot. Learn to shoot first, then come to the match.

We don't have the capacity for side matches or fun shoots. Our match attendance pushes our time limits each and every weekend. "Shooter charity" detracts from everyone's match experience. We work well with new shooters and make them feel welcome, but like I said before, a match is not the place to learn how to shoot.

OK, fair enough. There's no Steel Challenge in the immediate area here, and our club matches don't have any capacity issues. I never said a match was a place for someone to learn to shoot; I'm not sure where that came from.

I agree 100% that there shouldn't be an official IDPA 22 division for the reasons stated. Would you agree that it's up to the local match director whether to allow someone to do it for fun alongside the IDPA match?

Would you agree that it's up to the local match director whether to allow someone to do it for fun alongside the IDPA match?

No, the match director is there to enforce IDPA rules. Use of a .22 in a match is not allowed, nor should it ever be allowed in an IDPA match IMO. Far too often local club variations on the rules become fixed in far too many people's minds as "the rules". Most people don't read the rule book or debate the rules on the internet. They simply do what the squad safety officer, match director, or club allow them to do and believe it to be correct. Every IDPA MD needs to be on the same page and enforce the rules equally - competition and equipment rules. If you want to have a .22 match, by all means do so, but don't call it an IDPA match.

Hello: Ever notice the "Old Farts" are the ones who say no :roflol: What is going to happen in 10 years when you will be saying there is no young shooters shooting IDPA. Most of the matches I've been to the average age is over 50 for IDPA. They are not getting the 20-30 year old crowd at all. I think it would help the sport more than most of you think to allow 22's. Take a look at SASS and what they are doing. Also look at Steel Challenge. Most of the young guns have started in SASS and Steel challenge because they can shoot there. Thanks, Eric

Eric, Eric, Eric, the 20-30 year old crowd can man-the-**** up and follow the rules. That means caliber and power factor and equipment rules.

Do we need a kiddy pool? No. Do we need a kiddy pool for adults? Hell no. ;)