Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm minor PF

Field

cause yeah i was loading to 135-136 but then it seems like everybody else shooting 9mm ive talked to or tried out thier ammo it has been lighter. i mean to do kind of have a moral dilemma now with using lighter loads because it makes the whole ipsc thing even more of an artificial environment that doesnt translate to RL but then if it is going to help you get a higher classification or do better at matches and other people are doing it i guess dropping down from 4.3g to 4.2g of titegroup isnt going to ruin me. ha.

Edited by Field

cause yeah i was loading to 135-136 but then it seems like everybody else shooting 9mm ive talked to or tried out thier ammo it has been lighter. i mean to do kind of have a moral dilemma now with using lighter loads because it makes the whole ipsc thing even more of an artificial environment that doesnt translate to RL but then if it is going to help you get a higher classification or do better at matches and other people are doing it i guess dropping down from 4.3g to 4.2g of titegroup isnt going to ruin me. ha.

It depends an what those other guys loads were. Different powders will feel different at a given pf. Also different weight bullets will make a huge difference in how recoil is perceived. i.e 115's snappy, 147's more "sluggish" as in more of a push than a pop, and 124's are in the middle somewhere.

In all reality, would it make much difference if a bullet hits you in the chest at 125pf or 165pf??? From another stand point in a RL situation you will not feel any recoil. My 2 cents.

for the past two years i have been using 4.2-4.3 gr of Universal Clays, 125gr .356 Zero rn and federal primers. it made 132 pf at last years Nats. it has a very quick reciol impulse to get the sights back on target and is very managable during rapid fire. im using this ammo for my g34 and my 1911.

RL has nothing to do with it. USPSA says 125 PF minor 165 PF Major.

In all reality, would it make much difference if a bullet hits you in the chest at 125pf or 165pf??? From another stand point in a RL situation you will not feel any recoil. My 2 cents.

hmm im getting the consensus that 132pf would be the numerical sweet spot to go for with most bullet/powder combos.

More important than trying to hit a "sweet spot" is making sure that you are achieving the best possible accuracy out of your pistol. I have seen and heard people talk incessantly about their 125.5PF load and how wonderfully soft-shooting they are only to find out that their best groups are "paper-plate sized" at 10 yards.

I have found out that, in my pistol, a 135PF load groups better than lighter loads. FWIW I am referring to a 135gr LRN bullets over 3.8gr of Solo 1000 with a 1.125"OAL. With this load I can get consistent 2.5" groups out to 25yds (from a bench) out of my G17. Going down to 130PF didn't feel much different in terms of recoil impulse and my groups were about 1" bigger.

Edited by Cy Soto

You want to give yourself some slack to allow for variation so a 130PF is reasonable. BUT... It really depends on your gun.

A 130PF can be a bit light for some guns and you may actually find you are gaining a reduced recoil at the expense of performance. Too light a load and you can have problems feeding and you may even have some problems with steel. Many people favor a 147gr bullet loaded to about a 135-140 PF. Plenty of power for the steel and cycling without much recoil.

I'm confident enough in my load and my math that I could load down to 126 if I wanted to. What I'm not confident enough in is popper calibration. 130-135 is a good place to be.

I'm running about 130'ish in my 9mm 5" single stack. 115gr Zero or MG JHP with 4.4 gr of N320 at 1.135" OAL for about 1130 fps. This will group less than 4" at 50 yards out of my Schuemann 5" gain twist barrel.

It's snappy but it is primarily loaded for Bianchi. :P

Chris

115gr Zero or MG JHP

good god i want some 124g Zero JHPs those are the sexiest looking bullets.....in my opinion

Yep, Zero's are some great bullets. The only problem is that they are difficult to get because everybody wants them. :cheers:

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

hmm im getting the consensus that 132pf would be the numerical sweet spot to go for with most bullet/powder combos.

Not really...that's too low if you're going to big matches. There's a thread that details this pretty well. Short version, my always 172-174PF Major Open load went 166.1 at the 2008 Nationals and the same batch of everything went 172PF at the 2009 Nationals. If I was loading for 172PF as a target, I may have gone Minor. Sub-minor means shooting for no score and you can't feel the difference between 130 and 135PF. R,