Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Leupold Delta point red dot sight

ViktorCistic

Has anyone broke one of these yet, mounted to the slide? I just ordered one and an Arredondo mount, but would really like it on the slide, and am leery of killing a $325 sight needlessly with 9 major slide velocity. What's the warranty on these?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone broke one of these yet, mounted to the slide? I just ordered one and an Arredondo mount, but would really like it on the slide, and am leery of killing a $325 sight needlessly with 9 major slide velocity. What's the warranty on these?

Supposed to be a full lifetime warranty. I only have mine mounted to my M41 so I have no idea if it will withstand the force from slide mounting. I just saw Jessie shoot hers at Area 6 but it is frame mounted. Let us know how that goes...

Edited by gng4life

I have never had issues with any of the MRD’s on a slide except the Pride Fowler. I have 2 open pistols set up for slide mounted MRD’s (Optima/ Fire Point/ J Point / Delta Point).

• The first one was done by SHPD (built around 1997-98) where the Optima weaver mount was trimmed down and screwed in to the slide retaining the locator points between the mount and optic, to aid in not losing zero when changing batteries. I have changed batteries thousands of times and never lost Zero. This has Optima that was a replacement under warranty when the first lens became loose in the body, no issues in 125,000 rounds since on this optic.

• The second one has the Arredondo double battery package mount that Arredondo milled the slide for with the locator points machined in to the slide. I have changed batteries thousands of times and never lost Zero on this set up either. This had a Fire Point picked up on close out, no issues in 125,000 rounds on this optic. The electronics are becoming tired; the dot is not as bright as it was be even with a double battery. I recently switched it over to the Delta point as a replacement. The Delta point has been great on this; I have been shooting this for several months with no issues. Still running the same battery and the only zero change was related to the load changes as I needed to burn up the last of my SP2 and then go back to N350.

On both guns I have no issues with retaining zero and only re-zero when making a change to my load.

I tried a Pride Fowler and it did not last, the battery door screws striped themselves under recoil in less than 1,000 rounds.

Out.

2011BLDR

How does the DeltaPoint compare to the C-more STS? Has anyone had both to make the comparison? (from shopping results it looks like the STS would be cheaper) If so, which did you prefer and why? Don't have to write an essay about the pros and cons just a simple reply would be greatly welcomed. I'm looking at getting a Limcat mount from Johnny to use on my Razorcat 9mm major pistol to replace the Quinn 2 C-more that I'm currently using and would appreciate any input offered.

How does the DeltaPoint compare to the C-more STS? Has anyone had both to make the comparison? (from shopping results it looks like the STS would be cheaper) If so, which did you prefer and why? Don't have to write an essay about the pros and cons just a simple reply would be greatly welcomed. I'm looking at getting a Limcat mount from Johnny to use on my Razorcat 9mm major pistol to replace the Quinn 2 C-more that I'm currently using and would appreciate any input offered.

I have both right now. The STS is mounted on my wife's Ruger 22/45 and I have the DP mounted on my Ruger Rifle, both are used for Steel Challenge. I have shot both for a while and although it took a while to get use to the triangle over the dot, I love the DP now. In fact, we are talking about selling her STS and getting her a DP also. We both prefer the DP for 1) very crisp and clear glass, 2) wider FOV, 3) sharp triangle that adjust quick and perfect to light, 4) Triangle is good for speed and precision using the center to cover or tip, 5) lower profile, 6) the cost was very close to each other. If you search around, you will find these sights within $20 or $30 of each other so the cost difference is trivial. The one advantage the STS has is the the intensity is auto or manual - I like that feature. Since you didn't want an essay, I will stop here but I am a firm believer in the DP product.

Supposed to be a full lifetime warranty. I only have mine mounted to my M41 so I have no idea if it will withstand the force from slide mounting. I just saw Jessie shoot hers at Area 6 but it is frame mounted. Let us know how that goes...

Full life time warranty on the glass and the housing but only 2 years or so on the electronics.

I put a Delta Point on my Saiga open shotgun and love it.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I got an Arredondo mount from Shooter's Connection, and ordered the Delta Point from Big Supply, they had them for $315. Appears I got the last one, they show out of stock. The mount took a couple hours of fitting to my gun. Unless you have a flat top slide, you will have to take off a lot metal for it to clear the top of the slide. I also had to relieve it to clear the side and bottom of the slide. I think it had a lot to do with where the Serendipity holes were drilled. As soon as the Delta Point gets here, I'll be ready to roll.

The Deltapoint is the better sight compared to the STS. My STS washes out pretty bad in the AZ sun, the DP(7.5moa) has no issues. I tried the Deltapoint on one of my 9mm "Open" guns with the Arredondo mount, I really liked the sight enough to see if it might replace the Cmore(12 moa) w/90' mount on my "Open" guns. Well the Arredondo mount went right on and the whole thing was a Very Clean Setup, not one malfunction in approx 1500 rnds of shooting. But I noticed a few things that I decided to return to the Cmore. As much as I practiced I would sometimes loose the triangle when shooting weak hand, strong hand was no problem. The lens (window) is smaller vertically then the Cmore and that of course is where the triangle or dot moves during firing - up and down. Another thing that kinda caught me off guard was the recoil seemed harsher with the Deltapoint on the gun...enough that I did not like the feel. I assume the plastic body of the Cmore with the added total weight of the 90' mount dampened the felt recoil some. In the end I just did not feel I shot the DP as well as the Cmore...given more time this might have changed but there was no getting around the perceived recoil difference. The Triangle on the DP is super clear and onced zeroed it did not move POI at all in 1500 rnds, cannot say the same for my Cmores. The Deltapoint is now going to sit on the slide of a dedicated 3gun pistol (9mm) where I can take advantage of some different holster options. And I would agree the 7.5 moa would be a great shotgun sight.

• 2 weeks later...

i have a dp mounted on my m&p 9mm open gun and have shot around 1,000 rds.in it and it works great .my son and i just shot it at the psa shootout with over 500 rds in 2days .

jerry

anybody tried mounting one of these sideways on a 90 degree mount ? I am thinking of one of these or a STS on a 90 degree mount on a caspian framed drilled for the 3 hole cmore.

The issue with using a 90 degree mount with a sight like the Deltapoint would be getting the sight over far enough for the lens and dot to align with the bore axis. Some offset could probably be accounted for with the sight's dot adjustment, but probably not enough. Besides, I think you are solving a problem that is not a problem because other options exist that put the small sight just over the slide. The C-More is far taller and therefore, getting the dot to align with the bore axis is not really an issue with the current crop of 90 degree mounts.

You would probably be further ahead to use one of the small, very light frame mounts like the Arredondo or the JV Dynamic mounts. Both are drilled for the C-More screw pattern - .375 between centers, and will put the sight right over the ejection port aligned on the bore axis and very low so that the sight is not a whole lot higher than a slide mounted sight. In my opinion, the dot is very easy to find with either of these frame mounts. I use a bullet-proofed Doctor mounted on a JV Dynamics frame mount on a 38 Supercomp open gun, but have been thinking of trying the Deltapoint because of the good things I've heard thus far.

Reading this thread and the urge to try the DP made me take the plunge. I really like how the DP is setup on my gun, Arrendondo mount with GasPedal. I put around around 800 rounds through then gun with the DP, then shot a match with it. Two stages later the dot died during an array, I stopped and confirm that the dot died. I then want to the next array and they dot was back on. I finished the match with no more problems. Any ideas why this happened?....shooting Double Tap next month and wound hate for this happen again or get worse.

The issue with using a 90 degree mount with a sight like the Deltapoint would be getting the sight over far enough for the lens and dot to align with the bore axis. Some offset could probably be accounted for with the sight's dot adjustment, but probably not enough.

There used to be a mount (Siedler?) for the Glock that has the dot offset to the left. I think it was a non-issue. As I recall the math, it was maybe a bullet width off, maybe a bullet and a half. If you sight that in at distance, I don't see it as much to deal with. It is less offset than we see with the dots above the bore, and those bring the variable of bullet drop more into play, fwiw. It does look funny, though.

Mounting it sideways...I wonder if you'd get the benefit of the bigger viewing area of the Delta Point being vertical...which might help make the dot easier to find?

Reading this thread and the urge to try the DP made me take the plunge. I really like how the DP is setup on my gun, Arrendondo mount with GasPedal. I put around around 800 rounds through then gun with the DP, then shot a match with it. Two stages later the dot died during an array, I stopped and confirm that the dot died. I then want to the next array and they dot was back on. I finished the match with no more problems. Any ideas why this happened?....shooting Double Tap next month and wound hate for this happen again or get worse.

I have had experience with this and have found a solution that is an easy one. The battery may be moving slightly under recoil and that may be just enough to allow it to move away from the battery contacts in the sight. We've found that cutting a small disk the size of the battery from weather stripping or rubberized pipe wrap and placing it on the mount under the battery will help hold the battery secure. A small piece of electric tape on the mount under the battery may be enough to do this as well, which is what JoJo Vidanes recommends with his JV dynamics mount. If this solution doesn't work, the battery contacts may have an issue or perhaps even the battery itself. Try this easy fix first and I'll bet the issue will go away.

• 1 month later...

I have had experience with this and have found a solution that is an easy one. The battery may be moving slightly under recoil and that may be just enough to allow it to move away from the battery contacts in the sight. We've found that cutting a small disk the size of the battery from weather stripping or rubberized pipe wrap and placing it on the mount under the battery will help hold the battery secure. A small piece of electric tape on the mount under the battery may be enough to do this as well, which is what JoJo Vidanes recommends with his JV dynamics mount. If this solution doesn't work, the battery contacts may have an issue or perhaps even the battery itself. Try this easy fix first and I'll bet the issue will go away.

I have been using these : http://www.amazon.com/Shepherd-Hardware-9974-Surface-Gard/dp/B00004YOHX

on slide mounted Docter sights for years with excellent results. They hold the battery firmly. ;)

Later,

Chuck

I tried the 7.5 on an Arredondo mount, and didn't care for it. Delta was too big & left the lens. I went with a Quinn II & a cmore & love it. Ugly but very functional.

The Delta Point is a quality sight, but I did not care for it on my open gun. I sold it to a buddy who is using it on his Saiga, and it appears to be great there.

Edited by OPENB

post-29762-0-56326800-1308520852_thumb.jEarlier this year I built an open gun based on my Glock 17, added a deltapoint and had it milled into the slide by bowie tactical. he installed backup iron sites dovetailed into the slide as well. I went all out with the gun - SJC 5-port comp, KKM barrel, edge trigger kit from Glock Triggers, etc. It shoots very well, and the sight is nice and bright. my problem now is that I really like shooting production so I am considering selling the open 17... the deltapoint is a great site and I would recommend it...

Thanks,

Tom

Delta was too big & left the lens.

What do you mean by too big? Was looking into giving one a try.

I think he meant the triangle was too big. It is a little big but I like it for Steel Challenge, faster acquisition on target since it's not about precision. You can also sight it in with the top of the triangle as a POA and then just center your close-in shots. I shoot it with shots centered in the triangle and I don't have any problems. I use it on my rimfire rifle.

Right, the triangle was too big. If I tried one again, it would be the smaller dot. The oval shape of the lens did not help. It gave me the visual effect of a square peg in a round hole. At arms length, the triangle appeared huge. It is a well made optic, just not ideal for me. Rumor is there will be a Cmore STS with a bigger lens. That will be worth a look.